[N8VEM: 15823] Struggling with Zeta
Samuel Castledine
2013-04-11 22:48:34 UTC

I've been trying to get my Zeta up and running however I've run into some
problems.

Current setup : no PPP, using standard ROM, no jumpers set. Using USB to
RS232 cable.

When connected to the PC nothing is received in the virtual terminal (using
HyperTerminal, 38400,8,none,1,none). At first I thought it was the cable
however after testing pins and doing a loop back test it doesn't seem
as though its that.

Here is some pictures of the board:
Bottom : https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9ixagkd4f5pfaw/2013-04-10%2021.05.55.jpg
Top : https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmo5vuk83ve287o/2013-04-10%2021.04.31.jpg

I've also attached a detailed parts list with links to the parts I used.

Many thanks

Sam

Douglas Goodall
2013-04-12 05:20:44 UTC
Sam,

Can you verify the clock is making it to the Z80. That would be a good first step.

Douglas

---http://www.linkedin.com/in/douglasgoodall

Wayne Warthen
2013-04-12 06:14:14 UTC
Hi Sam,

What test equipment to you have? DVM? Logic probe?

I agree with Douglas that checking for a pulsing clock pin at the CPU is a
good idea. Also, if you have a DVM, check for +5 at the Vcc pins for all
chips.

-Wayne

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-12 10:13:22 UTC
Hi Wayne,

Woudl one of these be ok to use :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TTL-DTL-LOGIC-LEVEL-PROBE-CIRCUIT-TESTER-ANALIZER-LED-/200804328007?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2ec0dee247

Sam

Wayne Warthen
2013-04-12 14:03:42 UTC
Yeah, perfect. Very similar to mine. It is a simple tool and it has been
invaluable to me in tracking down non-functional boards/components.

Definitely follow Douglas' instructions for checking the CPU clock signal
when you get it.

-Wayne

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 11:54:05 UTC

The probe has arrived, configuration onf the probe is TTL/CMOS and
Mem/Pulse, which settings do I need to use to measure pin 6 on z80?

Sergey
2013-04-18 14:45:42 UTC
Either TTL or CMOS (I believe the oscillators and Z80 CPU you've
ordered are CMOS, but you can try both, generally TTL logic levels
cover CMOS levels). The second switch is should be set to Pulse.
(Pulse is for detecting, well, pulses. Mem is one shot function - it
remembers if pulse ever occurred)

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 14:53:37 UTC
Sergey
2013-04-18 17:31:43 UTC
Pin 8.

Sam, I suggest you to check the schematic:
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/53110585/Zeta%20SBC%20-%20Schematics%20-%20Color%20-%201.3.pdf
It will help with understanding how the thing works (for example you
will see that pin 6 of CPU is connected to pin 8 of the oscillator),
and give some clues on debugging it. Another thing you might want to
read is Z80 user manual: http://www.zilog.com/docs/z80/um0080.pdf, for
example start with pin description, it will help you understand what
is the purpose of different pins on the CPU, and what is the direction
of the signals (input/output/bidirectional).

I understand that for a beginner the schematic and technical
documentation can be a bit overwhelming. We are here to help you, so
don't hesitate asking questions.

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 17:39:51 UTC
Thanks Sergey, that did the trick!

Reading Hi on pin 8 of U21, however not getting a blinking light just Hi
indicator.

So lo on pin 6 of cpu and hi on oscillator but no pulses got logic probe
set to TTL and pulse

Thanks again for the docuemnts sergey!

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 17:48:12 UTC
Sergey
2013-04-18 18:02:42 UTC
OK, can you check other oscillators (FDC, UART), same pin... see if
you get any pulses there.

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 19:10:27 UTC
Sergey
2013-04-18 19:40:43 UTC
Something is wrong...
- you're measuring data on a wrong pin (I can't believe that all three
oscillators are dead)
- problems with power supply (can you check voltages on between pins 7
and 14 of OSCs?!)
- your logic probe is not working correctly

Pins are counted counterclockwise, first pin is the one on the bottom
left (use labeling on the package to determine the orientation), the
OSC edge closest to the pin 1 is usually sharper than others edges.
When counting pins on OSC, pins 2-6 and 9-13 are skipped (you can
count holes on PCB instead), so an OSC has only pins 1, 7, 8, and 14.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_in-line_package#Orientation_and_lead_numbering

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-18 20:06:15 UTC
Ive orientated the board so thatthe edge with the oscillators and the
battery are closest to me and the edge with the parallel is furthest away.

Using the data sheet <http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/3/aco-29204.pdf> for the
oscillator pin 8 is the pin diagonal from the corner which is squared off.
This means the pin I am measuring is the bottom right hand pin with the
squared corner facing towards the edge with the parallel.

Logic probe is connected (using the crocodile clips) to P6 as was easy way
to power. Settings are TTL and Pulse.

Voltage between 7&14 is 4.9v

Sergey
2013-04-18 20:21:34 UTC
Sam,

Yes, according to your description you're checking the right OSC pin.
Perhaps you can play with logic probe settings (change to TTL?!)...
You can also try removing OSC from the board and testing it separately
(connect pin 7 to the minus of a 5V power supply, and pin 14 to the
plus). If you really want you can program an Arduino to generate a
pulse sequence (turn a port on and off repeatedly) and test your logic
probe there.

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-25 10:59:50 UTC
I tested on the arduino and the pulse LED didnt light up so I contacted the
seller saying the pulse extender is faulty sp they sent me a new one,
tested the new one, same result as original. Contact seller again now
Wayne Warthen
2013-04-25 14:06:12 UTC
Wow, that is unfortunate. These devices are not terribly complicated, so I
am very surprised that multiple of them are not working... Not sure what
to suggest though.
Bill Lewis
2013-04-26 13:58:13 UTC
May be working according to their definition?
Pulses withing a certain frequency range.

Wayne Warthen
2013-04-26 14:24:21 UTC
Well, I checked the specs when Sam mentioned this device. It is rated for
>17MHz and detection of pulse widths of 30ns. Should be more than
sufficient, no? Hmmm... well, certainly fine for Zeta, but I guess it
might be too slow for Arduino (I am not clear on the specs of the Arduino).

-Wayne

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-26 14:33:04 UTC
Hmm not sure on specific either, the seller is getting the manufactuor
(Laser) to contact me directly. I actually ended up buying a slightly
different logic probe to the one I linked however the tech spec state that
for it can detect frequencies up to 20MHz with a minium pulse width of 30ns.

Wayne Warthen
2013-04-26 14:35:06 UTC
OK, well, I guess if the Zeta is running at 20MHz, it might not catch the
pules.

Sam, what is the clock speed for your Zeta? What is the speed of the CPU
clock crystal? If you are using a 20MHz clock crystal, I suggest using
something much slower until you know your Zeta is working well. I would
start with 4 or 8MHz.

-Wayne

Sam Castledine
2013-04-26 14:52:33 UTC
Using 8mhz

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-26 14:53:14 UTC
Gerald Shaerman
2013-04-28 01:26:11 UTC
Arduino runs at 16 Mhz.
Gerry Sherman

Sam Castledine
2013-04-28 11:13:02 UTC
So the probe should still be able to read the pulses. Still waiting for
manufacturer to contact me

Wayne Warthen
2013-04-28 15:16:34 UTC
Yes, seems that way. My probe is actually rated at a slower frequency than
yours and still has no problem seeing pulses on my 20MHz Zeta.

Note that there are 3 oscillators on Zeta. Even if you are using a 20MHz
clock oscillator, you should still be able to see pulses from the UART
oscillator since it runs much slower.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble getting a working probe. The
specs looked fine on paper.

--Wayne

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-12 09:12:12 UTC
I think it is, my cheap multimeter seems to be confused (probably its
pulsing too fast) but it doesn't read zero! (was using v~ 200v settings btw)

Douglas Goodall
2013-04-12 08:10:09 UTC
Sam,

Here is a snippet from my previous posting to a fellow debugging an SBC.

It might help you...

Douglas

Using a logic probe to debug sbc
Page historylast edited by Douglas W. Goodall 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I would like to share a little with you about how a logic probe can be used to debug your sbc.

First off the probe must be connected to +5 and Ground. If a board is problematic, I solder
a pin of some kind at a power and a ground point for the probe.

The probe most likely has what is called a pulse stretcher. The pulse stretcher takes an event
that happens very quickly, and turns it into a long enough flash of the LED on the probe, so that
a human can see the LED change state.

The first thing I usually test for is the clock input to the Z80. It should be changing state a
million times a second or more, so the probe should be blinking when you look at that signal at the Z80.
IF it is not blinking, then go back to the crystal oscillator and make sure it's output is blinking. If the
oscillator is wiggling, but the clock input to the Z80 is not. Do a continuity verify between the oscillator
output and the clock input on the Z80 (with the power off of course). If there is no connection between
the oscillator output and the Z80 clock input, you are either looking at a trace problem on the board, or
you counted wrong on the Z80 pins. If you are sure of your pins and no continuity, you may have a
socket problem. Check the continuity between the Z80 clock input pin, and the solder pad on the
back where that socket pin comes through. If you have the signal on the backside pad, but not on the
chip pin in the socket, you either have a bad solder jointwher the socket pin goes through the board
or you may have a bent under pin on the clock lead of the Z80.

Now that you are sure the Z80 has it's heartbeat, the next question I would ask, "Is the Z80
executing code? Use the logic probe to check the chip enable line of the ROM/FLASH to see
if the CPU is addressing the RAM.

Next I would look at the chip select on the UART to see if the code is sending it initialization bytes.
If the chip select is not wiggling, check to see if the output of the I/O address decoder is wiggling the
line which goes to the UART chip select. If it is not, there may be a problem in the I/O decoding logic.

This is my logical approach to debugging the board. I have not written the complete procedure for
debugging the entire board, but have given you a little of the kinds of things you might be considering
while you have the logic probe in your hand.

Chances are if you approach the board this way, you will know soon which subsystems are working
and where the chain of logic breaks down .

Samuel Castledine
2013-04-12 09:12:57 UTC
I will try and get hold of a logic probe from ebay :)

Samuel Castledine
2013-06-03 09:22:18 UTC
I've been getting no where the the person that me the probes so (its going
to be a very long battle as they are denying selling it to me) I've decided
it might be easier to replace the oscillators and just see what happens
Mouser is currently out of stock of one of the oscillators<http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ECS/ECS-100AX-18432/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt8zWNA7msRCkZF6o3VgKlSBPpGLyq2pks=> does
anyone know of anywhere reliable to order one from or someone that might
have a spare?

Sam

Wayne Warthen
2013-06-03 14:30:20 UTC
Hi Sam,

Very sorry you are having so much trouble with the probe vendor.

Digikey has 1.8432MHz oscillators in stock. Digikey is very reliable.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MXO45-3C-1M8432/CTX776-ND/1801891

If you are willing to start over on the logic probe, Digikey also has a
20MHz B&K logic probe for $37 or a 50MHz variant for $48. This is a well
known brand from a highly reputable vendor.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DP%2021/DP-21-ND/66829

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DP%2052/BKDP52-ND/227492

--Wayne

Sam Castledine
2013-06-03 20:03:39 UTC
Excellent! Thank you Wayne I shall make the orders tomorrow :)