[N8VEM: 19552] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary
Richard Cini
2015-04-28 01:10:33 UTC
All ‹

Ok, here¹s the order list so far. If I¹ve missed anyone, please let me know.
But, don¹t worry, I will order a decent-sized quantity so I can have them
on-hand.
* JohnC ­ 1
* TomL ­ 1
* MaxS ­ 2
* Yoda ­ 2
* FabioB ­ 3
* IanM ­ 2
* LarsN ­ 1
* PaulB ­ 1
* WayneW ­ 2
* GBeat ­ 1
* MalcomR - 2

Ok, that¹s 18 boards so far. I¹ll let this run for another few days and then
order them at the end of the week. Thanks for all of the interest in this
board.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
Kip Koon
2015-04-28 03:56:23 UTC
Hi Richard,

Please put me down for 2 boards. Thanks.

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

2015-04-28 07:23:53 UTC
Hi Rich,

1 for me, please.

Kind regards

Martin
http://www.8bity.cz<http://www.8bity.cz/>

Don Caprio

Richard Cini
2015-05-22 00:18:11 UTC
All ‹

The Dual IDE boards arrived today. I¹m going to try to build one tomorrow,
but overall, they look good. Over the weekend I¹ll start staging the
packages and soliciting payments. Usual pricing ‹ $20 each plus S/H (in the
US, I ship Priority Mail, so shipping is usually $5 or $6).

Thanks!

Rich

From: Don Caprio <***@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19558] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary

Rich,

Please put me down for one.
Ian McLaughlin
2015-05-22 00:26:36 UTC
Rich,

I see an IanM on the list - is this me or someone else?

Ian
Post by Kip Koon
All —
The Dual IDE boards arrived today. I’m going to try to build one tomorrow, but overall, they look good. Over the weekend I’ll start staging the packages and soliciting payments. Usual pricing — $20 each plus S/H (in the US, I ship Priority Mail, so shipping is usually $5 or $6).
Thanks!
Rich
--
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini <http://www.classiccmp.org/cini>
http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32 <http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32>
Richard Cini
2015-05-22 01:29:00 UTC
Nope, it¹s Ian May.

Rich

Date: Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Rich,
Please put me down for one.
Post by Richard Cini
[...]
---
Filter service subscribers can train this email as spam or not-spam here
<http://my.email-as.net/spamham/cgi-bin/learn.pl?messageid=11D14AEC001811E5929
CFD3393ED0201>
Ian McLaughlin
2015-05-22 01:51:45 UTC
Any left for one for me?

Ian
Nope, it’s Ian May.
Rich
Richard Cini
2015-05-22 02:06:00 UTC
Sure!

I¹m going to build one tomorrow to make sure it works and then I¹ll work on
the packages over the weekend.

Rich

From: Ian McLaughlin <***@platinum.net>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19622] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary

Any left for one for me?

Ian
Post by Richard Cini
Nope, it¹s Ian May.
Rich
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Rich,
Please put me down for one.
Post by Richard Cini
[...]
<http://my.email-as.net/spamham/cgi-bin/learn.pl?messageid=FB1DD112002111E5929
CFD3393ED0201>
2015-05-31 20:25:16 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
I finished soldering the Dual IDE 2.0 board last night.&nbsp; I finally
got around to stuffing the chips and testing it this afternoon.&nbsp; The
A connector checks out fine with Master &amp; Slave CF cards.<br>
I stuffed this board with largely ALS components.&nbsp; It runs on the
Mark IV at 36Mhz, 1 memory ws (normal), and 3 I/O wait states.&nbsp; I
usually run at 36 Mhz with 4 I/O wait states, so 3 is a bonus.&nbsp; 2
I/O w.s. does not work with some CF cards.&nbsp; This is a speed
advantage over the 1.0 board, stuffed with only LS logic.<br>
Recommendation:&nbsp; upgrade to ALS for best Mark IV performance.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/21/2015 05:18 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
Dual IDE boards arrived today. I&#8217;m going to try to build one
tomorrow, but overall, they look good. Over the weekend I&#8217;ll
start staging the packages and soliciting payments. Usual
pricing &#8212; $20 each plus S/H (in the US, I ship Priority
Mail, so shipping is usually $5 or $6).</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> Don
Caprio &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
April 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
19558] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Please put me down for one.<br>
Cini wrote:<br>
cite="mid:D1645649.13F95%***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
pre;"> </span>Ok, here&#8217;s the order list so far.
If I&#8217;ve missed anyone, please let me know. But,
don&#8217;t worry, I will order a decent-sized quantity so
I can have them on-hand.</div>
<ul>
<li>JohnC &#8211; 1</li>
<li>TomL &#8211; 1</li>
<li>MaxS &#8211; 2</li>
<li>Yoda &#8211; 2</li>
<li>FabioB &#8211; 3</li>
<li>IanM &#8211; 2</li>
<li>LarsN &#8211; 1</li>
<li>PaulB &#8211; 1</li>
<li>WayneW &#8211; 2</li>
<li>GBeat &#8211; 1</li>
<li>MalcomR - 2</li>
</ul>
pre;"> </span>Ok, that&#8217;s 18 boards so far. I&#8217;ll
let this run for another few days and then order
them at the end of the week. Thanks for all of the
interest in this board.</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
the Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
from it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Don Caprio
<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a></pre>
-- <br>
Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Richard Cini
2015-05-31 20:35:08 UTC
I'm using LS for everything other than the 646 chips. Speed seems very good but I can't think of a way to benchmark it officially.

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
I finished soldering the Dual IDE 2.0 board last night. I finally got around to stuffing the chips and testing it this afternoon. The A connector checks out fine with Master & Slave CF cards.
I stuffed this board with largely ALS components. It runs on the Mark IV at 36Mhz, 1 memory ws (normal), and 3 I/O wait states. I usually run at 36 Mhz with 4 I/O wait states, so 3 is a bonus. 2 I/O w.s. does not work with some CF cards. This is a speed advantage over the 1.0 board, stuffed with only LS logic.
Recommendation: upgrade to ALS for best Mark IV performance.
--John
2015-05-31 21:35:09 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
The Dual IDE board sits on the N8VEM bus, which should only be
slightly slower than the IDE bus on the Mark IV.&nbsp; Both will
experience the same I/O timing, but the Dual IDE board has more
levels of logic between the CPU and the CF cards.&nbsp; With sufficiently
fast chips on board to do the I/O decode, pass data, and perform the
chip selects, including R/W, it should run the 8-bit interface at
the same speed as the Mark IV.&nbsp; I/O instruction limitations probably
mean that the 16-bit mode is the same speed as the 8-bit mode, since
everything has to narrow down to the same I/O pipe.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/31/2015 01:35 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:2DDB2FC8-21BA-4D03-A6D5-***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
seems very good but I can't think of a way to benchmark it
officially.&nbsp;<br>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On May 31, 2015, at 4:25 PM, John Coffman &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Rich,<br>
I finished soldering the Dual IDE 2.0 board last night.&nbsp; I
finally got around to stuffing the chips and testing it this
afternoon.&nbsp; The A connector checks out fine with Master &amp;
Slave CF cards.<br>
I stuffed this board with largely ALS components.&nbsp; It runs on
the Mark IV at 36Mhz, 1 memory ws (normal), and 3 I/O wait
states.&nbsp; I usually run at 36 Mhz with 4 I/O wait states, so 3
is a bonus.&nbsp; 2 I/O w.s. does not work with some CF cards.&nbsp;
This is a speed advantage over the 1.0 board, stuffed with
only LS logic.<br>
Recommendation:&nbsp; upgrade to ALS for best Mark IV performance.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/21/2015 05:18 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
pre;"> </span>The Dual IDE boards arrived today.
I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;m going to try to build one tomorrow, but overall,
they look good. Over the weekend I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ll start staging
the packages and soliciting payments. Usual pricing
&acirc;&#8364;&#8221; $20 each plus S/H (in the US, I ship Priority
Mail, so shipping is usually $5 or $6).</div>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Rich,<br>
I finished soldering the Dual IDE 2.0 board last night.&nbsp;
I finally got around to stuffing the chips and testing
it this afternoon.&nbsp; The A connector checks out fine with
Master &amp; Slave CF cards.<br>
I stuffed this board with largely ALS components.&nbsp; It
runs on the Mark IV at 36Mhz, 1 memory ws (normal), and
3 I/O wait states.&nbsp; I usually run at 36 Mhz with 4 I/O
wait states, so 3 is a bonus.&nbsp; 2 I/O w.s. does not work
with some CF cards.&nbsp; This is a speed advantage over the
1.0 board, stuffed with only LS logic.<br>
Recommendation:&nbsp; upgrade to ALS for best Mark IV
performance.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/21/2015 05:18 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:D183ECCB.1521B%***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
style="white-space: pre;"> </span>The Dual
IDE boards arrived today. I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;m going to try to
build one tomorrow, but overall, they look good.
Over the weekend I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ll start staging the
packages and soliciting payments. Usual pricing
&acirc;&#8364;&#8221; $20 each plus S/H (in the US, I ship
Priority Mail, so shipping is usually $5 or $6).</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
text-align: left; color: black; border-width: 1pt
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223)
-moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding:
3pt 0in 0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From:
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Re: [N8VEM: 19558] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Please put me down for one.<br>
PM, Richard Cini wrote:<br>
cite="mid:D1645649.13F95%***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
style="white-space: pre;"> </span>Ok,
here&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;s the order list so far. If
I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ve missed anyone, please let me
know. But, don&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;t worry, I will order a
decent-sized quantity so I can have them
on-hand.</div>
<ul>
<li>JohnC &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 1</li>
<li>TomL &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 1</li>
<li>MaxS &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 2</li>
<li>Yoda &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 2</li>
<li>FabioB &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 3</li>
<li>IanM &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 2</li>
<li>LarsN &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 1</li>
<li>PaulB &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 1</li>
<li>WayneW &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 2</li>
<li>GBeat &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; 1</li>
<li>MalcomR - 2</li>
</ul>
style="white-space: pre;"> </span>Ok,
that&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;s 18 boards so far. I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ll let
this run for another few days and then
order them at the end of the week.
Thanks for all of the interest in this
board.</div>
Altair32 Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>

Richard Cini
2015-05-31 21:49:06 UTC
John —

I agree. Just swapped U18 and there is a perceptible speed-up.

Rich

From: John Coffman <***@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 5:35 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19686] Dual IDE 2.0-006 Order Summary

Rich,

The Dual IDE board sits on the N8VEM bus, which should only be slightly
slower than the IDE bus on the Mark IV. Both will experience the same I/O
timing, but the Dual IDE board has more levels of logic between the CPU and
the CF cards. With sufficiently fast chips on board to do the I/O decode,
pass data, and perform the chip selects, including R/W, it should run the
8-bit interface at the same speed as the Mark IV. I/O instruction

2015-05-31 20:40:21 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
The single substitution at U18, 74LS138 -&gt; 74ALS138, makes all
the difference.&nbsp; The rev. 1.0 board now runs on the overclocked Mark
IV at 36Mhz.&nbsp; However, I have to go to 4 I/O w.s. for one of my
slower CF cards.<br>