[N8VEM: 18622] ADIO prototypes received - all bad
Richard Cini
2014-09-06 15:49:26 UTC
All ‹

I received the ADIO board prototypes today from OSH Park and all boards are
bad. While they are a pretty color purple, the Gerbers must have gotten
messed up when interpreted by their system so only 20% of the board has
copper or plated holes. I¹ve opened a ticket to see what happened. I¹ve used
DipTrace Gerber output with other board houses with no problem, so I¹m at a
loss right now as to what happened.

At least with these boards I can check for component spacing and fitÅ

Very disappointed.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-09-06 15:59:22 UTC
Rich,

Did they display OK with OSHpark's preview app? I've ordered a bunch of
custom boards from them, and had no errors, so far.

If you want, I'd be happy to take a look at what you ordered, to see if I
can see anything.

- Alex
All —
I received the ADIO board prototypes today from OSH Park and all boards
are bad. While they are a pretty color purple, the Gerbers must have gotten
messed up when interpreted by their system so only 20% of the board has
copper or plated holes. I’ve opened a ticket to see what happened. I’ve
used DipTrace Gerber output with other board houses with no problem, so I’m

Richard Cini
2014-09-06 17:03:58 UTC
Alex ‹

Thanks Alex. Not exactly sure where the preview app is, but the board did
pass a FreeDFM check. Attached is the ZIP file I submitted, and I also
included a picture of what was in the confirmation email from the fab. I
guess I didn¹t notice it when I saw the email originally, but clearly the
board is X-Y offset.

Thanks!

Rich

J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-09-06 17:43:49 UTC
Rich,

I just ran the zip file that you sent through OSHpark's app, and this is
what I got, as a result:

​
I can't see the offset, but maybe you can point it out. Of course, I
couldn't see the problem with the thumbnail that you uploaded, either, but
it was a bit small.

- Alex
Alex —
Thanks Alex. Not exactly sure where the preview app is, but the board did
pass a FreeDFM check. Attached is the ZIP file I submitted, and I also
included a picture of what was in the confirmation email from the fab. I
guess I didn’t notice it when I saw the email originally, but clearly the
board is X-Y offset.
Thanks!
Rich

Richard Cini
2014-09-06 18:33:01 UTC
That’s the way it should look. At least we know that it’s not the files I
submitted.

If you look at the graphic I sent, although small, seems to be the panel
they made. The light-purple area in the lower-left corner
that’s where all
of the copper and holes/vias. The upper right corner is the finished board
outline itself. I attached the graphic again with some annotations. The
yellow box is the light-purple area I mentioned. The red box is the actual
board outline and what was delivered to me. Where they overlap (the yellow
area inside the red area) is the ONLY spot on the board where there are
PTH/vias and some traces.

Very weird. I did open a ticket so I’m waiting to hear back.

Rich

From: "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks-***@public.gmane.org>
Date: Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 18625] ADIO prototypes received - all bad

Rich,

I just ran the zip file that you sent through OSHpark's app, and this is
what I got, as a result:

​
I can't see the offset, but maybe you can point it out. Of course, I
couldn't see the problem with the thumbnail that you uploaded, either, but
it was a bit small.

- Alex
Alex —
Thanks Alex. Not exactly sure where the preview app is, but the board did pass
a FreeDFM check. Attached is the ZIP file I submitted, and I also included a
picture of what was in the confirmation email from the fab. I guess I didn’t
Date: Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Rich,
Did they display OK with OSHpark's preview app? I've ordered a bunch of
custom boards from them, and had no errors, so far.
If you want, I'd be happy to take a look at what you ordered, to see if I can
see anything.
- Alex
All —
I received the ADIO board prototypes today from OSH Park and all boards are
bad. While they are a pretty color purple, the Gerbers must have gotten
messed up when interpreted by their system so only 20% of the board has
copper or plated holes. I’ve opened a ticket to see what happened. I’ve used
DipTrace Gerber output with other board houses with no problem, so I’m at a

J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-09-06 18:58:20 UTC
Rich,

Ah, I think that I do see the problem. I hope that OSHpark can help you
with this situation.

- Alex

James Moxham
2014-09-07 00:21:00 UTC
I have had a few bad batches. Maybe one in twenty, and with various fab
houses so it isn't just Oshpark. The last one (Seeed Studio) they had one
gerber flipped 90 degrees and mirror imaged. Frustrating, but on the other
hand, only happens occasionally and usually I seem to spot another
improvement/error along the way. My boards usually take to about version 7
before they are all ok.

I hope they can help you out with a fix.

James Moxham
2014-09-06 20:20:23 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
Sorry to hear of the fabrication problems.<br>
Andrew got me in the habit of passing all design files, in a single
zip, through the free Design Rule Checker available through Advanced
Circuits (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.4pcb.com">www.4pcb.com</a>).&nbsp; The checker is available from the home
page.<br>
I usually get complaints about the silkscreen layer; their program
is quite picky.<br>
--John<br>
On 09/06/2014 08:49 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
received the ADIO board prototypes today from OSH Park and
all boards are bad. While they are a pretty color purple,
the Gerbers must have gotten messed up when interpreted by
their system so only 20% of the board has copper or plated
holes. I&#8217;ve opened a ticket to see what happened. I&#8217;ve used
DipTrace Gerber output with other board houses with no
problem, so I&#8217;m at a loss right now as to what happened.</div>
least with these boards I can check for component spacing
and fit&#8230;</div>
disappointed.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br />
Richard Cini
2014-09-06 21:31:32 UTC
John ‹

I agree, and I do the same thing ‹ the ³FreeDFM² service is from Advanced.
Works great. No errors reported on this design. AlexanderJ ran the submitted
Gerbers through a tool on OSH and they came out perfectly. So, I have no
idea what happened. I did discover that the ECB connector holes are too
small as well. I checked and I used 0.055/0.032, same as the KiCad library.
Must be a tooling error too.

Rich

From: John Coffman <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org>
Date: Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 18629] ADIO prototypes received - all bad

Rich,

Sorry to hear of the fabrication problems.

Andrew got me in the habit of passing all design files, in a single zip,
through the free Design Rule Checker available through Advanced Circuits
(www.4pcb.com <http://www.4pcb.com> ). The checker is available from the
home page.

I usually get complaints about the silkscreen layer; their program is quite
picky.

--John
2014-09-07 02:23:46 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
I expect that if FreeDFM passed the boards, the Gerber files were
okay and the problem lies with the vendor.&nbsp; Ouch.<br>
I think I would rate vendors "Advanced Circuits" &gt; "PCBcart" in
that order, and add that all the boards I have ordered from PCBcart
have been perfect.&nbsp; This includes the 4-layer Z180 Mark IV (2
production runs from PCBcart).<br>
--John<br>
On 09/06/2014 02:31 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
agree, and I do the same thing &#8212; the &#8220;FreeDFM&#8221; service is
from Advanced. Works great. No errors reported on this
design. AlexanderJ ran the submitted Gerbers through a tool
on OSH and they came out perfectly. So, I have no idea what
happened. I did discover that the ECB connector holes are
too small as well. I checked and I used 0.055/0.032, same as
the KiCad library. Must be a tooling error too.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> John
Coffman &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:johninsd-***@public.gmane.org">johninsd-***@public.gmane.org</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>&gt;<br>
September 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>&gt;<br>
18629] ADIO prototypes received - all bad<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Sorry to hear of the fabrication problems.<br>
Andrew got me in the habit of passing all design files, in a
single zip, through the free Design Rule Checker available
through Advanced Circuits (<a moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.4pcb.com">www.4pcb.com</a>).&nbsp; The checker
is available from the home page.<br>
I usually get complaints about the silkscreen layer; their
program is quite picky.<br>
--John<br>
On 09/06/2014 08:49 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
pre;"> </span>I received the ADIO board
prototypes today from OSH Park and all boards are
bad. While they are a pretty color purple, the
Gerbers must have gotten messed up when interpreted
by their system so only 20% of the board has copper
or plated holes. I&#8217;ve opened a ticket to see what
happened. I&#8217;ve used DipTrace Gerber output with
other board houses with no problem, so I&#8217;m at a loss
right now as to what happened.</div>
pre;"> </span>At least with these boards I can
check for component spacing and fit&#8230;</div>
pre;"> </span>Very disappointed.</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
--&nbsp;</blockquote>

Rich Cini
2014-09-07 12:06:15 UTC
I agree. I've ordered three boards from PCBcart, including the PIC board, and they were perfect.

Rich Cini
Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
I expect that if FreeDFM passed the boards, the Gerber files were okay and the problem lies with the vendor. Ouch.
I think I would rate vendors "Advanced Circuits" > "PCBcart" in that order, and add that all the boards I have ordered from PCBcart have been perfect. This includes the 4-layer Z180 Mark IV (2 production runs from PCBcart).
--John
John —
I agree, and I do the same thing — the “FreeDFM” service is from Advanced. Works great. No errors reported on this design. AlexanderJ ran the submitted Gerbers through a tool on OSH and they came out perfectly. So, I have no idea what happened. I did discover that the ECB connector holes are too small as well. I checked and I used 0.055/0.032, same as the KiCad library. Must be a tooling error too.
Date: Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Rich,
Sorry to hear of the fabrication problems.
Andrew got me in the habit of passing all design files, in a single zip, through the free Design Rule Checker available through Advanced Circuits (www.4pcb.com). The checker is available from the home page.
I usually get complaints about the silkscreen layer; their program is quite picky.
--John
All —
I received the ADIO board prototypes today from OSH Park and all boards are bad. While they are a pretty color purple, the Gerbers must have gotten messed up when interpreted by their system so only 20% of the board has copper or plated holes. I’ve opened a ticket to see what happened. I’ve used DipTrace Gerber output with other board houses with no problem, so I’m at a loss right now as to what happened.

Andrew Bingham
2014-09-08 04:50:14 UTC
I know PCBCart looks at the files because they found where some of my
silkscreen text overlapped an adjacent footprint on the 6x0x board, and
they were also able to move it for me.

Rich Cini
2014-09-08 10:10:07 UTC
I received an email from OSH last night saying thy detected a problem with the board on Friday and sent me corrected gerber files -- something about a CAM setting being wrong. I'm unclear if they are sending replacement boards or if the problem was on their end or my end.

Again, I've gone through the same process with other board houses and if there was a problem with the files being produced by DipTrace, no one has said. Pretty weird.

Rich Cini
Sent from my iPhone

Edward Snider
2014-09-07 02:35:41 UTC
Strange.... I've not had a problem with OSH Park yet. They do seem very
automated though, I'm not sure things
get much of a review going through their system.

Sorry to hear you had trouble with these. Hopefully they will remake the
boards for you.

Ed