[N8VEM: 19170] SCSI2IDE with Atari Falcon
Martin Lukasek
2014-12-31 19:45:05 UTC
Hello,

did anyone try SCSI2IDE with Atari Falcon? I have just build the new 2.0 version and have quite strange problem. The SCSI2IDE works with debug firmware, just slow. When I try normal (non debug) firmware, Atari freezes during SCSI initialization. I will try another computer and SCSI controller later, but it will take some time and I am a little bit curious about this.

Kind regards

Martin
Martin Lukasek
2014-12-31 23:54:15 UTC
One more thing. I found that the Atari Falcon boot interrupt during SCSI 0 detection in driver is caused by Pseudo DMA mode ON in NON DEBUG firmware. If I build firmware with debug or Polled I/O, everything works ok, just very slow, because of debug messages. Any suggestions?

Another thing is performance. Does anyone did some measurements, how fast the interface should be, so I could compere my results?

Happy new year!

Martin

Wayne Warthen
2015-01-01 08:52:12 UTC
Hi Martin,

Well, this is the second report I have gotten of initialization issues when
using the non-debug build of the SCSI2IDE firmware. I have reviewed the
code repeatedly and other than slowing things down, I see no difference in
the debug version. I am perplexed about what causes this and am unable to
replicate it on any of my reference platforms.

I assume that in non-debug mode, something is going too fast for some
controllers. I just don't know what it is.

If you are willing to play with the code, you could comment out the debug
output calls one-by-one to see if you can isolate where there may be a
speed issue.

Regarding speed, I don't know how to provide a metric for this. I can tell
you that when used on a 12MHz 8088 PC, it seems to run as fast as a real
SCSI hard disk meaning that speed is mostly gated by the computer, not the
SCSI2IDE interface.

Thanks,

Wayne
Martin Lukasek
2015-01-01 15:32:06 UTC
Hi Wayne,

thanks, it looks like some timing issue. I modified the code slightly, so I found 3 places that have to have some serial output to make Atari Falcon boot. Even I used CALL to character output in following construction:

#IF (S2I_TRACE >= 2)
#ELSE ;Martin - change for Atari Falcon compatibility
CALL PC_LT
#ENDIF

The full modified source is in attachment, as well as Atari boot screens and serial console boot output logs.

Even after the Falcon boots, the driver gets stuck when try to copy data to the SCSI. I tried to add simple character output to all S2I_TRACE >= 2 places, but it helped just partially, the behavior was not reliable. Strange is that when using debug with full message output, everything works ok, just a slow. I got speed about 20 kB/s.

I use oscillator 14 MHz as this was the only one higher than 10 MHz, I had at home and the SCSI2IDE board itself seems to work ok.

Wayne Warthen
2015-01-01 17:17:47 UTC
Thanks Martin. This is MUCH more info to work from than I have had in the past. I will review all of this and see if I can come up with something.

Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2015-01-02 03:01:57 UTC
Hi Martin,

Spent most of the day on this. Your testing and captures definitely help
pin down the nature of the issue. While I am still not seeing a code
issue, it seems pretty clear that the code is getting stuck in one of the
loops that wait for DMA REQ. So, I refactored the code to include a simple
timeout in those loops. If the timeout occurs, it will dump the controller
register values to the console, free the bus, and restart the protocol.

If you could try the latest firmware, I would appreciate it. I have
attached the zipfile to this post.

Regarding performance... I finally found a copy of Check IT which has a
hard disk performance benchmark. It indicates that the SCSI2IDE is
achieving 83K bytes per second which is almost identical to the performance
of a true legacy XT hard disk (although the seek times are obviously much
better on the SCSI2IDE). This performance was measured with a 20MHz CPU
clock on the SCSI2IDE and using CF media.

Thanks,

Wayne
Borut
2015-06-20 11:41:26 UTC
Hi Wayne,

I tried your latest version of firmware (0.5a) and i am getting the
following timeout:
*** Timeout @13A1H ***
This happens with production version.
With debug version everything works ok.

Best regards,
Bo/
Wayne Warthen
2015-06-21 22:19:56 UTC
Thanks Not it. Currently on vacation. Will take a look in a few days. Thanks for this info.

Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2015-06-26 17:19:24 UTC
I have posted the v0.6 firmware. It is in the normal Wiki folder at
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=SCSI2IDE and
the file is called S2I-v0.6.zip. Please be sure to review the updated
document http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/62549548/SCSI2IDE primarily
because the P1 jumper bank is now being used by the firmware.