[N8VEM: 17339] Xi support board availability
Jim Strickland
2014-02-16 07:02:32 UTC
In the PCB availability list, it says there are no more backplane boards,
serial/fdc boards, or cf-lite boards left. Will there be more of these in
the foreseeable future?
Andrew Lynch
2014-02-16 13:24:53 UTC
Hi

If there are none listed in the inventory it means no builders have those PCBs on hand. However if other builders want to order boards and distribute please ask and I will post the EDA files so you can have the boards manufactured. I can walk you through the process of making prototype and/or production boards.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

In the PCB availability list, it says there are no more backplane boards, serial/fdc boards, or cf-lite boards left. Will there be more of these in the foreseeable future?

-JRS
Sergey
2014-02-20 21:08:30 UTC
Jim,

I am out of these boards at the moment. I don't think I will reorder them
in the nearest future (too busy with other stuff). But as Andrew said - if
you (or anyone else) would like to order and distribute these boards I can
provide EDA files (I believe they are already posted on N8VEM Wiki or on my
site), and walk you through the process or ordering boards.

Thanks,
Sergey
J. Alexander Jacocks

Sergey
2014-02-20 23:13:58 UTC
Alex,

Possibly, but again not in the nearest future (possibly late spring/summer).
Do you have any particular board in mind?

Thanks,
Sergey
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-02-21 00:10:31 UTC
Well, a memory expansion card would be cool. As would a combo card to
supply serial/parallel/joystick. And a network card, as well.

I know that vintage cards exist that fulfill these needs, but I really do
enjoy building boards.

- Alex
Sergey
2014-02-21 05:23:00 UTC
Have you seen James Pearce's memory cards?
This: http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_1MB_RAM_Board
And this: http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_2MB_EMS_Board

Some notes:
- I don't necessary agree with his choice of using SMT components. This is
a cost saving measure.
- The EMS card can be easily expanded to 4 MB (again 2 MB seems to be a
board size thing)
- I don't think the EMS driver is ready yet for the EMS card...

Serial port and joystick are really simple to implement. Parallel port is
not too complicated either, but requires 10 or so 74LS* ICs. But as you
mentioned it is not difficult to get a multi-IO card that supplies all
these ports.

Thanks,
Sergey
joe.herdler-/
2014-02-21 13:19:53 UTC
Hi Sergey,

I am having a blast building my Xi! I would love to see a memory expansion
board, as well as a real hot mathematics accellerator. A hard drive
controller would also be neat.

Just out of curiosity (nosyness) what are you working on now?

Best,

Joe Herdler
Sergey
2014-02-21 22:55:10 UTC
Thanks Joe.

Hard drive controller: There are multiple options here: XT-IDE, XT-CF,
XT-CF-Lite boards. All of them are not really controllers but rather
interface cards for connecting IDE-compatible devices to 8-bit ISA. I am
afraid that SCSI or MFM controllers won't be popular because SCSI and MFM
drives are more difficult to get these days.

Math accelerator - not sure what is it. Are you talking about 286/386-based
accelerator cards for upgrading an XT?

I don't have any big project right now - too busy with work/life, not much
time for a hobby.

Thanks,
Sergey
joe.herdler-/
2014-02-27 13:00:20 UTC
Post by joe.herdler-/
Hi Sergey,
Don't worry, I completely understand about how life takes so much time.
I know personally how this is as my wife and I are raising our grandkids. I
sneak a little time for my hobbies every day or so while the kiddos are at
school or asleep, but never more than a few moments at a time.

What I am thinking about in a mathematics accelerator is something that I
remember seeing back in the mid eighties just after PCs and XTs were
avaiiable. Once a user installed an 8087 math co-processor, if they needed
still more floating point power, there were *very *expensive boards that
were available (10,000 USD range) that could be installed that did nothing
but very fast floating point math. I cannot find much of anything with
Google about these. A professor of mine had one that with out it, a
particular statistical analysis of genetic characteristics (this was very
early "DNA fingerprinting" of plant species) took a week to run on his XT
with an 8087. WIth the math accelerator it took about a day.

My main love with computers is not for internet surfing, web design or
games, but good old fashioned command line use, programming and
mathematical analysis. When I was a student, I was an ace batch programmer!
:-)

Any way, just as an update, I have made excellent progress on both my
backplane and CPU card. The only snag so far is that the day before I
placed my Mouser order, they sold out of ISA card slot sockets, so I don't
know when I will be able to finish the board. The sockets are on back order
and will ship when they have them, but I do not know when that will be.

I would also love to have a memory board as well, but with the boards that
I have to complete, that can wait.

Best to you and yours,

Joe
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-02-27 15:30:00 UTC
Sergey,

Well, shoot! I was just about to order another of your ISA SVGA boards.
Do you plan to re-order that, anytime soon? If not, would you mind if I
tried to order it, myself?

Thanks!
- Alex
Jim Strickland
2014-02-28 18:43:18 UTC
If anyone's planning an order of Sergey's backplanes or serial boards for
the Xi, I'd be interested in getting on the list.
Edward Snider
2014-03-01 05:32:08 UTC
I'd want to be on that list too.
Edward Snider
2014-03-01 05:23:26 UTC
Alex,

I believe he has the cad files available for download on his site... ISA
Super VGA - Malinov Family Web Presence<http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-supervga>

Ed
Sergey
2014-03-02 01:02:06 UTC
Of course, no problem. All my projects are open source, so feel free to
order boards yourself. As you can see other people can be interested in
these boards too, so check there (and perhaps on vintage-computer.com) if
anyone else is interested in these boards.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with finding the design
files. I believe I have most of them either on N8VEM wiki or on my own site
(www.malinov.com), but maybe something is missing there...
Jim Strickland
neilbradley
Brian Marstella
2014-03-07 01:55:29 UTC
Hi, Sergey,

I am interested in the XT-CF-Lite PCB; do you remember how many it takes
for economical order? I'm interested in possibly creating an order if
enough people are interested.
Sergey
2014-03-08 07:19:10 UTC
Brian,

I paid $238.71 for 30 boards at pcbcart.com:
- $4.60 per board (this number will be higher for smaller order)
- $73.99 tooling cost
- $26.72 shipping to US with FedEx

Not sure if you can reorder using my previous order number and part number - if you can, that would save you the tooling cost.
I can send you the details by e-mail.