[N8VEM: 16484] 6809 Stand Alone
AG5AT
2013-11-13 20:50:54 UTC
Good and not so good news on my 6808 cpu board, io board, and ecb bus board.

It works, --- sort of --

Boot from hard disk:
N8VEM 6809 ROM MONITOR READY.
BOOT FROM (F)LOPPY OR (H)DD

RAM... Passed

CUBIX version 1.3

Copyright 1983-2005 Dave Dunfield
All rights reserved

*dir c:[*]

Directory C:[SYSTEM]

BOOTGEN.EXE COPY.EXE DIR.EXE FDCMON09.EXE LDIR.EXE
TESTID.EXE

Total of 6 files.
*
The not so good news is the HD access is verrrryyyy sloooooow. It works
but slow.
This disk worked fine with the same diskio card plugged into a 10 mhz Z80
SBC V1.

The bad news is the floppy drive just gets errors. The same drive and disk
works fine with the SBC V1.

Any thoughts??

Aug
AG5AT
Andrew Lynch
2013-11-14 00:22:49 UTC
Yay! Congratulations Aug! Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Dan Werner
AG5AT

Dan Werner
2013-11-15 14:17:33 UTC
What version of the DiskIO board? The Cubix code was never updated to any
board newer than the original Disk IO. Now that we have settled on a new
version, I really need to get that done . . . .

Dan
AG5AT
2013-11-15 14:49:31 UTC
It is a diskio V1 that I built in 2009/10. This diskio board and a SBC V1
(10 mhz Z80) and the same 6809 v2 board run in hosted mode with the same
hard disk running the CUBIX for hosted mode just fine. The floppy disk
also. Same drive, same disk. The floppy controller functions to the level
that it can move the heads ok, but doesn't seem to be able to read
successfully. The hard disk works, but is very slow. I was able to: Load
Cubix over serial. format c:, slowly. Load bootgen and run bootgen
(slowly). Reset and boot off of the hard disk (slowwwwly). Load the dir
binary over serial. Do a dir c:[*] slowwwwly.

The configuration of the diskio V1, SBC V1, 6809 V2 boards will run CUBIX
in hosted mode. I have the floppy, a zip drive and hard disk all working
just fine. CUBXPRPA, CUBXPRPB, CUBXPRPC, mterm all worked fine using this
setup. All of these as you said have the code for the diskio V1 board in
them.
Dan Werner

AG5AT
2013-11-15 17:06:51 UTC
I have verified all of the connections on the ECB Buss bridge card ohm
meter style. I need to go thru the I/O board, looking at the OE WE and
R/W. I have had an issue where the code in the 28C16 keeps getting
clobbered mostly when I am trying Floppy Disk related things, but not
limited to that. I have some 27C16s comming. The 6x0x board never had an
issue with that running in hosted mode, but lots of getting clobbered in
stand alone mode.

Aug
Dan Werner
2013-11-15 17:18:56 UTC
I never tested this wth a 28c16, so a bug is certinly possible. Could you
read the corrupted 28c16 to a file and e-mail it to me? That would help
my debugging, since I do not have any 28c16s in my parts bin.

Dan
AG5AT
2013-11-16 01:39:00 UTC
I received my 27c16a s today. I have programmed one and had issues with
it. So I did a second and put it in. It is running.
Some timings:
From the H in B[oot], H[Hard} to * prompt is 20 seconds. A "dir c:[*] is
about 10 seconds.
And the floppy still can't be read or formatted. Again the drive can be
stepped, but that's about it.
This is with an 8 mhz crystal and a 63c09 processor.

Aug
AG5AT
2013-11-16 19:55:44 UTC
Ok,
I don't know what I did, other than take the floppies back to CP/M and
re-format them, write zeros all over the disk, and re-run CUBXPRPA. But
the floppy disk is working. I was able to copy something to them, do a
bootgen and boot from the floppy.
The E5's that CP/M format writes seem to give CUBIX gas. So all zeros
helps.

I guess it could have been that at 4mhz, the floppys got corrupted, and
everything went west after that.

Dan, I have a corrected CUBXPRPA that i will upload. What it originally
writes to t 0 s 2 h0 doesn't match what a format a: under cubix writes.
It also had errors when doing a chkdisk /nomedia a: With the changes,
chkdisk runs clean.

Aug
Post by AG5AT
I received my 27c16a s today. I have programmed one and had issues with
it. So I did a second and put it in. It is running.
From the H in B[oot], H[Hard} to * prompt is 20 seconds. A "dir c:[*] is
Douglas Goodall
2013-11-14 02:04:11 UTC
Hard disc can be slow if you are doing multiple sector transfers and having to wait and extra rotation between each sector. This can be especially true with floppies. Sector skewing during formatting can make a huge difference.

---
Douglas W. Goodall
http://www.goodall.us.com
AG5AT