[N8VEM: 17950] Ethernet for retro computers
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-04-27 20:43:55 UTC
Gents,

I wanted to share some thought of mine about using Ethernet for retro
computers. There's a company that offers such type modules, which can be
easily integrated for parallel buses, like ISA & ECB (I don't work for
Olimex).
Here are some links:

10 MBit, parallel:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/CS8900A-H/

10/100 MBit, parallel:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/DM9000E-H/

10/100 Mbit, parallel/spi:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/MOD-ENC624J600/

10 Mbit, spi:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/MOD-ENC28J60/
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/ENC28J60-H/

There are also the RTL8019 & 3C509 ISA cards (from the good old days),
but I haven't thought on the idea for ECB-ISA bridge.
If you have some ideas or progress on this topic, would be great to
share with the rest of us.

Regards,
Nikolay
Daniel Palmer
2014-04-28 01:40:41 UTC
I'm using the MOD-ENC624J600 on a MC68000 running Linux. It's fine if
you have enough spare resources.
I would suggest using the Wiznet chips with integrated TCP/IP stack
for low resource/low memory setups.
Andrew Bingham
2014-04-28 14:05:23 UTC
Hello,

Some work that has been done in this area, using WizNet
(http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/en/) hardware TCP/IP stack chips.

A gentleman in Germany has created KCNet for Z80 systems
- http://susowa.homeftp.net/index.php/kcnet-75/z80-tcpip-159.html?start=3

The Spectranet project takes Sinclair Spectrums online
- http://spectrum.alioth.net/doc/index.php/Spectranet (I've even seen
screenshots of a Twitter client)

Rather than directly using the 8-bit bus on the Wiznet chips, both of these
projects insert extra logic between the WizNet chip and the system bus.
KCNet uses a Z80PIO chip + atmel microcontroller and Spectranet uses a
CPLD.

Both have working software stacks. The KCNet software is generic enough
that it should run on any Z80 with the Z80PIO at the right address (so the
N8VEM Z80 Peripherals card would implement half of what is needed for this
to work). The Spectranet software seems to depend a lot on other parts of
the existing Spectrum software/BIOS.

Since the Wiznet modules have 8-bit bus compatible versions, I think it
would make a lot more sense to me to do the interfacing directly. The
other solutions slow down the potential transfer rates of the Ethernet.
Also a directly interfaced board would be more likely to work well with
the many different CPU cards on ECB/S100

Andrew B
douglas_goodall
2014-04-28 14:43:32 UTC
The 3C509 was a real champion, but the drivers are not open source, so I
don't know it writing interface software will be a problem. I do remember
that the board had on-board buffering which would be good in a retro
design. Best of luck.
William R Sowerbutts
2014-04-28 15:39:06 UTC
An open source 3C509 driver from linux:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/ethernet/3com/3c509.c

I've used the Wiznet W5100 ethernet chip myself. I wrote an AVR ATmeta328P
bootloader that fits in 1KB and allows the AVR to be reprogrammed over
ethernet:
http://sowerbutts.com/optiboot-w5100/
I've used this chip for a few projects, all with AVRs, and it worked well.

The W5100 is a easy to program and hides all the details of TCP/IP. It's very
much simpler to use than implementing a full stack. It can also speak UDP
which is of course trivial compared to TCP. It has a "raw" mode that allows
you to just give it a raw ethernet frame to transmit, I believe it also has a
raw receive mode, so in principle you can bypass the built-in TCP/IP stack
and use it as a plain ethernet interface. When using the built-in stack it is
limited to four concurrent connections. It does support 10 and 100Mbit
ethernet and auto-negotiates both speed and duplex. It supports only IPv4
which is now (officially, at least) a "legacy" protocol (although maybe N8VEM
fans view this as a plus!)

There is a more recent W5200 chip that I've not yet used which looks better
but has a revised (incompatible) command set, etc. I think the SPI interface
has also been revised so you can get data in and out of the chip faster (with
the W5100 you must send 32 bits over the SPI bus for every byte transferred,
a lot of overhead)

I've also used the ENC28J60 (which just sends and receives raw frames)
although not as much as the W5100. It supports only 10Mbit ethernet and
doesn't support auto-negotiation. This means that you often end up with a
duplex mismatch between the switch and the ethernet chip which can result in
the switch seeing "collisions" when both ends to transmit at the same time.
Simplest solution is to tell the ENC28J60 to work in half-duplex mode, or
force the switch port to full-duplex. Irritating.

Since you have to implement the full TCP/IP stack with the ENC28J60 you could
support either IPv4 or IPv6 or both.

I've not used the newer ENC624J600, it looks to address the auto-negotiation
problem and add 100Mbit support, but it is also available only in a 3.3V
TQFP64 package.

There is such a wide variety of SPI peripheral hardware out there -- ethernet
NICs, display drivers, UARTs, SD cards, etc. Tons of stuff. The wire protocol
is essentially the same in every case.

Maybe one solution to this and other peripheral requirements would be a
standard SPI master board. The one board could host one or more SPI busses,
and each SPI bus could have multiple chip selects to support multiple devices
on the same bus.

A 5x2 0.1" header could deliver 5V, 3.3V, GND, CS, MISO, MOSI, CLK and maybe
also a few misc signals -- eg a couple of GPIOs one of which might support
interrupting the host processor.

The SPI master board could have a row of these standard headers and space to
mount a daughterboard on top of each -- you could either mount the peripheral
on a daughterboard directly to the card, or plug an IDC ribbon cable in and
run it off to the peripheral board elsewhere.

As well as standardising the SPI expansion header we could also standardise
the SPI bus master registers exposed to the host processor. Then a variety of
technologies (CPLD, FPGA, propeller chip, etc) could be used to implement the
SPI master device. I suppose the registers would need to allow the host to
program the bus clock speed, assert/deassert the various chip selects, write
a byte to the bus and read back the byte received during the last transfer. A
fancy implementation might include a FIFO to keep the bus busy, or perhaps
even DMA so the CPU can get on with other things during SPI transfers.

Will
(m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}
Vince Mulhollon
2014-04-28 16:22:44 UTC
Post by William R Sowerbutts
I've used the Wiznet W5100 ethernet chip myself.
This is the core of the official arduino ethernet shield. Lots of C (and
other) code out there to use it.
Post by William R Sowerbutts
A 5x2 0.1" header could deliver 5V, 3.3V, GND, CS, MISO, MOSI, CLK and maybe
also a few misc signals
If I might make a small request, as per the above comment about the
arduino, if you're going to make a SPI speaking board, make the physical
pin layout and electrical termination match the arduino standard, so COTS
arduino shields can simply be plugged in and work.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of arduino shield designs, and although
obviously many people would install and use an official arduino.cc ethernet
shield providing everything you need for ethernet other than a cat5 cable,
there are plenty of other interesting arduino shields out there ranging
from A/D to relays to LCD displays to almost anything imaginable, so the
same card could be extremely multi-purpose for many users. 16 bit A/D for
you, a LCD touch screen front panel for me, who knows.

This idea is already on my "infinite spare time" list, although I've done
virtually nothing other than fool around with arduinos and their shields.

Note that a 90% implementation is way better than nothing at all. Power
and at least some digital I/O would enable 90+% of shields, not having some
of the more peculiar features wouldn't be much of a loss WRT the total
variety of supported shields.

Even if the board builders only officially support the official arduino
ethernet shield and nothing officially other than that one shield, I'd
still enjoy the ability to unofficially plug in a relay board or a LCD
board at my own risk.

I'm not necessarily saying put an arduino on a card and have a way for the
n8vem system to talk to the arduino like having a debugger talk to an on
board arduino, sorta. I'm just saying physically and electrically make the
connector two SIP headers, such and such apart, and power and signals on
certain pins of those two SIP headers, which just happen to physically and
electrically match the arduino standard such that an arduino branded 5100
ethernet shield (and probably hundreds of other kinds of shields) happen to
work perfectly when inserted.
Tom Lafleur
2014-04-28 17:52:40 UTC
if I were doing a board for e-net, I would use the Wiznet 5300 chip or a
board with it , as it has and 8 bit port and a very large buffer... 128KB
would be easy to use with slow retro z80 system

The newer 5500 chip is also interesting, C driver are available, but its
SPI a small PIC could be used as a 8bit to SPI converter
Post by Vince Mulhollon
[...]
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
(858) 759-9692
Andrew Bingham
2014-04-28 19:44:37 UTC
I like the 5300 chip, 8 bit/16 bit bus interface, 8 concurrent connections.

I think it makes sense to be as close to the Ethernet chip as possible.
With the 8/16-bit bus mode, the Wiznet modules basically act like an SRAM.

The Spectranet guys have implemented calls that are basically standard
POSIX socket calls in their driver that runs right on the Z80 as part of
the BIOS.

You could have a TFTP server on your desktop and a TFTP client on an N8VEM
computer to transfer over files, for instance.... Or write a new BBS
implementation for CP/M without the need for a serial->telnet gateway PC.

Andrew B
Douglas Goodall
2014-04-28 17:40:34 UTC
I didn't think of that, the Linux driver is certainly available, although the c code is probably fairly twisted and tweaked to support various boards.

The modular solution W5100 sounds easier. The ability to receive and transmit raw Ethernet frames allows you to experiment with you own new protocols. Good idea.

---
Douglas W. Goodall
http://www.goodall.us.com
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-04-28 20:48:14 UTC
Hi Doug,

I've seen open-source drivers for 3C509 even back in 2000, when I
started enjoying Linux. I still remember the LFSR code for handling
magic packets :).
Nikolay
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-04-28 16:53:19 UTC
Hello friends,

i found on the Internet a solution for die former Z80-System K1520 (GDR).
The K1520-Bus is similiar to ECB. In the attachment I have all files for
You. The TCP-Module is the WizNet 810 and an ATMega162.
The firmware for this is not on the internet. I remember that this was a
question of "licence". The firmware is "Closed source" and the real problem
are the MAC-adresses.... As I remember You need to use this solution an old
TCP-card with MAC-address...

Here is the WWW-Links. ItÂŽs only in German, sorry.

http://susowa.homeftp.net/index.php/projekte-mainmenu/kcnet-mainmenu-130/87-nachnutzung.html

Best regards

Wolfgang
Tom Lafleur
2014-04-27 21:05:06 UTC
wrong URL///

http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/en/

one model has the chip in the JACK... Models with Wifi and serial to e-net,
web servers...ect...
ease to work with!

all are available from Mouser
This firm has a lot of great chips and modules with the stack on the chip.
http://www.wiznet.com
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~
Sent from my Phone
Post by Nikolay Dimitrov
If you have some ideas or progress on this topic, would be great to
share with the rest of us.
Post by Nikolay Dimitrov
Regards,
Nikolay
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
(858) 759-9692
G. Beat
2014-04-30 19:07:11 UTC
Circuit Cellar's 2014 Design Contest features the Wiznet Ethernet chips.
http://circuitcellar.com/wiznet2014/

Their W5500 chip is a Hardwired TCP/IP embedded Ethernet controller that enables Internet connection
for embedded systems using Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI).

Features:

Supports hardwired TCP/IP Protocols: TCP, UDP, ICMP, IPv4, ARP, IGMP, PPPoE
Supports eight independent sockets simultaneously
Supports Power down mode
Supports Wake on LAN over UDP
Supports High Speed Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI MODE 0, 3)
Internal 32-KB Memory for Tx/Rx Buffers
10BaseT/100BaseTX Ethernet PHY embedded
Supports Auto Negotiation (Full and half duplex, 10 and 100-based)
Does not support IP Fragmentation
3.3-V operation with 5-V I/O signal tolerance
LED outputs (Full/Half duplex, Link, Speed, Active)
48-Pin LQFP Lead-Free Package (7 × 7-mm, 0.5-mm pitch)
Tom Lafleur