[N8VEM: 16584] N8VEM - Z80 variant options
Werner S
2013-12-01 13:54:41 UTC
Hi guys!

Will a Z84C0006PEG CPU (datasheet online at
http://datasheet.octopart.com/Z84C0006PEG-Zilog-datasheet-507436.pdf) work
with the N8VEM? Would I need a 6 MHz CPU clock for it or will a 4 MHz work,
too?

We also have a couple of Z84C0010PEG's laying around. Can we use these with
the N8VEM in combination with a 10 MHz crystal?

Thanks in advance,

Werner
2013-12-01 15:29:53 UTC
Post by Werner S
Hi guys!
Will a Z84C0006PEG CPU (datasheet online at
http://datasheet.octopart.com/Z84C0006PEG-Zilog-datasheet-507436.pdf)
work with the N8VEM? Would I need a 6 MHz CPU clock for it or will a 4
MHz work, too?
The 6Mhz part will operate at clock rates up to 6Mhz; so it is fine with
a 4Mhz clock.
Post by Werner S
We also have a couple of Z84C0010PEG's laying around. Can we use these
with the N8VEM in combination with a 10 MHz crystal?
Same comment as above. This CPU may be used at any clock rate up to 10Mhz.

I have tested the N8VEM SBC v2 at clock rates up to 12Mhz (with a 20Mhz
part). The speed limitation is the speed of the memory chips and
_peripheral chips_, not the board logic itself.

--John
Post by Werner S
Thanks in advance,
Werner
Werner S
2013-12-01 15:31:50 UTC
Thank you very much for your fast reply and confirming my assumptions!
Post by Werner S
We also have a couple of Z84C0010PEG's laying around. Can we use these
with the N8VEM in combination with a 10 MHz crystal?
Same comment as above. This CPU may be used at any clock rate up to 10Mhz.
I have tested the N8VEM SBC v2 at clock rates up to 12Mhz (with a 20Mhz
part). The speed limitation is the speed of the memory chips and
_peripheral chips_, not the board logic itself.
--John
Post by Werner S
Thanks in advance,
Werner
2013-12-01 15:30:53 UTC
Hi Werner,

As far as I know, these CPUs should work at their rated frequency or lower,
so you shouldn't have any issues to run your Z84C0006PEG on 4 MHz. The docs
are also saying that the CPUs are static ICs, which means you can clock them as
slow as you want - I've clocked my Z84C0010PEG as low as 1Hz, during a debugging
session, and it worked OK.

Hope this helps,
picmaster