[N8VEM: 16202] New PropIO user questions...
Bryan Thompson
2013-09-27 04:12:51 UTC
Following my failed attempt to get a CVDU board to output to any monitor I
could lay my hands on, I bought a PropIO board.

Jumpers K1-K5 are in the 1-2 position. IO address is 10111 as shown in
docs.

I uploaded the v0.9 prop_IO.eeprom file to the EEPROM. When viewed from
the monitor, I see a video image! It reports
starting PropIO
before mount
<cursor sits here blinking>
propio v0.81 (I burned v0.9 of the eeprom)
baud rate=1018969

This is the same behavior I see when there is no CPU card installed.

A PS/2 KB is connected to the PropIO board. The NumLock light comes on
when the computer boots. However, no function keys appear to do anything.

I burned the ROMWBW PropIO to a 1MB ROM and booted it. The serial terminal
app reports:
N8VEM ***@8MHz (correct) ROM=1024K, RAM=512k,
UART0: 0x68, 16550A Baud=38400 FIFO,
PRP:
MD: Units=2, ROMDISK=960K , RAMDISK=416K<cursor sits here blinking>

Should the serial monitor show more text, or has it transferred the console
to the VGA card at the point where it stops displaying?

How should the VGA display appear different from what I see when I power
the VGA card on without a CPU attached?

Bryan
Bryan Thompson
2013-09-27 04:33:02 UTC
Forgot to add:

SD card is a 2GB Sandisk MicroSD card connected via microSD socket.
Max Scane
2013-09-27 04:46:53 UTC
Hi Bryan,

Did you put the disk files on the Micro SD? Also don't run your CPU any
faster than 6MHz with this card.

Max
Max Scane
2013-09-27 05:00:22 UTC
Also, I think if you are running ROMWBW there is an special eeprom image
for the propio.

Check the ROMWBW documentation.

Cheers!
Bryan Thompson
2013-09-27 13:29:41 UTC
Thank you, Max.

I must have missed the note about a Z80 CPU clock <= 6MHz in the docs.
Mine is currently at 8MHz, and the Propeller has the recommended 5MHz
crystal. That's an easy fix.

I am running ROMWBW, and the propio.eeprom and files on SD card from the
PropIOv0.9.zip file. I'll read through the ROMWBW docs and locate the
correct eeprom image.

Bryan
yoda

Wayne Warthen
2013-09-27 15:48:49 UTC
Hi Bryan,

All the prior advice is absolutely correct.

It looks like you are already using the correct RomWBW firmware because I
see the "PRP:" line in the startup messages. The fact that there is
nothing after it probably means it was unable to talk to it and that is (as
previously mentioned) probably due to the CPU clock being too fast on the
N8VEM.

Once you reduce the N8VEM SBC CPU clock to 6MHz or below, you should see
something after the "PRP:" in the startup indicating it sees the PropIO.

Note that JP2 will allow some control over the startup console. If JP2 is
shorted, the console will be forced to the serial port. If left open, the
console will default to the PropIO. I suggest that you short JP2 to start
with while you confirm that the SBC is communicating with the PropIO. Then
you can remove JP2 so that the console starts up on the PropIO.
Regardless, you can switch the console between the CRT and the TTY device
using the CPM commands "STAT CON:=TTY:" and "STAT CON:=CRT:".

--Wayne

Finally, note that after starting CP/M, by default, the console will still
be the serial port (TTY). You will need to issue the CP/M command "STAT
CON:=CRT:" to switch to the PropIO CRT. This behavior
Bryan Thompson
2013-09-28 00:05:38 UTC
OK, I checked, and my CPU oscillator on the SBC2 board is 4.000MHz.
Haven't determined why the console was reporting 8.000MHz yet. It appears
to do that even without the vidcard connected.

JP2 / Bus Reset is closed/shorted with jumper.

I uploaded the propio.eeprim file from the ROMWBW directory, and the SBC2
began outputting to the VGA monitor! I was able to boot to the ROM, and it
responded to PS/2 keyboard.

I'm still not able to access files on the 2GB MicroSD card, but that's a
much smaller issue. Is there another set of files on the ROMWBW media that
I need to use?

Bryan
Tregare
Wayne Warthen
2013-09-28 03:21:03 UTC
Hi Bryan,

Sounds like you've got it! To prepare the SD card for use, you will
probably want to use Doug's MULTIFMT program. You can search this Google
Group for an explanation of how to use it.

The reason you see 8MHz in the boot messages is because it is just
reporting the CPU speed that the ROM was compiled for. It is not a dynamic
CPU speed check. There are some timing/delay loops in the ROM that are
tuned based on the compiled-in CPU speed. In reality, the pre-built 8MHz
setting seems to work well for clock speeds from 2-20 MHz. Ideally, you
would eventually build a custom ROM and specify your actual clock speed in
the config file, but I would not be in any rush to do that.

--Wayne