[N8VEM: 17104] ECB 12-slot Backplane pre-orders
John Coffman
2014-01-12 17:59:12 UTC
<head>

</head>
To All,<br>
I was surprised at the interest in the 12-slot backplane for the
Symtec 6508 chassis, or wood-backed mounting.&nbsp; With the number of
people expressing interest in the board, it can be produced at a
slightly lower cost.&nbsp; The following assumes at least 8 orders:<br>
Board thickness:&nbsp; 1/8", 12 spaces at 0.8" intervals for 96-pin DIN
female connectors, drilled to fit the Symtec 6508 chassis.&nbsp; This
board is for hobbyist use only.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Board pre-order price:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $35 each<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; USA Shipping:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First
Class&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Priority Mail<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $4 first board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; $6 one or more boards<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $1 second board<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; International:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $12 first
board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $24 one or more boards<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $ 6 second board<br>
Shipping insurance is optional, at additional cost, and is the
responsibility of the buyer.<br>
Please pay by Paypal to <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:johninsd-***@public.gmane.org">&lt;johninsd-***@public.gmane.org&gt;</a> in US funds.&nbsp; As
soon as I have enough orders, I will send the board for
manufacture.&nbsp; If there are not enough orders, I will issue full
Paypal refunds.&nbsp; Estimated delivery is about one month.<br>
--John<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to n8vem+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org<br />
Fabio Battaglia
2014-01-12 18:06:15 UTC
Hi John!
Just sent you the funds for two boards + shipping!

Thanks,
Fabio

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM, John Coffman <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> To All,
>
> I was surprised at the interest in the 12-slot backplane for the Symtec
> 6508 chassis, or wood-backed mounting. With the number of people
> expressing interest in the board, it can be produced at a slightly lower
> cost. The following assumes at least 8 orders:
>
> Board thickness: 1/8", 12 spaces at 0.8" intervals for 96-pin DIN female
> connectors, drilled to fit the Symtec 6508 chassis. This board is for
> hobbyist use only.
>
> Board pre-order price: $35 each
> USA Shipping: First
> Class Priority Mail
> $4 first board
> $6 one or more boards
> $1 second board
>
> International: $12 first
> board $24 one or more boards
> $ 6 second board
>
> Shipping insurance is optional, at additional cost, and is the
> responsibility of the buyer.
>
> Please pay by Paypal to <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> in US
> funds. As soon as I have enough orders, I will send the board for
> manufacture. If there are not enough orders, I will issue full Paypal
> refunds. Estimated delivery is about one month.
>
> --John
>

> --

Dott. Fabio Battaglia
Blog - http://mercatopo.blogspot.com

Andrew Bingham
2014-01-12 20:14:11 UTC
John,

I sent you PayPal for one board.

Andrew

yoda
2014-01-12 21:03:29 UTC
John

Sent funds for 2 boards

Thanks

Dave

Ian May
2014-01-13 03:44:16 UTC
Hi John,
I have sent you the funds for three boards and international shipping.
Thanks,
Ian.

2014-01-13 03:55:57 UTC
There is a glaring error in the board specification below. These boards
are the standard 1/16" thick specifically to fit into the Symtec 6508
chassis. They are not 1/8" thick, which was the standard thickness of
earlier N8VEM backplanes.

If anyone finds this thickness unacceptable, please contact me and I will
refund your Paypal payments.

--John

Martin Lukasek
2014-01-13 10:56:42 UTC
Hi John,

thank you, I have sent you PayPal for one piece.

Best regards

Martin
http://www.8bity.cz<http://www.8bity.cz/>

There is a glaring error in the board specification below. These boards are the standard 1/16" thick specifically to fit into the Symtec 6508 chassis. They are not 1/8" thick, which was the standard thickness of earlier N8VEM backplanes.

If anyone finds this thickness unacceptable, please contact me and I will refund your Paypal payments.

--John

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:59:12 AM UTC-8, John Coffman wrote:
To All,

I was surprised at the interest in the 12-slot backplane for the Symtec 6508 chassis, or wood-backed mounting. With the number of people expressing interest in the board, it can be produced at a slightly lower cost. The following assumes at least 8 orders:

Board thickness: 1/8", 12 spaces at 0.8" intervals for 96-pin DIN female connectors, drilled to fit the Symtec 6508 chassis. This board is for hobbyist use only.

Board pre-order price: $35 each
USA Shipping: First Class Priority Mail
$4 first board $6 one or more boards
$1 second board

International: $12 first board $24 one or more boards
$ 6 second board

Shipping insurance is optional, at additional cost, and is the responsibility of the buyer.

Please pay by Paypal to <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org><mailto:johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> in US funds. As soon as I have enough orders, I will send the board for manufacture. If there are not enough orders, I will issue full Paypal refunds. Estimated delivery is about one month.

--John

G. Beat
2014-01-14 02:09:16 UTC
John,

The TI / Siemens 505-6508 8 Slot I/O Base racks are readily available via surplus for ~ $30 USD.
You said this board is 1/16" (0.0625") thick. I assume the mounting holes and rack guides line up OK ?

I would be interested in one, build the backplane before building the CPU cards :-)

greg
John Coffman
2014-01-14 06:17:17 UTC
G. Beat
2014-01-15 10:58:18 UTC
John -

Have you trued to fit 2 of these 12-slot backplanes (~ 3U ) into this 6U case?

greg
w9gb
John Coffman
2014-01-15 17:48:20 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
On 01/15/2014 02:58 AM, G. Beat wrote:
cite="mid:1f3cdbcb-7253-49f2-ba9b-f54b160826bc-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">John -

Have you trued to fit 2 of these 12-slot backplanes (~ 3U ) into this 6U case?

</pre>
The way the backplane mounts, that is not possible.&nbsp; The support in
the middle is a very solid metal bar bent to provide a parallel
slot.<br>
Nor is the 505-6508 case set up for a single backplane with 2 rows
of connectors.&nbsp; The card guides on both sides have the 1/16" slot,
but both have&nbsp; an alignment plug which would prevent sliding in a
backplane; plus, the ends of the rack are riveted.<br>
This is a case for 6U boards (or 3U), with one row of Eurocard P1
connectors.&nbsp; There is really no provision for the P2 row.<br>

Andrew Bingham
2014-01-15 18:16:53 UTC
I suppose if there was a dual-row, 24-slot PCB the size of the entire
chassis (so it could pick up the holes that the existing metal bar mounts
to and the slots in each card guide) , *and* one was willing to drill out
the rivets and disassemble the chassis and re-poprivet it together with the
backplane permanently installed (or use nuts and bolts to put it back
together, this could be made to work.

I think the PCB would have issues with flexibility at that size though, so
some other support where the bar was would be required.

It seems to me that all that work would kind of defeat the purpose of using
a nice ready-made chassis thought.

Would it be unreasonable to put a "6508 Chassis Build" section somewhere on
the Wiki file structure? It seems like there are several of us doing these
builds so it might be useful to be able to share & compare notes. For
example I am thinking of doing a simple-ish front panel PCB to attach to
the Bus Monitor board and give nice blinkenlights, and a cover for the top
with slots to access the connectors on the top of the various cards once my
system is done....

Andrew

Vince Mulhollon
2014-01-15 19:50:51 UTC
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:16:53 PM UTC-6, Andrew Bingham wrote:

> It seems like there are several of us doing these builds so it might be
> useful to be able to share & compare notes.

Could brainstorm here. I'm trying to imagine how to mount a floppy,
assuming I use a floppy. There's always external case ideas and a long
cable.

Also I'm already looking at the specs of the stereotypical "means well"
switchers trying to figure which one to use and how to mount it.

I'm brainstorming based on my crude carpentry skills how I could wrap this
chassis inside something that externally resembles a classic icebox end
table, or maybe a traditional dutch toolbox. Or something else. Wrapping
it in oak to resemble a subwoofer or an end table is too easy. This
obviously interacts with my peculiar ideas about peripherals and power. If
I stacked two identical chassis...

2014-01-15 20:08:32 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Vince,<br>
The "Mean Well" power supplies from Jameco are very appropriate.&nbsp;
They are easy to mount to either the bottom or side of the 6508
chassis, requiring only drilling a couple of small holes for
screws.&nbsp; I would, however, suggest mounting large washers under the
screw heads to spread out the stress on the sheet metal.&nbsp; BTW:&nbsp; I
have used the RD-35A's very successfully.<br>
--John<br>
On 01/15/2014 11:50 AM, Vince Mulhollon wrote:
cite="mid:6de79cf4-a57b-40e6-9629-06c0a22c21cb-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
Andrew Bingham wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
these builds so it might be useful to be able to share &amp;
compare notes.</div>
Could brainstorm here.&nbsp; I'm trying to imagine how to mount a
floppy, assuming I use a floppy.&nbsp; There's always external case
ideas and a long cable.<br>
Also I'm already looking at the specs of the stereotypical
"means well" switchers trying to figure which one to use and
how to mount it.<br>
I'm brainstorming based on my crude carpentry skills how I
could wrap this chassis inside something that externally
resembles a classic icebox end table, or maybe a traditional
dutch toolbox.&nbsp; Or something else.&nbsp; Wrapping it in oak to
resemble a subwoofer or an end table is too easy.&nbsp; This
obviously interacts with my peculiar ideas about peripherals
and power.&nbsp; If I stacked two identical chassis...<br>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<br>

opticpow
2014-01-24 04:02:33 UTC
Hi John, I've been away so sorry if it was mentioned earlier, I could not
see it. Where are these chassis available from?

Thanks,

Wayne.

2014-01-24 07:22:49 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Wayne,<br>
The card cage in question is on eBay frequently.&nbsp; It goes by the
Siemens or Simatic (Simtic, Symtec, Symatic, ???)&nbsp; part number
505-6508.&nbsp; The backplane in the chassis is neither VME nor N8VEM
compliant; hence, the production run of backplanes either for
general use, or specifically to fit this case.<br>
There are a series of these Siemens card cages, and the 8-slot job
will actually fit 12 cards.&nbsp; I don't know what they put in the
unused space.&nbsp; They made 4/8/12&amp;16-slot versions, which
translate into useful 8/12/16-slot ... cases.&nbsp; They hold VME sized
boards (Eurocard 6U), so the N8VEM (3U) cards are only supported on
one edge.&nbsp; The new 6x0x board is the only 6U board currently in the
works.<br>
Some sellers on eBay ask ridiculous prices for these pieces of
scrap.&nbsp; If you decide to get one, wait until someone puts one up for
US $10-30.&nbsp; Shipping runs $15-20.&nbsp; I paid more to have one shipped
to me than the sale price of the surplus product.<br>
--John<br>
Eurocard 3U = 100mm x 160mm&nbsp; (e.g., N8VEM)<br>
Eurocard 6U = 233.35mm x 160mm&nbsp; (e.g., VME)<br>
On 01/23/2014 08:02 PM, opticpow wrote:
cite="mid:baaa8f26-4a90-451b-a60b-28ee2cd4819d-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
mentioned earlier, I could not see it. Where are these chassis
available from?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Wayne.<br>
wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
I was surprised at the interest in the 12-slot backplane for
the Symtec 6508 chassis, or wood-backed mounting.&nbsp; With the
number of people expressing interest in the board, it can be
produced at a slightly lower cost.&nbsp; The following assumes at
least 8 orders:<br>
Board thickness:&nbsp; 1/8", 12 spaces at 0.8" intervals for
96-pin DIN female connectors, drilled to fit the Symtec 6508
chassis.&nbsp; This board is for hobbyist use only.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Board pre-order price:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $35 each<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; USA Shipping:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First
Class&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Priority
Mail<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $4
first board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; $6 one or more
boards<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $1
second board<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; International:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp; $12 first
board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $24 one or more
boards<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<wbr>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; $ 6
second board<br>
Shipping insurance is optional, at additional cost, and is
the responsibility of the buyer.<br>
Please pay by Paypal to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="javascript:" target="_blank"
gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ayXnKQRJ40EJ"
onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;"
onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">&lt;***@gmail.com&gt;</a>

Fabio Battaglia
2014-01-24 08:01:54 UTC
John,
Isn't the uPD7220 graphics board 6U too?
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/43616654/DAN_7220_2.JPG

I've yet to build mine, so I didn't check if it fits in my siemens case.

Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-01-24 18:57:24 UTC
Am 24.01.2014 09:01, schrieb Fabio Battaglia:
> John,
> Isn't the uPD7220 graphics board 6U too?
> http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/43616654/DAN_7220_2.JPG
>
> I've yet to build mine, so I didn't check if it fits in my siemens case.
>
> On Friday, January 24, 2014 8:22:49 AM UTC+1, John Coffman wrote:
>
> [... snip ...]
> There are a series of these Siemens card cages, and the 8-slot job
> will actually fit 12 cards. I don't know what they put in the
> unused space. They made 4/8/12&16-slot versions, which translate
> into useful 8/12/16-slot ... cases. They hold VME sized boards
> (Eurocard 6U), so the N8VEM (3U) cards are only supported on one
> edge. The new 6x0x board is the only 6U board currently in the works.
> [... snip ...]
>
> --
Hi Fabio,

the uPD7720 graphic is not a 6U PCB. ItÂŽs a 3U PCB with an "piggyback".

Best regards

Wolfgang

--
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht
Deutschland / Germany

Phone: +49 4152 93 18 130 NEW!!!

2014-01-24 09:51:40 UTC
Hi John,<br/>
some history: the correct name of the Siemens product family is SIMATIC (Siemens Automation Control). I worked longer then 13 years at Siemens (:-). Your favorite cage comes from the subline SIMATIC-TI. Siemens bought in the middle of the 1990&acute;s the automation branche of Texas Instruments ande.q. the factory in Johnson City / Tennessee (I worked there for a longer time ...).<br/>
You know that I strongly prefferre standards. SIMATIC-TI is 6HE (6U), ECB is strongly recommended as 3HE (3U). If we use this SIMATIC-TI cage we have the problem to fix the 3U-PCB in a mechnaical correct form.<br/>
Siemens itselfs produced in the former time microcomputer systems like SICOMP-IMC in 3U technology for universal automation applications , rail applications, telecommunication, etc. and there where no problems to integrate floppy drives and harddisks. I must look in my stock for documents if there are interests.<br/>
I see a problem for the future that N8VEM is deviding into branches which are nonconform and we as builder are becoming integration problems.<br/>
This is my personal point of view.<br/>
Best regards<br/>
Wolfgang from Germany<br>

<b>Betreff:</b>&nbsp;Re: [N8VEM: 17218] Re: ECB 12-slot Backplane pre-orders
Wayne,<br/>
The card cage in question is on eBay frequently.&nbsp; It goes by the
Siemens or Simatic (Simtic, Symtec, Symatic, ???)&nbsp; part number
505-6508.&nbsp; The backplane in the chassis is neither VME nor N8VEM
compliant; hence, the production run of backplanes either for
general use, or specifically to fit this case.<br/>
There are a series of these Siemens card cages, and the 8-slot job
will actually fit 12 cards.&nbsp; I don&#39;t know what they put in the
unused space.&nbsp; They made 4/8/12&amp;16-slot versions, which
translate into useful 8/12/16-slot ... cases.&nbsp; They hold VME sized
boards (Eurocard 6U), so the N8VEM (3U) cards are only supported on
one edge.&nbsp; The new 6x0x board is the only 6U board currently in the
works.<br/>
Some sellers on eBay ask ridiculous prices for these pieces of
scrap.&nbsp; If you decide to get one, wait until someone puts one up for
US &#36;10-30.&nbsp; Shipping runs &#36;15-20.&nbsp; I paid more to have one shipped
to me than the sale price of the surplus product.<br/>
--John<br/>
Eurocard 3U = 100mm x 160mm&nbsp; (e.g., N8VEM)<br/>
Eurocard 6U = 233.35mm x 160mm&nbsp; (e.g., VME)<br/>
On 01/23/2014 08:02 PM, opticpow wrote:
mentioned earlier, I could not see it. Where are these chassis
available from?<br/>
Thanks,<br/>
Wayne.<br/>
wrote:
I was surprised at the interest in the 12-slot backplane for
the Symtec 6508 chassis, or wood-backed mounting.&nbsp; With the
number of people expressing interest in the board, it can be
produced at a slightly lower cost.&nbsp; The following assumes at
least 8 orders:<br/>
Board thickness:&nbsp; 1/8&quot;, 12 spaces at 0.8&quot; intervals for
96-pin DIN female connectors, drilled to fit the Symtec 6508
chassis.&nbsp; This board is for hobbyist use only.<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Board pre-order price:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36;35 each<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; USA Shipping:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First
Class&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Priority
Mail<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36;4
first board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &#36;6 one or more
boards<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36;1
second board<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; International:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36;12 first
board&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36;24 one or more
boards<br/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &#36; 6
Please pay by Paypal to <a>&lt;joh...-***@public.gmane.org&gt;</a>
send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org" target="_parent">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br/>