[N8VEM: 16509] Project with the Z80
Harald Rau
2013-11-17 15:26:05 UTC
Hello,
I work in a german school as a teacher of technology. We had projects with
an arduino micro controller and a paspberry pi. Now we investigate the
construction of a computer. I will need a basic example. I think the z80 is
very good for experimenting.
We will control some simple production processes with the z80.

I read the beginner manuel, unfortunately I have an EPROM burner.

But for a successful project I still need help:

What should I do exactly to order an ECB board v2 SCB.
If the board also sent to Germany?
Can I order a ROM with software [CP/M, Dbase, BASIC, ...]?

Many thanks for your help

Harald Rau!
Werner S
2013-11-17 18:49:49 UTC
Hello Harald!

You can contact Andrew Lynch via E-Mail (lynchaj-/***@public.gmane.org) for the PCBs (20 USD each + shipping). He can also provide pre-programmed EPROMs (5 USD + shipping).

Take a look at the Wiki front page for the many different PCBs available. To get started, you only need the "N8VEM SBC V2", the EPROM and the parts from the parts list. If you need help with the parts (some are a bit difficult to get in Germany), let me know.

Shipping to Germany is no problem.

Greetings,

Werner
Harald Rau
2013-11-18 08:42:09 UTC
Hello Werner,

thanks for your answer. I have sent an email to Andrew Lynch. The parts I
get in two stores, Jameco and Digikey - I hope so. If there are problems
with the order, I will write it in this thread!

Thank you and have a nice week!

Harald!

PS.: I found the project in the magazine c't hacks 4/2013
Hello Harald!
Sergey
2013-11-18 20:40:28 UTC
Harald,

You can also consider my Zeta SBC design:
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/44366173/Zeta%20SBC. It is not much
different from N8VEM SBC: it trades the ECB interface to a floppy disk
controller, and has only a few configuration jumpers, and uses more
convenient on-board connectors for RS-232 (DE9), DC, and RTC/SRAM battery.
So it is a bit more beginner friendly, and works better in case you don't
want to extend the system with ECB.

Thanks,
Sergey
Douglas Goodall
2013-11-18 21:13:37 UTC
I highly recommend the Zeta as a student project. It is a great design and has an 8255 parallel interface for controlling things.

I have several and used them for the initial development of the RomWBW utilities.

Douglas Goodall

---
Douglas W. Goodall
http://www.goodall.us.com
AG5AT

Harald Rau
2013-11-19 17:59:25 UTC
Hello Sergey,

thanks for your answer. I have any questions:

- boot the CP/M system from floppy?
- is it possible to download a CP/M floppy image?
- Works a LINUX the Terminal "minicom or picocom with the RS232?
- Where can i order the Zeta SBC board?

Thank you for your care,
greeting Harald!
Harald,
Bob Devries
2013-11-19 21:52:32 UTC
Hello Harald,

I'm a Zeta builder, so I'll answer some of those questions:

The Zeta can boot from a CP/M image that's built into the ROM. There are utilities which enable you to create a floppy boot. If the Zeta is equipped with the Parallel Port IDE, then it can boot from any IDE partition. I use a 2GiB CF card for this.

I use TeraTerm on Windows XP to "talk" to the Zeta. I think any LINUX terminal programme should work, as long as it understands ANSI screen codes.

You can order the Zeta board from Sergey. You'll get great service!

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

2013-11-21 16:41:17 UTC
Hello,

Thank you for your warm welcome. I am very pleased with your help. I ordered
the parts and will start soon with the installation.

When I have problems, I'll ask here in this group!

Greetings from Harald!
Andrew Lynch
2013-12-23 00:33:36 UTC
Thanks Harald! That's a great idea and exactly right. Many new builders
will wonder the same thing and learn from your question and the responses it
will generate.

Sending emails to the N8VEM mailing list is also the most likely way to get
a timely response. I am literally weeks behind on email due to many things
and now finally catching up on messages from more than a month ago.

There are many builders who will see your messages and are certainly capable
of sharing their insights. Many have more experience in the field than I do
so it is good to ask the broader community.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch