[N8VEM: 19130] SBC188 BIOS044 question
Richard Cini
2014-12-23 21:49:02 UTC
John ‹

I just ³upgraded² to the 044 version of the ROM (from 043) and noticed that
now the system memory count in the POST shows 544k (or sometimes 576k)
rather than 640k. That¹s a difference of 64k or 96k, depending.

Any ideas why this might be? The 4MEM board was untouched.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
2014-12-24 01:36:56 UTC
I don't know offhand. What clock speed? 16Mhz is the fastest I've ever
been able to run the 4MEM with a 12ns memory mapping chip. 16Mhz is its
limit on the Mark IV, also. 16.257Mhz will not work on Mark IV.

--John
John —
I just “upgraded” to the 044 version of the ROM (from 043) and noticed
that now the system memory count in the POST shows 544k (or sometimes 576k)
rather than 640k. That’s a difference of 64k or 96k, depending.
Richard Cini
2014-12-24 03:22:10 UTC
John ‹

It¹s a 16MHz clock and a ­25 memory mapping chip. This configuration has
worked perfectly since the CPU board (v.2-007) and 4MEM were built last
year. I did swap out the two 512k chips in U0/U1 but that had no impact. The
chip select chip is an ACT138 per the schematic.

Rich

2014-12-24 04:57:45 UTC
Rich,

-044 represented a major re-write of the disk-dispatch codes. Memory /
startup code should be the same, With that ROM, Wyse version, I get 640K
reported okay. I presume you are using the ANSI version, or, perhaps, the
CVDU version. Why a different load should affect anything, I do not know..

AFAIK, wait state jumpers on the 4MEM have never had any effect, possibly
because most of the memory select lines in the 80C188 are programmed to
ignore external WAIT.

If slowing the clock from 16mhz to 12/14mhz fixes the problem, then slower
components may be to blame. I would install faster components (LS->ALS, or
F) in the following locations: 32Kmem, U10 (LS30), U24 (LS14). If a
slower clock on the CPU board changes nothing, then there may be a BDA
clobber going on in the ANSI/CVDU version of the ROM.

Don't touch the ACT138. It is a fast chip, and it MUST be CMOS for battery
backup to work.

Let me know how that clock trial works.

BTW: 4MEM may be working on the timing edge. It runs like a charm on the
Mark IV at 16mhz, but fails miserably at 16.257mhz. Anything 16.00000 or
below seems to be okay.

--John
John —
It’s a 16MHz clock and a –25 memory mapping chip. This configuration has
Richard Cini
2014-12-24 13:14:33 UTC
Thanks John. I'll drop an 8mhz osc in today and see what happens (I don't have a 12 I don't think). I'm using the ANSI rom right from the distribution archive.

Out of curiosity, if the board is now only operating marginally, would the EMM4MEM driver fail to load? Mine loads fine and doesn't report any errors.

Sent from my iPhone
[...]
It’s a 16MHz clock and a –25 memory mapping chip. This configuration has worked perfectly since the CPU board (v.2-007) and 4MEM were built last year. I did swap out the two 512k chips in U0/U1 but that had no impact. The chip select chip is an ACT138 per the schematic.
Rich
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM
I don't know offhand. What clock speed? 16Mhz is the fastest I've ever been able to run the 4MEM with a 12ns memory mapping chip. 16Mhz is its limit on the Mark IV, also. 16.257Mhz will not work on Mark IV.
--John
John —
I just “upgraded” to the 044 version of the ROM (from 043) and noticed that now the system memory count in the POST shows 544k (or sometimes 576k) rather than 640k. That’s a difference of 64k or 96k, depending.
Richard Cini
2014-12-24 13:36:38 UTC
As a follow-up, I slowed the clock to 9MHz using an 18.432MHz oscillator I
had handy. There was no change in the board performance. I also checked
CONFIG.SYS and I had the EMM driver installed but not the RAM drive driver,
so I installed that. The MS-RAMDRIVE driver barfs, indicating that the EMM
driver isn¹t loaded. So EMM4MEM that comes with the distribution is not

I¹ll see if I have the faster glue logic in-stock. The 32k chip I know that
I do not have.

Rich

2014-12-24 14:17:20 UTC
Rich,

If the slower clock speed did not fix the problem, then this sounds more
like a software problem. The faster components are not going to fix this
one.

9mhz is plenty slow enough for what you have stuffed.

Now I have to see if I can reproduce the problem. You are using the ANSI
version of the BIOS?

--John
Post by Richard Cini
As a follow-up, I slowed the clock to 9MHz using an 18.432MHz oscillator I
had handy. There was no change in the board performance. I also checked
CONFIG.SYS and I had the EMM driver installed but not the RAM drive driver,
so I installed that. The MS-RAMDRIVE driver barfs, indicating that the EMM
driver isn’t loaded. So EMM4MEM that comes with the distribution is not
I’ll see if I have the faster glue logic in-stock. The 32k chip I know
that I do not have.
Rich
Richard Cini
2014-12-24 14:23:02 UTC
John ‹

ANSI. Right from the ZIP archive. I do have an operational CVDU board so if
needed I could try that version/board combo.

Rich

From: John Coffman <***@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19136] SBC188 BIOS044 question

Rich,

If the slower clock speed did not fix the problem, then this sounds more
like a software problem. The faster components are not going to fix this
one.

9mhz is plenty slow enough for what you have stuffed.

Now I have to see if I can reproduce the problem. You are using the ANSI
version of the BIOS?

--John
As a follow-up, I slowed the clock to 9MHz using an 18.432MHz oscillator I had
handy. There was no change in the board performance. I also checked CONFIG.SYS
and I had the EMM driver installed but not the RAM drive driver, so I
installed that. The MS-RAMDRIVE driver barfs, indicating that the EMM driver
isn¹t loaded. So EMM4MEM that comes with the distribution is not loading or at
least not reporting any errors.
2014-12-24 17:46:56 UTC
Rich,

I just got done running the ANSI version of 044. Finds 640K of RAM; passes
the memory test. The 9000:0 and 8000:0 pages are 4MEM memory.

Two additional things to try:
1. See if 043 has the same trouble sizing RAM. Perhaps you have done
this already.
2. Swap 4MEM chip U0 with U7, postulating that perhaps it has gone bad.

Given that I cannot see the problem from this end, I'm beginning to run out
of ideas. I'm beginning to think a stringent test of the entire 4MEM
memory is in order. The P.O.S.T. of memory on the SBC-188 board caught a
bad RAM chip once.