[N8VEM: 18129] N8-2312 text-based VGA card (video only)
Frank Vanderydt
2014-05-29 08:21:24 UTC
Hi there,

Is it possible to use the onboard PS2 connector for keyboard/mouse and only
add a new 800x600 compatible VGA text based only video controller ?
I know complex question, For example use propio but only the video with
adding another set of ps2 connectors.

But i want the design to keep compact and don't want to add a lot of board
to it.

The n8 is complete already like it is, but i don't have a composite monitor.

I don't have much experience in asm, but i'm willing to learn.

Thanks in advance,

Frank
Max Scane
2014-05-29 09:15:36 UTC
Hi Frank,

Congratulations on completing your N8 that is quite an achievement.

Almost any video option is possible as the N8 has an ECB interface. You
could connect any one of the video cards available. I would probably use
the Prop IO as it is pretty much self contained.

However, you are probably going to need to customise the BIOS to add driver
code for the display and keyboard.

The N8 keyboard interface is pretty basic and relies on bit banging signals
whereas the Prop IO does it in firmware which would be much easier to adapt.

Perhaps another option would be to use the Prop IO in standalone mode and
turn it into a VDU by connecting the serial port to the N8. I'm not sure
if there is firmware for that as yet though.

Either way, it is time to start getting your hands dirty with some assembly
language.

I would suggest you first master the build process of your selected BIOS
and make a few small mods to understand the build process etc. Perhaps
connect the video board to the bus and write a user program to exercise the
card.

Once you have that working you can start building your new driver.

Cheers!

Max
Wayne Warthen
2014-05-29 13:09:59 UTC
In theory, RomWBW will support PropIO or ParPortProp connected to the N8. Never actually tested it though.

Wayne