[N8VEM: 19963] Zeta v2 and PPISD questions
Stewart Russell
2015-08-08 15:41:04 UTC
Hi - I'm really enjoying using my Zeta v2. It now has a 3œ" floppy drive
that works pretty well, and it all fits into a nice tidy case I had lying
around.

Although I built up a mini PPISD at the same time, I've had less luck with
it. The pbworks site is rather hard to find documents on.

- Is this a current guide for testing/troubleshooting?
https://romwbw.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Doc/SD-howto.txt
- What size of SD card is recommended? I have a bunch of 2 GB and under
SD cards.
- What would I use to partition the card?
- Could I read/write the card thereafter on Linux with cpmtools?

Any help appreciated, and I'll make sure to write up/format any of my
findings in a useful way.

Best Wishes,

Stewart
Wayne Warthen
2015-08-09 17:46:59 UTC
See below...

--Wayne
Post by Stewart Russell
Hi - I'm really enjoying using my Zeta v2. It now has a 3œ" floppy drive
that works pretty well, and it all fits into a nice tidy case I had lying
around.
Although I built up a mini PPISD at the same time, I've had less luck with
it. The pbworks site is rather hard to find documents on.
- Is this a current guide for testing/troubleshooting?
https://romwbw.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Doc/SD-howto.txt
It looks like this is still generally valid.
- What size of SD card is recommended? I have a bunch of 2 GB and
under SD cards?
Should not matter. I would not go over 64GB, but I have successfully used
stuff from 16MB through 32GB.
Post by Stewart Russell
- What would I use to partition the card?
For traditional RomWBW use, there is no concept of partitioning. Use
CLRDIR on each drive to initialize the directory before use. There was
once a tool called MULTIFMT, but it is no longer supported by the author.
Post by Stewart Russell
- Could I read/write the card thereafter on Linux with cpmtools?
I have never tried Linux, but I am able to read/write the card with
cpmtools under Windows after copying the image off the drive. Be careful
to use the diskdefs file in the RomWBW source tree.
2015-08-09 21:32:36 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
I uploaded this partitioning tool some time back:<br>
<a
href="http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/97085061/FDISK%20for%203%20platforms">http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/97085061/FDISK
for 3 platforms</a><br>
FDISK80 is for Z80 &amp; Z180 systems; UNA bios &amp; RomWBW bios.<br>
FDISK68 is for 68000 systems; Mini-M68k at this time.<br>
--John<br>
On 08/09/2015 10:46 AM, Wayne Warthen wrote:
cite="mid:8debcd7d-6547-4fb7-b9f5-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<ul>
<li>What would I use to partition the card?</li>
</ul>
partitioning. &Acirc;&nbsp;Use CLRDIR on each drive to initialize the
directory before use. &Acirc;&nbsp;There was once a tool called MULTIFMT,
but it is no longer supported by the author.</div>
border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<ul>
<li><br>
</li>
</ul>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Stewart Russell
2015-08-10 03:19:32 UTC
Post by Stewart Russell
- Is this a current guide for testing/troubleshooting?
https://romwbw.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Doc/SD-howto.txt
It looks like this is still generally valid.
Thanks! Think I must have something wired wrongly, as I get no lights on
the PPISD board, and it tends to make the Zeta v2 hang on reboot.

cheers,
Stewart
Wayne Warthen
2015-08-11 20:17:27 UTC
Stewart,

Just want to check that you are using the zeta2_ppisd rom image, correct?
Let me double check that image at home over the weekend. It has been
working fine, but I don't check every config with every new version of
RomWBW (way too may config options).

--Wayne
Stewart Russell
2015-08-12 12:35:10 UTC
Hi Wayne,
Post by Wayne Warthen
Just want to check that you are using the zeta2_ppisd rom image, correct?
Yes, I assume so. Sergey wrote the flash for me when I got the Zeta v2
board from him.

I think my bigger problem may be the 0V between PPI pins 25 & 26, despite
the board having JP2 set for +5V
 ;-(

cheers,
Stewart
Stewart Russell
2015-08-13 02:20:45 UTC
Okay - success! Well, kinda.

The board is getting power now, but how do I know it's being detected? The
devices 0-4 appear the same. There are no tools on the disk image (that I
can see) that would help me prepare the SD card slices.

Best Wishes,
Stewart
Wayne Warthen
2015-08-13 02:28:16 UTC
Hi Stewart,

I'm sorry I don't have time to explain in more detail. All you need to do
is use CLRDIR on the drives associated with the PPISD card. So, for
example:

CLRDIR E:

How many drives are you seeing? There should be 8. A is RAM, B is ROM,
C/D are floppy, and E-H are PPISD.

Thanks,

Wayne
Stewart Russell
2015-08-13 02:48:45 UTC
Hi Wayne - thanks for all the help.
Post by Wayne Warthen
How many drives are you seeing?
No more than usual. My boot devices list looks like:

Devices:

0) MD1:
1) MD0:
2) FD0:
3) FD1:

Despite this, I can enter CLRDIR E: and it goes off for a while, and says
that the directory is cleared. But DIR E: gives Bdos Err On E:, and FORMAT
E: does nothing.

cheers,
Stewart
Wayne Warthen
2015-08-13 13:13:45 UTC
Hi Stewart,

OK, I think I see what the issue is. You are probably running the ROM that
came with the board as supplied by Sergey. That ROM does not have the
PPISD support. I think you need to update your ROM to the one with the
PPISD support.

You can download the latest RomWBW build from the Wiki at
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=RomWBW. The
latest build is RomWBW v2.7.1.zip. In this zip file, there is an Output
directory containing the pre-built ROM images. You want the one called
zeta2_ppisd.rom. Reprogram your ROM with this and you will have support
for PPISD.

Thanks,

Wayne
Stewart Russell
2015-08-14 03:06:37 UTC
Post by Wayne Warthen
OK, I think I see what the issue is. You are probably running the ROM
that came with the board as supplied by Sergey. That ROM does not have the
PPISD support. I think you need to update your ROM to the one with the
PPISD support.
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-906xEyPABBY/Vc1bJWZkqrI/AAAAAAAABg0/zAiZA8sooCs/s1600/11906240_1616338128654895_361441566_n.jpg>

Yes! That was it. After flashing the ROM with the ZETAv2_PPISD ROM, I get
to see two drives on the SD card, E: and F:. Both drives work fine.

Thanks for all the help. Here's my tidy(ish) Zeta V2 all cased up, with the
(incredibly bright!) SD activity light doing its thing:

Best Wishes,
Stewart
Wayne Warthen