[N8VEM: 20065] Motorola 68k, someone experienced with CodeICE ?
Carlo Pisani
2015-09-02 22:49:30 UTC
hi guys
I am looking for someone experienced with *CodeICE* made by *Applied
Microsystems* ('90) to support *Motorola* in their 68K cpu family. *CodICEs*
were used in *Avionics* (purpose: say if a firmware is DO178B compliant)
before they switched to *PowerPC* (which are currently in use), so if you
are lucky you can find an obsolete professional tool for a few hundred
bucks instead of thousand bucks.

And so happened to me: a recycler has provided me an offer, just 200 USD
for a full working *CodeICE *including a CPU_POD cable for 020, but I have
no experience with such equipment and i't like to have a little talk, we
say "to have a feedback" from an experienced user.

My doubts are on the software side. *CodeICE* needs a control program, it's
available for *Microsoft Windows* under the name of "*MWX-ICE/Win*".
Currently I do not have it, and I have no informations about, and from what
I have read from the brochure, the support list includes { *MRI, DIAB, GNU,
Intermetrics, Greenhills* }, so I wonder about the *GNU toolchain* support,
but I can't find more informations.

I know monitors, I am experienced with *mon68k* (especially because it
understands and uploads *S19*), and I am used to debug with the *put
char/put string*, it's not a good debugging method but it's cheap
 but now
I want to try something not intrusive, especially if I want to play with
RTOS toys (oh, well, I like ucOS/2, I have already ported to an ARM node
using Keil ucBision + their hw ICE), and about 68K I am tempted by the
*CodeICE* because of its *convenient profiling* and *code coverage*
support, plus the *instruction trace* feature which claims to capture 64K
frames of execution history that will verify the correct performance of the
software and hardware, and help *pinpoint errors* that may occur in the
program’s execution.

Someone had fun with *CodeICE/0x0*?

Thanks
Carlo
Carlo Pisani
2015-09-02 23:09:29 UTC
I forgot!

my "*professional*" toolchain is SierraC/68k, it was used by
*TexasInstruments* to develop their pocket calculators (TI89, TI92,
).
I found a good bargain on an exchange-fair (in *Friedrichshafen*, Germany)
and I bought the cheapest the had, even if the cheapest they have is a DOS
program, and I am more a Linux/PPC guy. They also had a Windows version,
which also includes a pretty IDE, but they were asking too much.

Mine is just a console toolchain, there is no IDE, no other tools, but the
C compiler is ANSI/C, and it's very simple to be used, also it generates
good code. It supports 000, 010, 020, 030, 040, it does not support 060 and
CPU32. Also I do not have a *floating point l*ibrary, but I do not have an
FPU in my system so I am fine.

The other toolchain I use is *GNU/{BINUTILS,GCC}-68k*, with the support of
*GDB* and *DDD*.

I have to understand if the *debug symbols made by Sierra* and *GCC* is
compliant with *MWX-ICE/Win*