[N8VEM: 17117] 20 or 24-bit version of Bus Monitor?
Andrew Bingham
2014-01-13 03:54:37 UTC
Hello,

I'm starting the process of building up an ECB system. I'm planning to use
my Zeta with the Zeta-2-ECB board to start with, and then one of John's
Mark IV Z180 boards when they are debugged, and maybe branch out into the
SBC-188 as well.

I picked up on of the 505-6508 PLC chassis to build in, and I was looking
at making a nice front panel using the Bus Monitor PCB. However I realized
that the SBC-188, mini-68000, and 4MEM boards use (at least) 4 additional
address lines to address up to a full 1 Mb.... From reading the wiki and
the history of the N8VEM project it seems like the Bus Monitor was one of
the first PCBs completed, before the decision was made to extend addressing
to these extra lines.

Are there any thoughts on updating the Bus Monitor to support 20-bit (or
even 24-bit, if the pins are there) addresses for use with the currently
available boards? From a circuit perspective I can see that it would be
simple to do...

Andrew
2014-01-13 04:10:02 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Andrew:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; True.&nbsp; The SBC-188 &amp; 4MEM boards use 20-bit addresses on the
backplane.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Mini-68K uses only 22-bits, but drives all 24 address lines.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Z180 Mark IV has the 20-bit CPU addresses extended to
24-bits on the external bus.&nbsp; It anticipates a future 24-bit address
width memory board, or can use 4MEM boards either bank switched or
as RAMdisk.<br>
--John<br>
On 01/12/2014 07:54 PM, Andrew Bingham wrote:
cite="mid:a64553de-132d-4cbb-91a2-103d3ac78d58-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
planning to use my Zeta with the Zeta-2-ECB board to start
with, and then one of John's Mark IV Z180 boards when they are
debugged, and maybe branch out into the SBC-188 as well.</div>
I was looking at making a nice front panel using the Bus
Monitor PCB. &nbsp;However I realized that the SBC-188, mini-68000,
and 4MEM boards use (at least) 4 additional address lines to
address up to a full 1 Mb.... &nbsp;From reading the wiki and the
history of the N8VEM project it seems like the Bus Monitor was
one of the first PCBs completed, before the decision was made
to extend addressing to these extra lines.</div>
support 20-bit (or even 24-bit, if the pins are there)
addresses for use with the currently available boards? &nbsp;From a
circuit perspective I can see that it would be simple to do...</div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to n8vem+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org<br />
Andrew Bingham
2014-01-13 05:33:50 UTC
Does anything use data lines above D07? I see that up to D15 are connected
on the backplanes...
True. The SBC-188 & 4MEM boards use 20-bit addresses on the backplane.
The Mini-68K uses only 22-bits, but drives all 24 address lines.
The Z180 Mark IV has the 20-bit CPU addresses extended to 24-bits on
the external bus. It anticipates a future 24-bit address width memory
board, or can use 4MEM boards either bank switched or as RAMdisk.
--John