[N8VEM: 16908] N8-2312 success! but need jumper configuration
Arlen
2013-12-30 23:58:48 UTC
After a long time away from the project, I have finally finished soldering
my N8-2312.

Using the standard RomWBW 2.5.2, I am delighted to report that I am able to
boot CP/M from rom!

Transfer of files from rom B: to the ram drive A: using PIP works fine too.

My N8-2312 is happily babbling an endless "Hello World!" in MBASIC right
now.

However I am uncertain if I have all the configuration jumpers set
correctly. I haven't found a summary on the wiki for the N8-2312 jumper
settings (it's certainly possible I haven't been looking in the right
place). This is what I'm currently using:

JP7 open
JP8 open
JP10 open
JP12 open
JP14 1-2
JP15 open

K2 open
K3 1-2
K4 2-3
K5 2-3
K9 1-2
K16 1-2
K17 2-3
K18 1-2
K19 2-3
K20 2-3
K21 2-3
K22 2-3

P22 3-4, 5-6
P33 open
P43 open
P44 1-2
P45 open
P50 1-2, 3-4

Can someone please tell me if these jumper settings are correct?

Also, since I don't have a backup battery or supercap installed, I've
replaced the DS1210 chips at U25 and U54 with jumpers (pins 1-8 and 5-6) as
several builders have suggested.

I'd appreciate a confirmation of my configuration while I start to get into
more testing.

Other details of my setup: I am using a 33 MHz Z8S180 running with an
18.432 MHz oscillator, a 29F040 flash rom, and 512K ram chips. The logic is
all 74LS. My serial terminal is a Mac running ZTerm at 38.4k with a
USB-to-RS232 adapter.

Thanks again to the N8VEM community for making this elegant design possible!

Arlen Michaels