[N8VEM: 17066] Building the 6x0x ATX/VME board
John Coffman
2014-01-09 02:38:27 UTC
Dan Werner
2014-01-09 03:48:17 UTC
I also had the issues with the single row headers not fitting properly and I
have the same concerns with the keyboard connector that I used. I have the
board assembled, but I am still waiting on more ICs (still expected this
week) before the board is complete. I expect to be able to make
significant progress this weekend.

Dan Werner

#1. Clearance issue with the Serial I/O headers:

(yellow rectangles)

If straight-up header arrays are used, the MAX232 sockets interfere with any
connector you try to attach to the board. I suggest right-angle headers to
allow the female connectors to seat properly on the 10-pin headers.

#2. Pin header insertion issues:

All double row pin headers & jumper arrays (blue rectangles) fit easily into
40mil holes in the board footprint.

However all single row pin headers and jumpers (orange rectangles) need to
be hammered into 32mil holes. What happened to the 40mil holes used on
previous boards?

#3. Question: Is there an error (yellow rectangle) in the connection of
the keyboard connector. The P/S2 keyboard connects only 6-pins, and the two
circled in yellow are not attached on the connector. Why is there a trace
going to one of the non-connected pins? This indicates some kind of
connection error, perhaps related to the difference in pin numbering on an
8-pin connector (board footprint) vs. a 6-pin connector (correct footprint).
Would an 8-pin connector for the keyboard mate correctly with the 6-pin P/S2
plug?

--John