[N8VEM: 16613] Interest in a new order of the existing ECB 6x0x Host Processor Boards?
p***@public.gmane.org
2013-12-04 20:30:49 UTC
I know there is a lot of activity going into designing a standalone
6809/6502 board that will fit into an ATX case (Colossus), but I was
wondering how many folks would be interested in buying one of the existing
ECB 6x0x host processor boards to use as a "peripheral" with the Z-80 SBC.
I am interested in getting access to a 6809 system, but don't really want
to go through a complicated build -- is anyone else in the same camp?

If there is enough interest then we could kindly ask Andrew to order up a
new run when he places his next PC board order. Thoughts?

For those interested, I have a SBC v2 and DiskIO v3 up and running on the 8
slot backplane and am in the process of building the bus monitor and dual
SD card boards. Many thanks to all of you who made this a pretty simple
buy & build effort that has pretty much gone by the numbers (so far). The
CPU is running at 8 MHz and I am using ALS family chips for most of the TTL
parts. No issues getting it up and running with a 1.44 MB floppy and 9 GB
IDE hard disk.
AG5AT
2013-12-04 23:46:56 UTC
Currently your diskio v3 card won't work with the current 6x0x software for hosted mode. If you see my post on another thread, I am close to floppy and hard disk support for the v3 card using hbios part of RomWBW

Aug
In Arkansas
p***@public.gmane.org
2013-12-16 22:57:02 UTC
AG5AT -- thanks for the heads up on the Disk IO v3.

Given the lack of responses, it looks like I am alone in the desire to do another 6x0x peripheral CPU board build. Given that, does anyone have a board they want to sell? Preferably just the bare board, but I'll entertain buying a board in various states of being built as long as it wasn't totally butchered.
AG5AT

2013-12-17 16:25:38 UTC
Andrew told me he doesn't have any left -- hence the reason for my original post.
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-17 20:56:27 UTC
Post by p***@public.gmane.org
Andrew told me he doesn't have any left -- hence the reason for my original post.
I'm new here, but I'd actually be interested in a new order for the 6x0x
boards. I've recently cleaned up a storage room and dug up a few
(hopefully working) 6502s...
No hurry though: I'm now building the disk I/O v3 and backplane for my
SBC v2 and I'll be busy for a little while.

Fabio
p***@public.gmane.org
2013-12-18 23:28:33 UTC
I just built a Disk IO v3 and really like it. There is something fun about using floppy disks again and connecting old hard disks to CP/M.

As far as a new order of 6x0x ECB boards goes, my guess is that Andrew has to meet some minimum order amount to get the costs down. Not sure what that is, but it could be as low as 10.

Two down, eight to go. Any others interested?
Vince Mulhollon
2013-12-19 16:54:12 UTC
Post by p***@public.gmane.org
Two down, eight to go. Any others interested?
The last batch of Host Proc and IO Mez were sold out by the time I tried to
order three of each. They went fast, I blinked and missed it. Apparently
very popular boards!

Of course it has to be realized that by this time, a reorder of the old
style boards would probably not arrive until well after the new style
boards.

None the less I'd commit to three of the old ones, so thats five down and a
very theoretical five to go.

If its a price/quantity issue I have a thing for the 6800 series and
especially the 6809 so I'd pay twice the usual pcb price, wouldn't even
blink. I guess thats another way of saying I'd buy six at normal price if
I really had to even though I really only want three.. I suppose you can
never have too many 6809 in the herd... If you others would also be up for
twice normal cost aka two boards for the price of two or whatever, then I
guess we'd up up to ten physical boards right now.

Regardless if an old board reorder pans out or not I'll be buying the new
board too of course once its up for official preorders. My workbench is
-full- so no idea when I'd build, but I'd buy the PCB for sure.
Andrew Lynch
2013-12-22 15:02:31 UTC
Hi

My plan and hope is that the new 6x0x SBC will replace the ECB 6x0x host
processor/ECB 6x0x IO mezzanine/ECB 6x0x ECB backplane stack with a simpler,
less costly, and more reliable and complete solution.

There are many oddities in the ECB 6x0x boards that are resolved in the new
6x0x SBC.

I agree that the 6809/6502/6802 co-processor is a neat idea and I like it.

However the ECB 6x0x project evolved in some strange ways and resulted in
some really unusual design issues.

I believe the new 6x0x SBC is *much* cleaner design and will ultimately be a
major improvement.

The initial 6x0x prototype boards are out and builders will start build and
test.

Only time will tell now! Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
2013-12-27 01:55:13 UTC
Happy Holidays, Andrew!

Totally understand the rationale behind moving away from the original
design that required three boards in an awkward configuration to produce a
standalone 6x0x system and I have a eye on building one of the new 6x0x
SBCs when I have stretch of spare time. That being said, I was under the
impression that the original board 6x0x CPU board worked fine when it was
being driven as a peripheral on the ECB bus, so isn't there room for both?
Totally agree that new development efforts should be directed towards
the standalone 6x0x SBC, but it also seems like there is enough demand for
the existing 6x0x CPU board to warrant an additional run.

--Bill
wally
2014-01-30 19:55:05 UTC
If there is another run of the 6x0x boards i would be interested in the
6x0x backplane board. I have the processor and I/O boards but was hoping to
expand the system.

Thanks

Pat
oscarv
2013-12-17 12:27:30 UTC
I would find it a pity if the 6x0x ECB board is considered obsolete now
that the 6x0x main board is coming out. It remains Very Cool to have a 6809
coprocessing board in the standard N8VEM ECB rack. The idea to have add-on
ECB computers that use the N8VEM SBC as their I/O server is a nice one.

The only reason for not buying is that I have one already :)