[N8VEM: 19236] N8 Home computer - parts
Borut
2015-01-21 23:15:25 UTC
Hi everybody!

I have had the N8 board in a drawer for more than a year and now it is
finally it's turn.

Can someone tell me a bit more about sourcing the parts for N8.
Specifically at this moment i am interested in:
What is specific (besides frequency) about crystal for TMS9918?
A source for FMS6141, preferably in Europe?
How to make L! inductor?
Any other information or experiences are also welcome.

Best regards,

Bo/
Dan Werner
2015-01-27 17:55:51 UTC
you need a 10.738635Mhz parallel resonant crystal for the TMS9918. They
are not easy to find! I believe that the mouser part# 774-MP107-E will
work, but I have not tested that particular part. If you get a series
resonant crystal, you will not get a colorburst signal and the picture will
be black and white.

I do not know about the FMS6141 as I did not include that in my N8.

I used a Ferrite Bead as the Inductor in mine.

Dan Werner
Borut
2015-01-29 13:01:49 UTC
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I have found a crystal with correct frequency at the
local shop, but i don't know whether it is parallel or serial. But
fortunately there is a spare socket, so i can build an oscillator if it is
the wrong type.
Do you know how is the situation with MSX compatible bios?
Is there any description of board settings for MSX?
Has anyone wound the inductor himself?
If i calculated correctly 5 turns on 1/4 inch diameter should be about
right.

Best regards,
Bo/
Dan Werner
2015-01-29 14:12:18 UTC
The MSX BIOS works great with the floppy, but has not yet been adjusted for
the new SD Card Interface. (I got distracted with the 6x0x . . . ) The
MSX BIOS uses FAT16 formatted floppies and SD Cards and there should be a
FAT16 floppy image with a couple of games on it in the Wiki. If not I can
image a disk quickly.

As soon as I get some free time I will adjust the MSX BIOS for the new SD
Card interface.

Dan
Borut
2015-01-29 14:44:01 UTC
Hi Dan,

While you are at it, would it be possible to adjust the bios for the IDE
and CF card?
But anything besides floppies, i don't even have a PC with a floppy drive
any more.

Bo/

Dan Werner