[N8VEM: 20131] Mini-68k question about ZIF socket for the flash IC.
Martin Heermance
2015-09-21 23:33:54 UTC
I'm building a mini-68k and I'd like to use a ZIF socket for the flash chip. The space on the board is a bit tight and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one that fits well? Obviously there's the room on the board as well as height of the socket which might touch another board in the backplane.
Richard Cini
2015-09-21 23:39:10 UTC
Sometimes I use a second socket inserted into the first, then a regular or low-profile ZIF. That way, the second socket will elevate the ZIF above some of the surrounding components. I'd have to look at the board to see if that would work. Digi-Key has a decent selection but I've gotten them on eBay as well (especially odd sizes that are expensive).

Sent from my iPhone
Tom Lafleur
2015-09-21 23:48:34 UTC
I use machine pin socket for all similar devices.

For a zip socket, I solder it to the top of a 2nd machine socket and then plug this into the board. Works well. Cheap too

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Martin Heermance
2015-09-22 01:19:03 UTC
Thanks. Interesting ideas about using a second socket to elevate the ZIF socket. It also means that you can start out without a ZIF socket and add one, or try the idea of soldering the flash chip to aa second socket.
2015-09-22 02:39:16 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Martin,<br>
The second double-wipe socket is used to elevate the ZIF socket
above other components.<br>
However, all ZIF sockets are not created equal.&nbsp; Certain 3M sockets,
although very good sockets, have pins that are shaped in such a way
that the socket is impossible to plug into a double-wipe socket.&nbsp;
The pins are flat, but oriented 90 degrees from what one would
want.&nbsp; They just plain don't fit.<br>
I have had the best luck with the ARIES sockets, and have
recommended them to others.&nbsp; They have small round pins that seat
very firmly.<br>
--John<br>
On 09/21/2015 06:19 PM, Martin Heermance wrote:
cite="mid:44153df5-1bfc-4e68-a716-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Thanks. Interesting ideas about using a second socket to elevate the ZIF socket. It also means that you can start out without a ZIF socket and add one, or try the idea of soldering the flash chip to aa second socket.

</pre>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Tom Lafleur
2015-09-22 04:22:10 UTC
That's why I solder them to a machine pin socket base. Works very well.

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

On Sep 21, 2015, at 7:39 PM, John Coffman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Martin,

The second double-wipe socket is used to elevate the ZIF socket above other components.

However, all ZIF sockets are not created equal. Certain 3M sockets, although very good sockets, have pins that are shaped in such a way that the socket is impossible to plug into a double-wipe socket. The pins are flat, but oriented 90 degrees from what one would want. They just plain don't fit.

I have had the best luck with the ARIES sockets, and have recommended them to others. They have small round pins that seat very firmly.

--John
Tom Lafleur
2015-09-22 09:48:19 UTC
I have used the 2nd socket as a pin saver on flash devices, but in this case I do not solder the chip to the 2nd socket. But I do solder the zif socket to the top of the 2nd machine socket....

i~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~i

Tom Lafleur
(858) 759-9692
Richard Cini

Martin Heermance
2015-09-22 16:34:21 UTC
Thanks for the suggestions and part numbers.

A related question about the other IC sockets. Do people prefer the machine pin style sockets or the cheaper dual wipe style? I used machine pin sockets on my 6502 build and they hold the IC securely, but it's a struggle getting the IC in or out.
Tom Lafleur
2015-09-22 16:38:32 UTC
I use machine sockets only on processor, flash, rom's, display.... and high
cost chips and chip that are remove often..

dual wipes everywhere else...

this works well for me...

Richard Cini
2015-09-22 10:14:23 UTC
Exactly. I also use this trick on some dense CompuPro S100 memory boards like the RAM 16, 17, and 22.

Sent from my iPhone
William R Sowerbutts
2015-09-22 09:24:11 UTC
Martin

Here are the specific parts I used on my KISS-68030 board:

- 1 x ZIF socket: 3M 232-1285-00-0602J (Mouser part 517-232-1285-00)
- 2 x Dual wipe socket: 3M 4832-6000-CP (Mouser part 517-4832-6000-CP)

I solder one dual wipe socket to the PCB. I then insert the ZIF socket into a
second dual wipe socket, and plug that into the first dual-wipe on the PCB.

The stack of two sockets gives enough height to clear the surrounding
components including ICs in adjacent sockets. The stack is tall -- enough to
interfere with the next slot along on the backplane which must therefore be
left unoccupied.

The pins on the ZIF are quite wide and so probably deform the receptacles on
the dual-wipe socket, but the legs of the dual-wipe socket are thin enough to
fit into another dual-wipe socket without damage. So the socket soldered to
the board is not damaged and you can eventually replace the stack with a
regular flash ROM IC.

I find that the friction on the legs alone is enough to hold the stack
together very tightly with no need to solder the ZIF or the dual wipe sockets
to each other.

Will