[N8VEM: 19618] Project Folder, New?
Paul Birkel
2015-05-21 19:23:48 UTC
Folks;

Despite the recent gated-community change on PBworks, this is still a great
place ... and maillist ... for many things micro-computer'ish.

Clearly the scope has grown beyond strict adherence to the N8VEM SBC
itself, what with all sorts of other form-factors and microCPU choices --
some of which bear limited/no relation to the EuroCard Bus.

My question is whether it would be considered to be out-of-order to add a
project-folder (and perhaps a bit of list-chatter) for folks
re-implementing the DEC PDP-8/I CPU in a single-board, SSI/MSI TTL, design
that was developed in support of a college-level lab-based course in
digital design by David Winkel and Franklin Prosser in the late 70's
(sample text:
http://www.amazon.com/The-art-digital-design-introduction/dp/0130466077)?
I realize that it's a bit *old* compared to the usual fare here, but still
in just about the right time/technology period, IMO.

There's already an active thread on VCF (
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?46818-Build-your-own-PDP-8I-book)
as one hardy soul tries to wire-wrap himself to a functional system
(12-bit, 4K-word) with a TTY-interface by following original lab
materials. Blinken lights and switches, too.

I'd expect the chatter to stay there, but it would be nice to expose some
of those folks to technology-here, and vice versa? Anyway, ...

I have original design files, including wire-lists, that are a bit too big
to keep mailing around, and I was thinking that perhaps it would be OK to
host them amongst all of the other interesting designs that have been
cropping up here in recent years and then invite "those folks over there"
to get accounts on PBWorks and sign up to the maillist here..

Comments, flames, send-in-the-bouncers :->?

Thank you for your consideration,

paul
Kip Koon
2015-05-22 05:22:21 UTC
Hi Paul,

Build my very own PDP 8/I? Absolutely! I love it! Come on!

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Alan Jones
2015-05-23 11:47:43 UTC
Hi Paul,

I think what you propose is a good idea.

You have my vote for what that is worth! J

It sounds like a great project.

Al, N8WQ

Paul Birkel
2015-05-31 08:04:39 UTC
As there has been plenty of other list-activity, two approvals, and no
objections, I have applied the "silence implies consent rule". See:

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=LD12%20PDP-8%2FI

The current associated VCF thread is here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?47755-Build-your-own-PDP-8I-Part-2

Marty appears to be steadily approaching the point of initial-success.

Thank you for your forbearance!

paul
Post by Kip Koon
Hi Paul,
I think what you propose is a good idea.
You have my vote for what that is worth! J
It sounds like a great project.
Al, N8WQ
Of *Paul Birkel
oscarv
2015-05-31 08:50:09 UTC
Paul,

Converting Marty's wire-wrapped project to a PCB is a great idea!

If you want I can contribute the cosmetic bit - a PDP-8/I acrylic front
panel and the front panel PCB behind it. I'm making the acrylics anyway for
my Pi-based PDP-8/I replica (see here
<http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!pidp-8-overview/c252u> for
details on that one). Running an extra bunch of (the same or slightly
modified) acrylics is easy.

Kind regards,

Oscar.
Paul Birkel
2015-05-31 10:02:50 UTC
I've been thinking about something like that, but have wanted to see how
your front-panel works in practice (June approaches!) as well as seeing
what we could do about proper spring-return switches (the LD12 design uses
pushbuttons). Also, as you can see from Marty's photo and the LOGIC DESIGN
original front panel, there are some differences/enhancements (e.g., M & IR
readouts vs. MQ) in how the user interface works to support the trainer
functionality. It would be nice to have an Oscar-like front panel
augmented (possibly using a pendant-like subsidiary display/interface) to
support the full set of controls -- the latter being optional.

Some thoughts to mull over. Thanks for the offer :->.

Waiting to get my hands on a live PiDP-8!
oscarv
2015-05-31 15:07:55 UTC
Paul,
Post by Paul Birkel
(June approaches!)
It does... but the goal is mid-July, not June. Luckily :)
Post by Paul Birkel
Also, as you can see from Marty's photo and the LOGIC DESIGN original
front panel, there are some differences/enhancements
Ah - now I see... should have looked more closely to what it really is!
It's a very different beast actually.
Post by Paul Birkel
Waiting to get my hands on a live PiDP-8!
Waiting for all the remaining parts to arrive! And the manufacturer needs
to redo the test acrylic, his colours were off... But it's all good fun :)

Kind regards,

Oscar.