[N8VEM: 17920] SBC-188 DOS compatibility
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-04-26 18:46:07 UTC
Gents,

I was wondering about the SBC-188 DOS compatibility. I don't see a 82C54
PIT on the schematic, and I still remember that there was some interrupt
fired periodically at 18.2 Hz, so maybe this timer is required. Did you
run DOS on this board, and is this PIT required for DOS?

Regards,
Nikolay
Gerald Sherman
2014-04-26 19:04:23 UTC
Nikolay
If you recall, the original "idiotic blue machine" used a 3.579545 Mhz.
colour burst crystal for all its timing. The crystal was multiplied by 4
for the CGA card, & the CGA timing was divided by 3 for the CPU. If I
recall correctly, the CPU clock was divided by a power of 2 to come down to
the 18.2 real time clock interrupt frequency. You would need the IRQ for
the clock, unless you can modify DOS (assuming you have the DOS source code
or a clone of it).
Gerry Sherman

2014-04-26 20:04:51 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
The 80C188 has internal timers, DMA, &amp;c.&nbsp; It provides much of
what the IBM BIOS requires.<br>
The 18.2hz timer is derived from the CPU crystal:&nbsp; at XX mhz, one
timer divides the CPU clock by XX to yield a 1mhz frequency;
pre-scaled by 4, then divided by 13731 (magic number), the resulting
clock is within 0.1% of the DOS tick; it is close enough to maintain
the BIOS time-of-day locations.<br>
Why 13731 works, and why it jives so closely with 14.318182mhz, /3 =
4.772727mhz, I don't know.<br>
--John<br>
On 04/26/2014 11:46 AM, Nikolay Dimitrov wrote:
I was wondering about the SBC-188 DOS compatibility. I don't see a
82C54 PIT on the schematic, and I still remember that there was
some interrupt fired periodically at 18.2 Hz, so maybe this timer
is required. Did you run DOS on this board, and is this PIT
required for DOS?
Regards,
Nikolay

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br />
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-04-26 20:19:08 UTC
Hi John,
The 80C188 has internal timers, DMA, &c. It provides much of what the
IBM BIOS requires.
Ahh, now I see. Thanks!

Regards,
Nikolay