[N8VEM: 20319] New Wiki www.retrobrewcomputers.org - Registrations Open
Andrew Bingham
2015-10-29 07:42:56 UTC
All,

I am happy to announce the next phase of the new wiki roll-out!

You can now visit http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/ and click the
"Register" link to create an account. This will give read-only privileges
to the new wiki. Once I have reviewed your registration, I will elevate
your users to have the ability to edit the wik. I'll plan on bumping
everyone who has registered up to being able to edit first thing tomorrow
AM (US Pacific time) and again in the evening. (My work unfortunately
blocks the wiki as an "unknown site", so I can't do admin things while at
work).

I am leaving the wiki in this state while the members of this board move
over the content to the new wiki. Once things have been filled in and are
looking good (in a couple weeks) we will make the entire wiki viewable to
the public and editable to anyone with an approved registration. Mainly
the registrations allow us to avoid spam, I intend to let anyone in who is
not spammy spambot (or a troll intent on messing up our wiki, but as far as
I can tell everyone here is good people).

Tomorrow (Thursday) I will be setting up the new mailing list, and
uploading the archives of this mailing list to the webserver and linking
them on the wiki. I am trying to keep making forward progress on this
every day!

There is a "playground" namespace on the wiki, if you want to play around
with Docuwiki, test things out, etc, feel free to do it there. I have set
up a general skeleton of the site with examples of the tree of things I
intend to have. In general each PCB board should end up with its own
"namespace", along with any related files. That way we can keep everything
together for a given board. Users are free to create their own individual
namespace inside the designated user area to keep pages, photos of their
builds, etc!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the new site!

Andrew Bingham
David Jones

Thierry Schembri
Andrew Bingham

Orville Jones
2015-10-29 19:44:01 UTC
Hi Andrew,
How do we add builder pages?

Al

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:23:57 -0700
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@googlegroups.com
Subject: [N8VEM: 20322] Re: New Wiki www.retrobrewcomputers.org - Registrations Open

Andrew Bingham
2015-10-29 21:37:08 UTC
On the root builder page list page, create a new link to
:builderpages:<insert your name or username>:start, and then click on that
link and use the 'create this page' option to create your page. This will
also create a namespace for you where you can upload images/files.

Give it a try, I'll take a look when I get home tonight and if you didn't
have success, I'll go ahead and create it for you.

Andrew
Post by Orville Jones
Hi Andrew,
How do we add builder pages?
Al
------------------------------
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:23:57 -0700
Kip Koon
2015-10-30 02:44:36 UTC
Hi Andrew,

I am trying to create a folder for Multicomp in the SBC folder, but ended up creating a page instead. I have read namespaces but I can’t seem to get the hang of it. I have tried many variations using [[sbc:Multicomp]], etc., but to no avail. I guess I need to experiment in playground a bit, but I really want to share the files for building Multicomp PCBs themselves like other boards on this wiki and later share what I specifically have done in the Builder’s folder. I know you just explained this, but as I said, I am definitely not getting the hang of this yet. HELP! Thank you in advance.

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Martin Lukasek
2015-10-30 07:08:17 UTC
Hi Kip,

I had troubles with that as well. Create internal link namex:namey:namez:start on the page and than click on the link and choose create page, it will creat namez namespace as well.

I am now trying to download as much content as possible before the N7VEM wiki will close and later I will continue to populate wiki.

Kind regards

Martin

2015-10-30 16:38:25 UTC
Everyone who has registered as of right now has edit privileges.

Alan - I updated you builder page to be it's own namespace, so you can add
in files as well.
http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages:alan_jones:start

Kip - I created a Multicomp namespace and moved what you had written there
- http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:sbc:multicomp:start

Martin - I added instructions on adding new builder namespaces to the page
with the table. Hopefully that will help others.

I also installed a new plugin, https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:filelist, to
the wiki. This allow you to create nicely formatted file lists of all the
files in your namespace.

Andrew
Kip Koon
2015-10-30 20:10:51 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so very much for your efforts and for helping me. I do appreciate it.

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

***@sc.rr.com <javascript:>

Martin Lukasek
2015-10-31 06:40:20 UTC
Hi Andrew,

I created page in root, can I move it somehow?

Kind regards

Martin

Andrew Bingham
2015-10-31 07:07:10 UTC
I created a new namespace for non-board-specific build tips, and moved your
page
to http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=buildtips:components_compatibility_and_substitution.

Thanks Martin!
Nikolay Dimitrov
2015-10-31 10:13:37 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Is it possible to allow read-only access for the anonymous users to the
new site?

Thanks and regards,
Nikolay
Nikolay Dimitrov
2015-10-31 10:23:59 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Can I request edit permissions for the wiki?

Thanks and regards,
Nikolay
Nikolay Dimitrov
2015-10-31 11:02:00 UTC
Andrew Bingham
2015-10-31 21:33:04 UTC
Nikolay - you have edit access.

I am planning to make the wiki publicly viewable once we get more of the
content ported over. Maybe another week or so?

As far using SVN goes - I feel like that adds a lot of complexity for users
browsing the wiki. Most of the physical board designs change only every
year or two once they are all debugged, so the board files don't change
very often. I could see it being useful for the software/firmware - maybe
let's get everything moved over in its current wiki-form, and then if Wayne
and the members working on the software want to have SVN, we'll look at it
then. I could also see SVN being a bit hit on site bandwidth if everyone
decides to checkout the entire tree every time.

Andrew
Post by Nikolay Dimitrov
Hi all,
This is a small continuation of the discussion of how to store design
files and how to publish the on the new wiki.
We exchanged some opinions on git's advantages and disadvantages for
storing binary blobs. As git isn't the best way to store binary files,
I would like to propose to use Subversion for storing the projects'
1. It would be easy for people to track the latest set of design files
and board documentation, by using "svn update".
2. Projects initial checkout will contain only the latest version of
the binary blobs, thus we won't donwload all the previous versions of
the blobs (which means fast downloads).
3. There's a plugin for Apache to allow publishing of a SVN repository
on the web, thus SVN files can be visible on the web even without
version control client.
4. Based on #3, we can have links in the wiki to the web-svn files,
instead to the actual files, thus achieving zero-effort synchronization
between the svn repos and wiki. This feature will work even without a
special dokuwiki plugin, as it's just a simple link to URL.
5. People can easily download "official release" packages based on svn
release tags, instead of using .zip files, thus reducing the manual
work for maintainers, and also reducing the users confusion (which .zip
file is for what?).
Thanks for reading so far. Please tell be whether this makes sense and
if there are major issues with this proposal. Also, if you have better
proposals, please share them with everyone.
Kind regards,
Nikolay
2015-10-31 22:42:51 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
On 10/31/2015 02:33 PM, Andrew Bingham wrote:
cite="mid:da828735-9462-4f60-a058-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">As far using SVN goes - I feel like that adds a lot of
complexity for users browsing the wiki.</blockquote>
I have found that simply uploading a new, sequentially numbered,
.ZIP file keeps track of s/w in a simple manner.&nbsp; Many of the
folders have an "Archive" sub-folder, where previous versions can be
retained.&nbsp; Most of the posted s/w, like BIOS revisions, change only
once or twice a year; less often when mature.<br>
--John<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Nikolay Dimitrov
2015-11-01 00:52:38 UTC
Hi Andrew,
Post by Andrew Bingham
Nikolay - you have edit access.
Thanks!
Post by Andrew Bingham
I am planning to make the wiki publicly viewable once we get more of the
content ported over. Maybe another week or so?
Ahh, I see. Well, it's fine then.
Post by Andrew Bingham
As far using SVN goes - I feel like that adds a lot of complexity for
users browsing the wiki.
I understand your concerns, but that's exactly what I'm addressing with
my proposal - the files will be pointed-to exactly the same way as they
are usually, by a link. Technically it doesn't matter whether we link
to a regular downloadable file hosted by Apache, or we point to a path
hosted by the Apache SVN module.

Here's an example that shows a file hosted by Apache svn module - the
file is in Subversion, yet it's directly accessible from web:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/README
Post by Andrew Bingham
Most of the physical board designs change only
every year or two once they are all debugged, so the board files don't
change very often. I could see it being useful for the
software/firmware - maybe let's get everything moved over in its current
wiki-form, and then if Wayne and the members working on the software
want to have SVN, we'll look at it then.
Well, the current approach so far was to keep previous file versions
around in a semi-chaotic approach. I think that having a version
control will allow to have 1 "current/latest" visible file for normal
users, and also will provide a nicely organized history of the previous
file versions. Also, we can tag software and hardware/design files with
appropriate tags, thus allowing a simplified download of a compatible
set of files, both from the wiki and via SVN clients.

One issue with the file approach is that when someone updates the
software on some of the SBCs, people don't have an easy way to diff the
old/new versions. This will also be solved by having the version
control, and SVN will handle nicely the changes' metadata, like change
date, change summary, author name, etc (which people are manually
putting right now).
Post by Andrew Bingham
I could also see SVN being a
bit hit on site bandwidth if everyone decides to checkout the entire
tree every time.
If someone decides to download all project files every time, the BW hit
will be the same. Usually the 1st download is bigger as it downloads
all the files in the specific repository, but then the updates are much
cheaper - only the changed files are sent over the network, in
compressed form.

If you have BW limitations on your hosting plan, I'll be more than
happy to help with the SVN repos hosting.

Regards,
Nikolay
John Snowdon
2015-10-30 08:27:35 UTC
Thanks for this Andrew! The past few months have been quite concerning;
first with the walled garden going up around the home page and wiki, then
with the announcement of the name, google group and wiki to be withdrawn.

I'm sure this could all have been sorted out much easier before we got to
this point, but you have my thanks for taking this on and getting something
open-source, easy to use and easy to access in place.

Cheers,
John