[N8VEM: 17810] Re: Own 6809 board based on N8VEM-Bus Backplane
Paul Birkel
2014-04-18 09:13:05 UTC
Michael: See the attached. Hopefully it answers all questions :->.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Michael Stollenmaier
Hi Andrew,
as a teacher at a vocational school in Germany I would like to teach
students some hardware basics based on the 6809. I and a friend at a
hardware company developped a 6809 board with three serial I/O chips, RTC
etc. We want to run it under Cubix and we would like to make it compatible
to your N8VEM bus. Can you provide me with the N8VEM bus backplane pinout,
please? We think we should use your N.C. pins for the special 6809 pins
like AVME, FIR etc. since we do not want to rely on the mezzanine board.
Thank you very much
Best regards
Michael Stollenmaier
Kip Koon
2014-08-31 08:41:54 UTC
Hi Paul!

I’m intrigued by your project for your vocational school. I’d be interested in what you have developed so far. I’m trying to come up with a similar microprocessor hardware and software development project for our Vocational schools here as well. I had been considering other processors, but since I have been working with Grant Searle’s Multicomp microcomputer I’ve been able to get a Z80 CP/M microcomputer running on it with CP/M 2.2. I’ve got the 6809 Multicomp running with the internal 4KB so far, so now I want to get the full 64K or more up to 512KB running with the 8KB Extended Basic. Ultimately I want to get the 6809 Multicomp running with the full 512KB so I can get NitrOS-9 L2 running, but I need to secure the appropriate software from a friend on the Coco list to realize this dream. He got NitrOS-9 L2 running from an SD card on the Coco 3 using a CocoSDC pak he developed. Perhaps an FPGA based solution would be something that would interest you as well. It would definitely lower your hardware costs! Check out the following web page for details on the Multicomp. Here is the link to Grant Searle’s Multicomp web page write up.

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/Multicomp/

and here is the link to the N8VEM site where the Cubix code is stored.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder <http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=CUBIX%20FPGA> &param=CUBIX%20FPGA

A gentleman in Australia has designed an interface board that the FPGA Cyclone II Mini-Development Board can plug into that has all the interfaces that Grant has specified except the static ram chip used is the AS6C4008 512KB static ram chip.

The Eagle files for this interface PCB is here.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder <http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=Eagle%20PCB%20files> &param=Eagle%20PCB%20files

This much ram opens up a lot more possibilities for the Multicomp! Since two operating systems are available for the Multicomp, CP/M 2.2 on the Z80 version and Cubix on the 6809 version and I’ve got a Z80 running CP/M 2.2, I’m about to embark on getting Cubix to run, but I have to wait for my second FPGA Cyclone II Mini-Development Board to arrive from China to program the VHDL permanently. Since I just ordered it, I’ll have to wait 3 weeks! Yuck! Oh well, I’ll have to be content with just one FGPA board for the time being. Check out my Wiki page for a partial write up on the Multicomp. Now that I have the Z80 Multicomp running CP/M 2.2, I’ll have to update my Multicomp Wiki page and let everybody know what I’ve been up too! Take care my friend.

Kip Koon

computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org

http://computerpcdoc.com/