[N8VEM: 19888] Grant Searle's multicomputer. FPGA utilization
RHKoolaap
2015-07-23 16:11:10 UTC
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me going on yammering about this FPGA configuration.
I do realize it probably interests only a few people.

Anyway, I wanted to implement a video terminal and 2 serial terminals, and
ran into an LE shortage on the chip.
I realized that I only use 32 and 48 k banks in my builds, so I trimmed
down the MMU (sorry John and Will) to use 4 segments of 16 Kb instead of 16
segments of 4kB. This freed up enough LEs to build the above configuration
without any trouble (56 LEs left over)
Changing the code for BIOSes and monitor is trivial.

A while ago I also built Grant's Z80 single board computer which I am now
going to update with a memory manager so I can get CPM3 and MPM to run
properly on that machine too. FPGAs are fun, but not enough soldering :-)

See Ya, RHK