[N8VEM: 20262] N8VEM wiki shutdown notice
'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
2015-10-20 15:35:10 UTC
IMPORTANT: wiki shutdown notice

Do not make changes to the N8VEM wiki after midnight EDT 30 Oct 2015.

I will do a final image back up and then delete the wiki on 31 Oct 2015.

If and when a replacement site is activated, I will provide an image back up
of the wiki at that time.
Dylan Distasio
Dylan McNamee
2015-10-20 15:58:10 UTC
On Oct 20, 2015 11:35 AM, "'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM" <
Post by 'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
IMPORTANT: wiki shutdown notice
Do not make changes to the N8VEM wiki after midnight EDT 30 Oct 2015.
I will do a final image back up and then delete the wiki on 31 Oct 2015.
If and when a replacement site is activated, I will provide an image back
up of the wiki at that time.
Apologies if I have missed prior correspondence, but why is the wiki
being shut down?
I missed this too - and wonder, in the interim, how will we be kept
appraised of PCB availability?
Ian McLaughlin
2015-10-20 18:33:39 UTC
Post by 'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
IMPORTANT: wiki shutdown notice
Do not make changes to the N8VEM wiki after midnight EDT 30 Oct 2015.
I will do a final image back up and then delete the wiki on 31 Oct 2015.
If and when a replacement site is activated, I will provide an image back up of the wiki at that time.
Apologies if I have missed prior correspondence, but why is the wiki being shut down?
I missed this too - and wonder, in the interim, how will we be kept appraised of PCB availability?
Looks like at least some of us are meeting in the S100Computers Google Group, at least in the interim, just so we don’t all scatter to the four winds.

Ian
Tregare
2015-10-21 07:17:04 UTC
Kip Koon
2015-10-21 09:40:12 UTC
Ewout Ros
2015-10-21 11:51:18 UTC
Hi all,

first of all I'm new here and interested in building some of the N8VEM
SBC's. I'll introduce myself in a new topic not to clobber this one.

Back to the topic, the wiki seems to be 6 GB according to the used space
status indicator on the workspace.
What is the status about a replacement site by the way?

I've been following the discussion about it since I (also) faced the invite
only problem when I found the N8VEM website on wikipedia.

Received access to both the mailing list and the wiki yesterday and trying
to scrape as much as I can from the wiki with wget before it goes down. I'm
willing to set up a public (read only) backup site to at least keep the
files online.

Regards,

Ewout
David Jones
2015-10-22 01:45:30 UTC
I hate to hear this but understand. It's a shame we can't make a static
snap shot of the site and host it someplace. There is lots of good
information on it. Or at worst a zip archive that can be downloaded.

David
Kip Koon
2015-10-22 02:20:20 UTC
Hi guys,

I agree. At least have a zip of everything and put in onto someone’s dropbox or one drive. Each board could be put into separate zip files also so people could download only what they need. Someone very recently volunteered to host the files.

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

David Jones
2015-10-22 13:23:07 UTC
Those are good ideas. I'd forgotten about dropbox and sites like it. It's
a shame archive.org doesn't have a snapshot of it. That would have at
least saved some of the info. But the site has the robots.txt set to not
allow that.

David
2015-10-22 13:59:00 UTC
If it can help, I can install media wiki
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki) on a server (for example
www.old-computers.org) and give full access to whoever wants or can take
care of the import/maintenance.
(Or I can install another wiki if someone prefers).

Regarding the google groups, any news from Andrew about transferring
ownership of the groups to someone else who could rename the groups?

-Thierry
Martin Heermance
2015-10-23 02:10:27 UTC
It looks like I'm going to need to download as much of the wiki as possible that has to do with the mini-68k build.
Mark Andrews
2015-10-23 15:23:24 UTC
Ok, it looks as though the simplest solution is to create another Workspace
at PBWorks and move the existing Wiki to that new space. Then Andrew can
remove his Workspace if he desires. The new owner(s) of the Workspace can
do whatever is necessary to maintain the new wiki so that it will continue.

As far as the Google Groups is concerned, the best suggestion has already
been given, ie. promote someone else as the new owner and change the name.

If Andrew is willing to help with the transition, then we're not talking
about Rocket Science and there's nothing to really panic over.

Mark
Andrew Bingham
2015-10-23 17:25:17 UTC
We are using some grandfathered old version of PBWiki that they don't
really support anymore. PBWiki is proprietary and the cost to use it is
higher than using a free (libre) wiki software like say, Docuwiki (which is
flat file and does not require a database).
Alan Cox
2015-10-23 17:32:42 UTC
Post by Andrew Bingham
We are using some grandfathered old version of PBWiki that they don't
really support anymore. PBWiki is proprietary and the cost to use it is
higher than using a free (libre) wiki software like say, Docuwiki (which is
flat file and does not require a database).
True but that assumes someone is going to convert it all promptly and
efficiently. If not just moving it over becomes a far easier option.

Alan
Andrew Bingham
2015-10-23 17:38:06 UTC
I think Andrew L. has already decided what he's planning to do, which is to
shut the PBWiki down and export the files and provide them to someone who
has created a new site, so we should respect his decision and plan
accordingly.

Andrew Bingham
Kip Koon
2015-10-25 00:06:55 UTC
Hi Guys,

What is the quickest way to download the wiki files besides one at a time?

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Martin Heermance
2015-10-25 02:25:39 UTC
I did it one file at a time for the six boards I was interested in.