[N8VEM: 19964] SD-CARD socket trouble
RHKoolaap
2015-08-08 19:17:00 UTC
Hi all

I don't know if this is already known, but here it is anyway

I had bigtime wierdess going on while testing different SD cards. Some
cards would work, while others didn't
after much swapping and pulled out hairs I found that a particular socket
with a certain type of card refused to work.
I'll spare you the process, but this is what is happening:
the contact of an SD card lies in a recess, with a plastic lip in front.
The contact fingers of some socket types do not always reach deep enough to
touch the SD-card contacts because they remain supported by the plastic lip
which is a fraction too high.

The solution is to scrape a little bit of plastic of the lip of the SD
card, so that it is flush with the copper contacts, and your troubles are
over.
In all clearness I do NOT mean the plastic separation between the contacts.
It is the part the socket contact touches first, before it lands on the
SD-contact itself.

I found that this problem occurs mainly with SD-microSD converters.

success, RHK
2015-08-08 19:36:46 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
RHK,<br>
I have not experienced this problem with FCI or TEconn sockets, and
with cards from SanDisk, PQI, Kingston, Canon, or Pretec.&nbsp; Nor with
micro-SD to SD adapters from Kingston.<br>
--John<br>
On 08/08/2015 12:17 PM, RHKoolaap wrote:
cite="mid:38ddfe78-4952-4b78-afef-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
anyway</div>
cards. Some cards would work, while others didn't</div>
particular socket with a certain type of card refused to work.</div>
lip in front. The contact fingers of some socket types do not
always reach deep enough to touch the SD-card contacts because
they remain supported by the plastic lip which is a fraction
too high.&Acirc;&nbsp;</div>
lip of the SD card, so that it is flush with the copper
contacts, and your troubles are over.</div>
between the contacts. It is the part the socket contact
touches first, before it lands on the SD-contact itself.</div>
converters.</div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
RHKoolaap
2015-08-08 20:21:04 UTC
Hi John

Well then you are a happy guy. I never had this problem either (Or so I
thought...) And I'll never have it again :-)

I'm a cheap bastard... My stuff usually comes from ebay,
However an original samsung (EVO) adapter (not ebay) also gave me trouble,
while a standard size (cheap) SD card didn't (in the same socket)
It is worth checking when things go wierd. one small casting defect is all
it takes. A simple pocket knife solves it.
RHK,
I have not experienced this problem with FCI or TEconn sockets, and with
cards from SanDisk, PQI, Kingston, Canon, or Pretec. Nor with micro-SD to
SD adapters from Kingston.
--John
Hi all
I don't know if this is already known, but here it is anyway
I had bigtime wierdess going on while testing different SD cards. Some
cards would work, while others didn't
after much swapping and pulled out hairs I found that a particular socket
with a certain type of card refused to work.
the contact of an SD card lies in a recess, with a plastic lip in front.
The contact fingers of some socket types do not always reach deep enough to
touch the SD-card contacts because they remain supported by the plastic lip
which is a fraction too high.Â