[N8VEM: 17251] Greetings everyone!
Neil Bradley
2014-01-28 21:57:29 UTC
Thanks for the add Andrew! Wanted to quickly introduce myself and talk
about a project I'm working on. Very excited to learn as much as I can
about N8VEM and boards, etc... and contribute! I hope I don't make too
much of a fool of myself for posting this to the wrong place, but I'm
hoping it'll be at least somewhat interesting.

Recently I've been working on a 20Mhz Z80 board (I call Zora):

(haven't made PCBs yet)

Features:

* 20Mhz Z80
* 512K Flash (any 8K page can be banked into 8K addr space on the Z80)
* 512K SRAM (any 8K page can be banked into 8K addr space on the Z80)
* RTC
* POST LEDs and general purpose inputs and outputs
* 16552 (Dual 16550 UARTs) - one for console, one for general purpose
* Periodic clock (interrupt driven)
* 1Hz clock (interrupt driven)
* SPI Engine in CPLD to talk to SD and Wiznet ethernet boards
* Runs CP/M, MS Basic, and my own OS I'm working on

I have a reasonable bit of experience with the MAX 7000S series of CPLDs
from Altera, and plenty of experience with UART communications and
software. Is there currently any need of assistance in this department for
N8VEM? I'm also happy to provide any and all design resources if it'll
help.

Thanks much! Very excited to be here!

-->Neil

C. Neil Bradley - Excessive process falsely elevates the incapable and ties
the hands of the exceptional.
Joachim Gaßler
2014-01-29 18:33:16 UTC
Greetings, Neil!
Post by Neil Bradley
[...]
http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/ZoraRev2Front.jpg
http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/ZoraRev2Back.jpg
Nice board. The use of an EPM7128S simplifies the design immensely. I am
using similar technique for a 6809 based board, which is at the PCB
manufacturer by now. Hopefully it will arrive next week.
Post by Neil Bradley
(haven't made PCBs yet)
* 20Mhz Z80
* 512K Flash (any 8K page can be banked into 8K addr space on the Z80)
* 512K SRAM (any 8K page can be banked into 8K addr space on the Z80)
* RTC
* POST LEDs and general purpose inputs and outputs
* 16552 (Dual 16550 UARTs) - one for console, one for general purpose
* Periodic clock (interrupt driven)
* 1Hz clock (interrupt driven)
* SPI Engine in CPLD to talk to SD and Wiznet ethernet boards
* Runs CP/M, MS Basic, and my own OS I'm working on
I am using a 2MHz 68B09 with 1MB RAM and two sockets for 28C64 Flash,
which could also be used for 62256 RAM in an early development stage. An
Epson 72421 RTC is integrated, as well as a FT245RL for USB terminal
purposes.

The EPM7128S contains a MMU and 16-bit DMA feature for an IDE disk port.
Because those features fill the 7128 completely, a 7032 is used for
address decoding and interrupt handling.

I will report further when the initial build is done.

Joachim