[N8VEM: 16122] ECB PCB reorders
Andrew Lynch
2013-09-05 17:37:49 UTC
Hi

After a bit of thought and some discussion I've reordered the N8 and ECB
DiskIO V3 PCBs. They should be here in late Sep 2013. There are builders
waiting for these boards and also they are not respins so it should go
quickly. What boards to reorder next is always a bit of guesswork and there
is no set formula for what goes and when.

For the next batch of PCBs, I am thinking the ECB bus monitor, ECB SBC-188,
and ECB mini-68K. Those are all in the queue for a while too but the
SBC-188 and mini-68K are going to be respins to fix some issues.

Your thoughts and comments are always welcome. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Max Scane
2013-09-05 21:45:00 UTC
Hi Andrew I think I mentioned in another thread that from what I can see
the Color VDU is in need of some fixes and would need a re-spin?

Given that it supersedes the earlier VDU and forms a big part of a
stand-alone system would it be a good idea to get that one fixed also?

Has there been much interest in the Color VDU?

Cheers!
Hi****
** **
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-09-05 22:09:07 UTC
Post by Max Scane
Hi Andrew I think I mentioned in another thread that from what I can see
the Color VDU is in need of some fixes and would need a re-spin?
Given that it supersedes the earlier VDU and forms a big part of a
stand-alone system would it be a good idea to get that one fixed also?
Has there been much interest in the Color VDU?
The color VDU is a neat board (I built one) but it is hard to find a
monitor that works with it. None of the monitors that I have (some various
Trinitron CRTs, and a variety of LCDs from the late 1990s to the late
2000s) will sync with it. Apparently, it needs 15hz sync, which isn't
common.

So, unless you have any of the various 1980s color monitors (Commodore CRTs
seem to be popular, along with NEC Multisync CRTs) , it's hard to use.

- Alex
Max Scane
2013-09-05 22:21:31 UTC
That's interesting, Have you tried any of those small LCD TVs? The thought
there was that because they support analogue TV scan rates they might be
more compatible with the VDU scan rates.

Did you have to perform surgery on the board? From what I have seen the
current one needs a fair amount of track cuts and leg lifts to get it
working?

Max
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-09-05 22:23:39 UTC
Post by Max Scane
That's interesting, Have you tried any of those small LCD TVs? The
thought there was that because they support analogue TV scan rates they
might be more compatible with the VDU scan rates.
Did you have to perform surgery on the board? From what I have seen the
current one needs a fair amount of track cuts and leg lifts to get it
working?
Max,

None of my LCD TVs will sync with it. I didn't have to do surgery, per se,
because I built my board after all the mods had been posted to the wiki. I
did have to do some strange wiring, during th ebuild, though.

- Alex
Tregare
2013-09-06 02:32:56 UTC
One LCD monitor known to sync with the EGA output from the ColorVDU is
Vizio VA19L HDTV10T.

EGA output (on the VGA connector) is obtained with a 16.257Mhz oscillator.
CGA output should be obtainable on the 10-pin connector with a 14.3182Mhz
oscillator, but the timing parameters will be different.

--John
Andrew Lynch
2013-09-07 15:41:05 UTC
Hi! Some of the cheap LCD monitors that share a design with cheap LCD TVs
can sync to NTSC/PAL frequencies. It is odd but true. Strangely it is the
low end monitors that work best not the expensive ones.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Andrew Lynch
2013-09-07 15:41:05 UTC
Hi! Thanks Max! Yes, the ECB ColorVDU is a popular board. It is powerful
and a great addition to the suite of ECB boards. I agree it needs a PCB
respin but suggest we work on it and rework the PCB layout. When the
current boards run out it will be time for a PCB reorder and we can respin
it at then. In the meantime there is quite a bit of work to do on it. I
would like to reorder the ECB Color VDU, the mini-68K, the SBC-188, and the
ECB bus monitor in the next round. Maybe split those into two groups
depending on how ready they are for PCB order.

The N8, DiskIO V3, 6x0x host processor, and 6x0x IO mezzanine have already
been reordered so there are some PCBs "in the pipeline" and should be
available soon.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch