[N8VEM: 19492] Douglas' CP/M utilities
Bob Devries
2015-04-15 08:22:21 UTC
Hi all.

You may remember that I have a Zeta which originally had a PPIDE card. I
have now "upgraded" to a ParPortProp card which uses an SD card, and of
course, I upgraded to ROMWBW V2.7.1.

I expected to see Douglas Goodall's utilities such as MAP and SLICES and
others, but they're not there!

I made an image of my CF card (I used a IDE to CF adapter card
previously), thinking that I could just copy that image to the SD card,
but that has not worked. I used SDFormatter and Win32 Disk Imager.

I used ASSIGN to set the slice number for a drive letter, but every
slice shows up empty.

Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, AUstralia
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-15 18:26:16 UTC
I posted something here a long time ago related to this. Unfortunately,
requests for someone to maintain these utilities have gone unanswered and
changes to the RomWBW internals have rendered these utilities
non-functional. As a result, they are no longer distributed.

However, you will find a new tools called ASSIGN.COM that has roughly
equivalent functionality. Actually, it is more powerful in some ways.
Type ASSIGN to get a list of current drive/slice assignments. Type ASSIGN
/? for usage.

--Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-15 18:50:32 UTC
Hi Bob,

Sorry, I see that I did not answer your question properly... you are
already using ASSIGN.COM.

Related to the conversion of your CF card to an SD Card, I don't know why
that did not work. I have written the exact same image to a CF Card and an
SD Card with Win32 Disk Imager many times with no issues. The slice layout
is unchanged between media types and has not changed since in newer version
of RomWBW.

I would probably use a binary editor to view the extracted image of the CF
Card on your PC to confirm you got the image properly.

--Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-15 18:52:32 UTC
One more thing you can try.

In the Output directory of RomWBW, you will find hd0.img. This is a
pre-built hard disk image that you can write directly to either an SD Card
or CF Card with Win32 Disk Imager. The contents of this pre-built image
are not very useful, but it should work and you should see valid files.
Bob Devries
2015-04-15 22:53:48 UTC
Heh...

I wasn't holding my mouth right :) All working sweetly now.

I have two disk image management tools on my W8.1 system. I had been
using the Dubaron Disk imager, but although well featured, it appears to
stuff it up. I'm now using Win32DiskImager, which has fulfilled its purpose.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
already using ASSIGN.COM <http://ASSIGN.COM>.
<http://ASSIGN.COM> that has roughly equivalent functionality.
Bob Devries
2015-04-15 20:36:54 UTC
Hi Wayne,

is the source for douglas' utilities available?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-16 14:21:34 UTC
Absolutely. Simplest way to get the source is to simply download RomWBW
v2.5.5 from the RomWBW folder of the Wiki at
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=RomWBW

This is the last version of RomWBW that contains the utilities in a fully
functional state (as far as I know). The source is in the Apps
subdirectory. If you decide to reincarnate any of them, please keep me
posted so that I can add them back into the current RomWBW distribution.

--Wayne