[N8VEM: 16897] N8HC working well - need a push
Richard Cini
2013-12-29 19:04:15 UTC
All ‹

I¹ve made some great progress with my HC this weekend (thanks John on the SD
soldering). I think this might be the last push I need on this and it
relates to the SD card again.

I have two SD cards ‹ a 512mb and 8gb, both formatted for FAT32 (had to
force it on the 512mb one using the HP formatting tool). I have two ROM
images made ‹ one for CP/M and one for MSX (which also tests the audio and
video ­ it works), but the SD card isn¹t working with either. I checked that
it was soldered right and that there was continuity based on the schematic.

I re-built the RomWBW to set the card size to 512 (from the standard 64). I
do not see the same setting in the MSX BIOS, although I made sure I changed
SDPORT=1 in SYSOPTS.ASM to configure it for CSIO.

On the MSXBIOS, it looks for LOADER.CAR (I used the 7/12/12 version) but it
didn¹t locate it and ended at MSX-BASIC.

On the RomWBW, I get the following (edited slightly). I guess it¹s not able
to communicate with the SD card or I¹m using a card that the firmware
doesn¹t like for some reason.

SD: UNITS=01 MODE=CSIO FAST IO=0x88 CNTR=0x4A TRDR=0x4B
SD0: COMMAND TIMEOUT

I also have one other question ‹ which is the right MSX BIOS I should be
using? The version I found from 2012 seems to have a file missing that¹s
required to build it.

Thanks again!

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-29 20:04:10 UTC
Hi Rich,

I assume you are using the N8-2312 (later variation of the design). One of
the differences in the 2312 variant is that the SD Card interface was moved
to the Z80 CSIO interface. So, the SD Card interface code for the 2312
changed. To the best of my knowledge, the last version of the MSX BIOS
released was still for the older N8 variant. If I am right, it simply will
not work with the 2312.

With respect to RomWBW, it looks like you are using the correct variant for
the pre-built ROMS. The error you see is a a generic non-response from the
SD Card -- could mean almost anything. The size parameter in the
configuration won't really make much difference. It will only affect the
number of "slices" you can use from CP/M. It definitely won't solve the
error you are seeing. It is possible that the card you are using is not
compatible with the driver code (that has plagued the driver in the past).
However, the current driver was a major overhaul and includes robust
support for both standard and SDHC cards. I have tested a lot of them and
have not heard of anyone reporting any SD cards not working at this point.
If you are getting the same error with two cards, I am not sure what to
suggest. Please confirm the correct voltage (3.3) is being delivered to
the SD Card interface VCC pin.

Thanks,

Wayne

Post by Richard Cini
do not see the same setting in the MSX BIOS, although I made sure I changed
SDPORT=1 in SYSOPTS.ASM to configure it for CSIO.
On the MSXBIOS, it looks for LOADER.CAR (I used the 7/12/12 version) but
it didn’t locate it and ended at MSX-BASIC.
On the RomWBW, I get the following (edited slightly). I guess it’s not
able to communicate with the SD card or I’m using a card that the firmware
doesn’t like for some reason.
SD: UNITS=01 MODE=CSIO FAST IO=0x88 CNTR=0x4A TRDR=0x4B
SD0: COMMAND TIMEOUT
I also have one other question — which is the right MSX BIOS I should be
using? The version I found from 2012 seems to have a file missing that’s
required to build it.
Thanks again!
Rich
Richard Cini
2013-12-29 20:55:20 UTC
Wayne ‹

Thanks. I will check VCC and try some other cards that I have laying around.
The board is indeed the 2312 version.

I re-built the MSX ROM from the 7/2012 code and now it doesn¹t display the
messages showing that it¹s searching for the SD card but it still winds-up
in BASIC.

Do you know if there is there a plan to update the MSX code?

Rich

Wayne Warthen
2013-12-29 21:59:01 UTC
Well, the MSX code was produced by Dan Werner. I believe he monitors this
forum, so perhaps he can respond. I have my plate pretty full right now,
so I don't think I am able to help.

--Wayne
Wayne —
Thanks. I will check VCC and try some other cards that I have laying
around. The board is indeed the 2312 version.
I re-built the MSX ROM from the 7/2012 code and now it doesn’t display the
messages showing that it’s searching for the SD card but it still winds-up
Dan Werner
2013-12-29 23:25:41 UTC
There is still a plan to update the MSX rom, just not enough time in the
day! I actually had begun the work of updating the MSX rom for the 2312
right after the 2312 came out, but there was little interest at the time, so
I moved on to other things. I believe that the 2312 will boot to a FAT
formatted floppy and run the ROM images, I think it is just the SD logic
that is broken.

I am currently working on the new 6x0x board, but will be visiting the MSX
rom shortly after (for both the new S-100 card and the 2312)

Dan

From: Wayne Warthen <wwar...-***@public.gmane.org <javascript:> >
Date: Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <n8...-/***@public.gmane.org <javascript:> >

[...]

version) but it didn't locate it and ended at MSX-BASIC.

On the RomWBW, I get the following (edited slightly). I guess
it's not able to communicate with the SD card or I'm using a card that the
firmware doesn't like for some reason.

SD: UNITS=01 MODE=CSIO FAST IO=0x88 CNTR=0x4A
TRDR=0x4B

SD0: COMMAND TIMEOUT

I also have one other question - which is the right MSX BIOS I
should be using? The version I found from 2012 seems to have a file missing
that's required to build it.

Thanks again!

Rich

Richard Cini
2013-12-29 23:50:32 UTC
Thanks Dan. I assume that it¹s the same thing as the SD ‹ blank disk with
loader.car and the img files?

Rich

Dan Werner
2013-12-30 01:07:44 UTC