[N8VEM: 18703] Cheap KIM-1 clone
oscarv
2014-09-20 00:30:28 UTC

It's not entirely in the spirit of the N8VEM group but maybe it's close
enough to mention here:

I'm just polishing the last rough edges off a calculator-sized KIM-1
replica that's based on an atMega MCU.
Nothing very spectacular - retrocomputing on MCUs is done a lot these days
I know.

But the nice thing is that obtaining parts incl. the PCB comes out below
$10. (Just to make sure: it's a non-profit hobby project, open source
hard/software).

The software should run on any Arduino, allowing you to use the KIM in its
serial TTY mode. The PCB just adds the on-board KIM keyboard and segment
LED display.

Feedback appreciated:
http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!kim-uno-summary/c1uuh

The one part that's still work in progress is a "calculator mode", which
gives it a useful thing to do when the novelty of KIM-1 programming wears
off. The idea is that, using a really nice 6502 floating point library I
found, a 6502 programmable calculator is easy to realise. :)

Regards,

Oscar.
Kip Koon
2014-09-20 11:33:32 UTC
Hi Oscarv!

I just took a look at the KIM-UNO, The KIM-1 emulator you mentioned below. It is a very interesting project. I’m in the middle of several other projects at the moment or I might be considering making one especially considering the $10 price tag!

Kip Koon

computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org

http://computerpcdoc.com/