[N8VEM: 18050] 8-slot backplane PCB group buy
William R Sowerbutts
2014-05-11 16:49:56 UTC
Hello

As Austen (almost) wrote, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a
single man in possession of a good SBC must be in want of a backplane."

I have John's fabulous Mark IV SBC up and running (it's great!) and Wayne's
PropIO V2 board is sitting on my bench waiting for its components to arrive,
but I have no way to connect the two :(

Is anyone interested in a group buy of 8-slot backplane PCBs? I am based in
London so shipping would be from the UK.

I've never bought PCBs before so if anyone has been through this process and
is willing to offer some advice and answer my innumerable questions please
let me know. If you have a PCB manufacturer to recommend (ideally in the UK)
please contact me off-list.

Many thanks

Will

William R Sowerbutts will-***@public.gmane.org
"Carpe post meridiem" http://sowerbutts.com
main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
(m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-05-11 17:09:16 UTC
Hi Will,

If you're desperate enough, you can make a DIN-to-DIN cable to connect
these boards.
Otherwise I fully agree that the backplane is the way to go.

Regarding the PCB manufacturers - my impression is that China-based PCB
fabs are
getting more and more cooperative, they have great technology and
usually unbeatable
prices (both for PCBs and shipping). I've heard people working with
Seeedstudio and
having good results, the list crowd can comment on their experience.

Kind regards,
Nikolay
Kip Koon
2014-05-12 02:35:36 UTC
Kip Koon
computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org
http://computerpcdoc.com/

Hi Will!
There are still some 12-Slot Backplanes left for the Siemens Chassis in the
Inventory. As of the writing of this email (5/11/2014 @ 5:36PM EST US) the
inventory for this PCB reads thusly.

Board / Component Available
Price (each)
ECB 12-slot backplane/Siemens 6508 chassis ***(3) 7 $35

***(3) Please contact John Coffman <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> to order.

Would this fill you need?
Kip

William R Sowerbutts
2014-07-18 10:49:01 UTC
Hello

I've obtained a quote from a British company to manufacture some ECB
backplane PCBs. I believe the actual manufacturing would take place in China.

These would be based on John's "revision 7" 8-slot ECB backplane. If I can
figure out KiCAD I will extend the board to approx 170mm length to allow more
space around the power connector and make the first slot (U0) more
accessible.

It would be a two-layer board on thick 3.2mm FR4, 1oz copper, solder resist
on both sides, silkscreen on one side, Leadfree-HAL finish, RoHS compliant.
Solder resist colour could be green, red or blue.

I am looking at an order quantity of approximately 20 boards, which gives a
price of approx 13.40GBP per board. If I allow approx 4GBP for international
shipping from London (where I live), this works out to a final cost of
approximately US$30 per board.

Lead time for delivery to me is 3 weeks, shipping time from me approx 1 week
to Europe, 2 weeks to the rest of the world.

I'd like to establish if there is sufficient interest before going ahead.
Anyone? Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer. If there is not
sufficient interest at this stage I am unlikely to proceed.

Thanks

Will
Fabio Battaglia

Edward Snider
2014-07-18 12:06:30 UTC
Hi Will,

If you are going to make design changes, you might consider adding a
battery.
More clearance for the first slot is great, definitely needs it.

Ed
2014-07-18 14:53:29 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Will,<br>
Have you checked the pricing from PCBcart.com?&nbsp; These are the guys
in China that we have used for some time.&nbsp; Check out their automatic
quote system.&nbsp; Shipping by DHL from China runs ($30 to $50) to me in
California.<br>
=================================================<br>
IMHO, I like the idea of a battery on the board.&nbsp; I wish there were
a smaller socket than the 2032 used on the 12-slot backplane.<br>
--John<br>
On 07/18/2014 03:49 AM, William R Sowerbutts wrote:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Hello

[...]

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 05:49:56PM +0100, William R Sowerbutts wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Hello

William R Sowerbutts <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:will-***@public.gmane.org">will-***@public.gmane.org</a>
"Carpe post meridiem<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://sowerbutts.commain(){char*s=">" http://sowerbutts.com
main(){char*s="</a>&gt;#=0&gt; ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c&lt;15;c++)for
(m=-1;m&lt;7;putchar(m++/6&amp;c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&amp;1&lt;&lt;m?42:32));}
Edward Snider
2014-07-18 15:24:26 UTC
I was thinking something like this, it wouldn't take up as much surface
area on the board.

BK-5058 MPD (Memory Protection Devices) | BK-5058-ND | DigiKey
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK-5058/BK-5058-ND/2194769>

Ed
Will,
Have you checked the pricing from PCBcart.com? These are the guys in
China that we have used for some time. Check out their automatic quote
system. Shipping by DHL from China runs ($30 to $50) to me in California.
IMHO, I like the idea of a battery on the board. I wish there were a
smaller socket than the 2032 used on the 12-slot backplane.
--John
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-07-18 19:24:21 UTC
Ed,

That was just what I was going to suggest.

You can also use a supercap, if you don't want to worry about leakage, and
you're willing to have contents lost, after a long power-off.

- Alex