[N8VEM: 17477] 1.8432MHz XC231-ND Substitute
Charles Blythe
2014-03-01 04:12:53 UTC
I have all of the parts for my N8VEM SBC V2, except for the 1.8432MHz oscillator. XC231-ND is on backorder at Digi-Key until some time in May, so I was thinking about ordering an oscillator from Jameco or Mouser. Here are the part numbers that I am looking at, both of them are full size, but I think I can make an adapter.

Jameco Part # 27879
Mouaer Part # 774-MXO45HS-3C-1.8

Will either of these oscillators work in the N8VEM SBC V2? If not, I have a 1.8432MHz crystal that I might be able to use in a diy oscillator, and a 7.3278MHz oscillator, but I would have to figure out how to change the divider in my 16c450.

Thanks,

Charles
Vince Mulhollon
2014-03-04 13:27:43 UTC
Post by Charles Blythe
both of them are full size, but I think I can make an adapter.
Mouaer Part # 774-MXO45HS-3C-1.8
I pulled the data sheet for the mouser part and a 45 (no suffix) is the
full size aka 14 pin and the 45HS as you list is the half size aka 8 pin.

Also this is constant output not tristate, again is what you want. The
tristate is 45HST model.

I'd cautiously say you're all good there with the 45HS part listed above.

Does anyone else have problems with oscillator sockets or is it just me?
The pins on the osc are always too long so I end up trimming them, and the
specially designed and spec'd sockets have the osc fall right out, so I
inevitably end up loosely tie-strap / zip strap the osc into the socket
wrapping around the short way. Maybe the make of the osc needs to be
matched to the make of the socket WRT wire gauge expectations.
Jim Strickland
2014-03-04 19:08:32 UTC
Yes to both. I love the form factor - being able to swap oscillators just
by cutting a ziptie, trimming some leads, and plugging in a new one is
wonderful, but all the problems you list are exactly my experience as well.

In my collection of oscillators, I have one that looks much more like
this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SGR-8002DB-PTB/SGR-8002DB-PTB-ND/755233,
which I suspect would solve the socket problem entirely, but darn it, it
wouldn't /look/ the same. It's strange how much esthetics seem to enter
into this hobby for me.

-JRS
Sergey
2014-03-08 07:23:15 UTC
You also might be able to replace the oscillator with a 1.8345 MHz quartz crystal, couple of capacitors, and a resistor.
See page 16 here: http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?genericPartNumber=pc16550d&fileType=pdf

Thanks,
Sergey
Sergey
2014-03-08 07:24:11 UTC
1.8432 MHz :-)
Charles Blythe
2014-03-09 08:23:39 UTC
Sergey,

I ended up buying the 774-MXO45HS-3C-1.8 oscillator from Mouser. The board
is working great and I am having a lot of fun with it. I did end up
building an adapter to put full size oscillators in the half size socket,
but that was to replace my 4MHz system clock oscillator with a faster one
that I had laying around. Now my system clock runs at four times my UART
clock.

Thanks,
Charles