[N8VEM: 17486] SBC V2 Reset circuit design question
neilbradley
2014-03-04 23:31:54 UTC
I've noticed that the SBC V2's reset circuit seems... wonky? And by 'wonky'
I mean sometimes when I hit the reset button, sometimes I get double and
even triple resets, and sometimes the reset button doesn't take at all if I
hit it too fast. Most of the time the reset button works just fine, however.

I'm curious - why was the design choice made to go with a standalone reset
circuit instead of something like a DS1811 reset IC? Not enough current
somehow or some other electrical issue that I'm not internalizing?

-->Neil

2014-03-05 01:58:37 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
On 03/04/2014 03:31 PM, neilbradley wrote:
cite="mid:88d18045-d8f8-4c48-b9b1-7fe1267a26d5-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
wonky? And by 'wonky' I mean sometimes when I hit the reset
button, sometimes I get double and even triple resets, and
sometimes the reset button doesn't take at all if I hit it too
fast.</div>
Mechanical switches bounce.&nbsp; That is, a single push can result in
several make/break/make cycles.<br>
cite="mid:88d18045-d8f8-4c48-b9b1-7fe1267a26d5-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
however.</div>
standalone reset circuit instead of something like a DS1811
reset IC?</div>
DS1812 = more board space.&nbsp; Add a socket.&nbsp; = higher cost.&nbsp; RC =
simplicity + low cost.<br>
cite="mid:88d18045-d8f8-4c48-b9b1-7fe1267a26d5-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
that I'm not internalizing?</div>
The RC circuit <u>must</u> drive an input with hysteresis.&nbsp; 74LS14
The biggest problem I've ever seen with this type of reset circuit
is a capacitor that is way less than its marked value.&nbsp; A flaky
switch could be a problem, too.<br>
--John<br>
BTW:&nbsp; From my experience with the Mini-M68K, I noticed that Motorola
goes to great pains to specify the Reset input timing to the 68000
in terms of number of clock cycles.&nbsp; I've seen boards with hairy
circuits to meet these timing specs.&nbsp; On the Mini-M68K board, I used
the same reset circuit, but R=10K, and C=47uF.&nbsp; These values meet
the 68000's timing requirements with a reset delay of about 5X that
of the SBC v1/v2.&nbsp; Signal rise and fall times are handled with a
chip with a Schmidt-trigger input:&nbsp; 74LS14.&nbsp; Simplicity is bliss.<br>
cite="mid:88d18045-d8f8-4c48-b9b1-7fe1267a26d5-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br />
neilbradley
2014-03-05 07:00:36 UTC
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:58:37 PM UTC-8, John Coffman wrote:

> On 03/04/2014 03:31 PM, neilbradley wrote:
>
> I've noticed that the SBC V2's reset circuit seems... wonky? And by
> 'wonky' I mean sometimes when I hit the reset button, sometimes I get
> double and even triple resets, and sometimes the reset button doesn't take
> at all if I hit it too fast
>

> Mechanical switches bounce. That is, a single push can result in several
> make/break/make cycles.
>
> Most of the time the reset button works just fine, however.
>
> I'm curious - why was the design choice made to go with a standalone reset
> circuit instead of something like a DS1811 reset IC?
>

> DS1812 = more board space. Add a socket. = higher cost. RC = simplicity
> + low cost.
>
> Not enough current somehow or some other electrical issue that I'm not
> internalizing?
>

> The RC circuit *must* drive an input with hysteresis. 74LS14 *must* be
> used. Other logic families cause trouble.
>
> The biggest problem I've ever seen with this type of reset circuit is a
> capacitor that is way less than its marked value. A flaky switch could be
> a problem, too.
>
> --John

BTW: From my experience with the Mini-M68K, I noticed that Motorola goes
to great pains to specify the Reset input timing to the 68000 in terms of
number of clock cycles. I've seen boards with hairy circuits to meet these
timing specs. On the Mini-M68K board, I used the same reset circuit, but
R=10K, and C=47uF. These values meet the 68000's timing requirements with
a reset delay of about 5X that of the SBC v1/v2. Signal rise and fall
times are handled with a chip with a Schmidt-trigger input: 74LS14.
Simplicity is bliss.

I'm a bit confused... the DS1811 is a reset IC which is in a TO-92 case
which takes considerably less of a footprint than the RC circuit and the
LS14 logic and needs no external circuitry. The D1811 gives a guaranteed
150ms pulse and even senses external (button based) resets. With the
circuit on the SBC V2, if I thwack the reset button repeatedly, sometimes I
get double resets, and other times the SBC V2 hangs completely. Most of the
time it resets properly. My own Z80 board never has this issue when using a
DS1811. Insofar as cost goes, they are 46 cents via Digikey. Anyway,
something to consider for the future. I've never found RC reset circuits to
work very well. Not sure how it behaves in the 68K world, but I've cleared
up many reset problems in the pinball machines and video games in the
arcade I run in 6809, 6800, 6502, and Z80 games simply by replacing their
reset circuits with a DS1811/12.

2014-03-05 08:06:15 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
It looks to me that the DS1811 performs only the power-on reset.&nbsp;
Additional circuitry would be needed to add the reset button
function.&nbsp; Availability of this chip is limited to just a few
commercial suppliers who prefer to sell in large quantities.<br>
It all comes down to personal preference.<br>
--John<br>
On 03/04/2014 11:00 PM, neilbradley wrote:
cite="mid:dcd8f54e-2ea1-48cb-b671-667c6b90d0eb-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
Coffman wrote:
0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,
204);">
neilbradley wrote:
seems... wonky? And by 'wonky' I mean sometimes when I
hit the reset button, sometimes I get double and even
triple resets, and sometimes the reset button doesn't
take at all if I hit it too fast</div>
Mechanical switches bounce.&nbsp; That is, a single push can
result in several make/break/make cycles.<br>
however.</div>
with a standalone reset circuit instead of something
like a DS1811 reset IC?</div>
DS1812 = more board space.&nbsp; Add a socket.&nbsp; = higher cost.&nbsp;
RC = simplicity + low cost.<br>
electrical issue that I'm not internalizing?</div>
The RC circuit <u>must</u> drive an input with hysteresis.&nbsp;
74LS14 <u>must</u> be used.&nbsp; Other logic families cause
trouble.&nbsp; <br>
The biggest problem I've ever seen with this type of reset
circuit is a capacitor that is way less than its marked
value.&nbsp; A flaky switch could be a problem, too.<br>
--John<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </div>
Motorola goes to great pains to specify the Reset input timing
to the 68000 in terms of number of clock cycles.&nbsp; I've seen
boards with hairy circuits to meet these timing specs.&nbsp; On the
Mini-M68K board, I used the same reset circuit, but R=10K, and
C=47uF.&nbsp; These values meet the 68000's timing requirements
with a reset delay of about 5X that of the SBC v1/v2.&nbsp; Signal
rise and fall times are handled with a chip with a
Schmidt-trigger input:&nbsp; 74LS14.&nbsp; Simplicity is bliss.<br>
I'm a bit confused... the DS1811 is a reset IC which is in a
TO-92 case which takes considerably less of a footprint than
the RC circuit and the LS14 logic and needs no external
circuitry.&nbsp;The D1811&nbsp;gives a guaranteed 150ms pulse and even
senses external (button based) resets. With the circuit on the
SBC V2, if I thwack the reset button repeatedly, sometimes I
get double resets, and other times the SBC V2 hangs
completely.&nbsp;Most of the time it resets properly. My own Z80
board never has this issue when using a DS1811. Insofar as
cost goes, they are 46 cents via Digikey. Anyway, something to
consider for the future. I've never found RC reset circuits to
work very well. Not sure how it behaves in the 68K world, but
I've cleared up many reset problems in the pinball machines
and video games in the arcade I run in 6809, 6800, 6502, and
Z80 games simply by replacing their reset circuits with a
DS1811/12.</div>

neilbradley
2014-03-05 08:50:09 UTC
No additional circuitry needed. You just add a button that grounds the
!RESET line and it works perfectly. It'll ensure !RESET is asserted for at
least 150ms after the reset button is released. Additionally, it detects
brownout conditions and asserts reset as well. Quite the useful piece of
hardware. Digikey, Mouser, and Arrow all sell the part in single units, so
I'm not sure how you arrive at the chip only being limited to just a few
commercial suppliers who prefer to sell in large quantities. It's a cheap,
single TO-92 reset/brownout, that, in my experience is infallible across
many types of CPUs. I'd look into it.

-->Neil

2014-03-05 08:46:00 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
RE:&nbsp; known reset problems and solutions<br>
Neil raised the question about the N8VEM reset circuit, a 10K
resistor and a 10uF capacitor.&nbsp; This combination yields an RC time
constant of 100ms.&nbsp; This seems to be long enough for the Z80 and
Z180 chips.&nbsp; On the Mini-68K, the capacitor is 47uF, yielding the
longer time constant of 470ms, which is required by the 68000 series
chips.<br>
1.&nbsp; If the problem is more evident at power-on, then the power
supply may be taking longer to stabilize than others.&nbsp; Without
removing the soldered capacitor, try adding 10uf, or even 22uf, in
parallel on the bottom of the board.&nbsp; This can be tried out with
minimal soldering headaches.&nbsp; Just be careful to observe polarity.<br>
2.&nbsp; If reset seems flaky at times, does the RC circuit drive LS-TTL
circuitry?&nbsp; If the answer is NO, then switch to LS.&nbsp; Other chip
families are close to compatible, but not entirely.&nbsp; Other chip
families do not have Schmidt trigger inputs, which are required with
the slow rise-time of the RC circuit.&nbsp; CMOS circuits, and 74LS04
gates, do not have hysteresis on their inputs.<br>
3.&nbsp; Does the pushbutton switch make good contact; i.e., sufficiently
low impedance to rapidly discharge the 10uF capacitor.&nbsp; Through 10
ohms, the RC time constant is 0.1ms, pretty fast in human terms.&nbsp;
But if there is contact resistance due to corrosion inside the
switch, the added resistance may increase the discharge time.&nbsp; One
can try to nail down the problem with a second switch wired in
parallel to the 2-pin reset connector.<br>
Other bootstrap issues:<br>
4.&nbsp; On the N8 and SBC v2, the battery backup for the RAM must be in
place.&nbsp; If you don't use battery backup, then BOTH backup power
inputs to the DS1210 must be grounded.&nbsp; If left open, the DS1210
will make your RAM unusable.&nbsp; If you don't have a DS1210 yet, then
you may bypass it by shorting pins 1-8, and 5-6 to pass power and
chip-select through to the RAM.<br>
5.&nbsp; There seems to be some question about whether the DS1302 must be
present, and what is the result if it is not.&nbsp; I know it must be
present on the SBC-188; and it will be required on the Mark IV.&nbsp;
However, I believe there are no ROM images at this time for the SBC
v1/v2 which required the RTC or the NVRAM of the DS1302.&nbsp; Please
chime in and correct me if I am wrong on this one.<br>
The above are some of the problems and solutions that I remember
from the last few months on the forum.&nbsp; Please add any more you may
be aware of.<br>
--John<br>

neilbradley
2014-03-05 08:54:24 UTC
Thanks for the advice on the bootstrap issues - I haven't tried it yet but
that's first on my list. I don't have a battery connected, so yeah, makes
sense why it'd pig up

Regarding the reset, I'm probably going to lash up a DS1811 and see how it
works (once I get the board up and completely going, that is ;-) ).

Thanks very much for the assistance, John! I appreciate it.

-->Neil

2014-03-05 10:25:44 UTC
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-03-05 20:47:49 UTC
Hi John,

As far as I know, the 74HC14 has Schmitt inputs, and I use it without
issues as U7 on my fully CMOS N8VEM.

Kind regards,
picmaster

Joachim Gaßler
2014-03-05 20:58:44 UTC
Am 05.03.2014 21:47, schrieb Nikolay Dimitrov:
> Hi John,
>
> As far as I know, the 74HC14 has Schmitt inputs, and I use it without
> issues as U7 on my fully CMOS N8VEM.

Yes, HC14 has hysteresis inputs, but their threshold voltages differ
from the LS14. This may lead to a different timing.

Joe
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-03-05 22:13:26 UTC
Ahh, I see. Completely agree with this clarification. My point is that
for the purpose of Z80 reset circuit, HC14 will behave adequately.

Kind regards,
picmaster

2014-03-06 02:04:47 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Nikolay,<br>
Your comment sent me to a number of data sheets:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; With hysteresis; i.e., Schmidt trigger inputs:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 74LS14, 74ALS14, 74HC14 (National), 74HCT14, 74F14
(Motorola)<br>
(It looks like the spirit of the -14 was maintained through many
chip families!)<br>
Bus drivers/receivers like the 74LS240, -244, -245 have hysteresis
in the LS versions, but do not in other series.&nbsp; This fact bit one
builder on the Mark IV board because the reset RC drives an LS240,
not an LS14.&nbsp; HCT logic substitution gave weird results.&nbsp; LS fixed
the problem.<br>
It is good to know that substitutions for a LS14 are possible.<br>
Thanks for the info,<br>
&nbsp; --John<br>

Joachim Gaßler
2014-03-06 05:51:36 UTC
Am 06.03.2014 03:04, schrieb John Coffman:

> With hysteresis; i.e., Schmidt trigger inputs:
>
> 74LS14, 74ALS14, 74HC14 (National), 74HCT14, 74F14 (Motorola)
>
> (It looks like the spirit of the -14 was maintained through many chip
> families!)

well, it is *this* peculiarity which discriminates between a 'XX14 and a
'XX04.

Regards Joe

Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-03-06 18:51:58 UTC
Hi John,

That's correct. I only said this for HC14 and never generalized about
all HCMOS circuits. I also saw like you that the HCMOS bus buffers are
without hysteresis and I'm wondering how this will work with the ECB
(I'll find out some day when I finish any of my add-on boards).

Kind regards,
picmaster

2014-03-06 22:54:05 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
I have heard of success with N8VEM bus with HCT logic bus
drivers/receivers.&nbsp; The N8VEM bus seems to be very noise and signal
bounce-free, at least up to the 8-slot backplane.&nbsp; We'll have to see
if the 12-slot backplane is as trouble-free.<br>
Personally, I go with the LS-logic, after S-100 experiences where
the order in which boards are plugged in makes the system work or
not.&nbsp; This with a backplane with active termination.&nbsp; The S-100
experience makes me very wary.<br>
--John<br>
On 03/06/2014 10:51 AM, Nikolay Dimitrov wrote:
http-equiv="Content-Type">
That's correct. I only said this for HC14 and never generalized
about all HCMOS circuits. I also saw like you that the HCMOS bus
buffers are without hysteresis and I'm wondering how this will
work with the ECB (I'll find out some day when I finish any of
my add-on boards).<br>
Kind regards,<br>
picmaster<br>
On 3/6/2014 4:04 AM, John Coffman wrote:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Nikolay,<br>
Your comment sent me to a number of data sheets:<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; With hysteresis; i.e., Schmidt trigger inputs:<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; 74LS14, 74ALS14, 74HC14 (National), 74HCT14, 74F14
(Motorola)<br>
(It looks like the spirit of the -14 was maintained through many
chip families!)<br>
Bus drivers/receivers like the 74LS240, -244, -245 have
hysteresis in the LS versions, but do not in other series.&Acirc;&nbsp;
This fact bit one builder on the Mark IV board because the reset
RC drives an LS240, not an LS14.&Acirc;&nbsp; HCT logic substitution gave
weird results.&Acirc;&nbsp; LS fixed the problem.<br>
It is good to know that substitutions for a LS14 are possible.<br>
Thanks for the info,<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp; --John<br>
On 03/05/2014 12:47 PM, Nikolay Dimitrov wrote:
John, <br>
As far as I know, the 74HC14 has Schmitt inputs, and I use it
without issues as U7 on my fully CMOS N8VEM. <br>
Kind regards, <br>
picmaster <br>
On 3/5/2014 10:46 AM, John Coffman wrote: <br>
not have hysteresis on their inputs. <br>
-- <br>
Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"

Andrew Lynch
2014-03-10 00:18:40 UTC
Hi! The SBC V2 KiCAD EDA files are posted so if there is a desire for an
SBC V3 to incorporate the numerous design improvements this might be a good
opportunity. I recall several builders who would like to correct some of
the idiosyncrasies like not quite Kontron reset lines and misaligned DIN
41612 placement. Also add some space along the sides of the PCB for rails,
etc. This would be a great time to revitalize the board and roll in
improvements.

An improved reset circuit may actually need less PCB space with careful
parts selection. The present reset circuit is extremely old-school and kind
of touchy. It worked fine back in the day but is rather out of date. It is
kind of like a lime green leisure suit. It is neat after a fashion but very
dated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

[...]

BTW: From my experience with the Mini-M68K, I noticed that Motorola goes to

Richard Cini
2014-03-10 00:27:13 UTC
All ‹

I use the DS1813-5 (4.65v) on my 6502 SBC and it works great. Actually, it
can be used as a simple switch debouncer, although the pulse length is kind
of long (100ms+). I use it for an NMI ³panic button² in addition to a
regular reset button. All this in a TO92 caseÅ

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers

Vince Mulhollon
2014-03-05 14:36:48 UTC
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:31:54 PM UTC-6, neilbradley wrote:

> instead of something like a DS1811 reset IC

Its works, so not much to fix. So this would be right up there with modify
the silk screen to emphasize the board won't boot until sram backup power
is connected, which seems to bite almost everybody precisely one time.

Having said that, I pulled the data sheet anyway and started thinking about
retrofitting an experiment.

On the DS1811 pin 1 would go to the pin 2 of the P6 reset header and pin 3
to the pin 1 of the same header so thats /rst input and gnd. pin 2 would
go to the hot side of R2. Pin 1 would also have to connect to where pin 4
of U7 aka /RST used to connect, right? Its only a TO-92 package, and a
pretty simple ckt, so thats about it.

Pull out R1, R2, C2, D2 ?

Unfortunately can't pull out U7, although half of it is taken up by the
reset ckt, one of the remaining inverters is part of the memory decode
logic. So you'd have to bend pin 4 out of the chip and insert pin 1 of the
DS1811 in its place.

I think there might be a way to eliminate the inverter in the memory decode
but I'm not sure. Might be able to clear a lot of board real estate by
replacing all those components and the inverter with a single TO-92 PoR
chip. Of course when that chip is discontinued its going to be a pain. On
the other hand PoR is not exactly an exotic concept so long after the 1811
is history, someone will be making a PoR in a TO-92.

The ideal solution of "just solder in kit of parts A or kit of parts B"
doesn't seem feasible? Or is it? And adding a 3pin header to select U7
pin 4 or the new DS1811 pin 1 will merely mean new guys trying to
troubleshoot will invariably end up selecting the wrong 3pin header for the
components wired.

Now adding a steering diode and using a DS1812 instead and inserting in
between the two inverters of the existing reset ckt would enable both to
work simultaneously I think?

Its an interesting puzzle and not quite as simple as "just solder one in
place"

One interesting solution to avoid single sourced specialty chips would be
to find a way to dispose of the entire inverter chip and replace the works
with a simple 555. I suspect the 555 will be in production a couple more
years LOL. Net gain of board real estate, better debouncing, no custom
specialized chips. But is a simple 555 ckt well behaved on power on?

Vince Mulhollon
2014-03-07 14:12:51 UTC
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:36:48 AM UTC-6, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> One interesting solution to avoid single sourced specialty chips would be
> to find a way to dispose of the entire inverter chip and replace the works
> with a simple 555. I suspect the 555 will be in production a couple more
> years LOL. Net gain of board real estate, better debouncing, no custom
> specialized chips. But is a simple 555 ckt well behaved on power on?

I found the reference I was thinking of. The Wilcox 68000 book page 174
sect 9.1.3. Its claimed to work pretty well. The dual trace o-scope
figure 9.10 looks fantastic as a PoR and a debounced reset ckt. Cool.

A 555, 2 resistors, 3 caps. Nothing obscure.

Unfortunately a 555 is a 8-pin DIP so not as much saved board space as
using a TO-92 packaged "magic chip"

Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-03-07 19:09:18 UTC
Hi Vince,

Do you know whether the 555 timer will generate the required reset pulse
if Vcc raises very slowly, lets say for 5s from 0V to 5V?

Regards,
picmaster

Vince Mulhollon
2014-03-07 22:29:04 UTC
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Nikolay Dimitrov <picmaster-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Do you know whether the 555 timer will generate the required reset pulse
> if Vcc raises very slowly, lets say for 5s from 0V to 5V?

Suspect not. Thats a long time. The graph demonstrating the ckt showed a
50 or so ms risetime for the power supply, so thats two orders of magnitude
slower.

Intuitively as long as the power rises faster than the RC constant, the RC
will not "catch up" so a very slow ramp like one second or more might not
behave well because it could catch up.

Perhaps, you could play a game of putting series dropping diodes in the 555
power lead, so the supply voltage will have to reach "TTL safe" before the
timer can even begin. That might work.