[N8VEM: 18257] 6x0x ATX/6U - Last Call - Board Order Wednesday 6/18
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-17 05:01:00 UTC
All,

I'm planning on placing the PCB order for the new 6x0x ATX/6U board
Wednesday morning. I have interest in 48 boards so far. I've sent a
separate private email to each person who has expressed interest, to make
sure I have your emails correct in my list and to confirm quantities
(except Fabio B, Dan W, and Wayne W who I have all had recent email contact
with so you're already "confirmed").

-If you're not on this list, please reply here and let me know how many
boards you want.
-If you're on the list and you haven't seen/replied to my email, please do
so. (I won't remove anyone from the list, so no worries there, but I do
want to know I have all the emails straight)

The cost will be:
US - $20 each board + $6 shipping (USPS Priority)
International - $20 each board + $12.75 shipping (USPS First Class)
(I should be able to get multiple boards into one package for 1x the
shipping cost.)

As a note this board run is being done as a project of the Mojave Makers, a
makerspace in Mojave, CA - you can visit our website
at http://mojavemakers.wordpress.com/. When the boards come in I will
generate PayPal Invoices for everyone which you will see coming from the
Mojave Makers PayPal account.

I will buy ~10 extra boards in case there are an latecomers.

Thanks,

Andrew B

NameQtyFabioBattaglia3PaulDennison1VinceMulhollon4BrianMarstella1Oscar
Vermeulen2GeorgeHarris1AugustTreubig2NeilBreeden2Dave "Yoda"2KipKoon3Edward
Snider2PaulPirkel1PatDelvec2DanWerner3NeilBradley1JohnCoffman1IanDouglas3
AndrewBingham2Borut1LeonByles1SteveShumaker1IanMay2Clive "littlebus"1Ken
Robbins1NikBrisevac1MalcomRamey2WayneWarthen2Total48
oscarv
2014-06-17 10:12:21 UTC
Andrew,

Just to reconfirm my 2 boards.

Looking forward to it!
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-06-17 11:03:55 UTC
Andrew,

I would like 1 board, please.

Thanks!
- Alex Jacocks
G. Beat
2014-06-17 18:58:16 UTC
Put me down for one board and when/where you desire $$.
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-17 22:51:11 UTC
Updated list:

NameQtyFabioBattaglia3PaulDennison1VinceMulhollon4BrianMarstella1Oscar
Vermeulen2GeorgeHarris1AugustTreubig2NeilBreeden2Dave "Yoda"2KipKoon3Edward
Snider2PaulPirkel1PatrickDelvec2DanWerner3NeilBradley1JohnCoffman1IanDouglas
3AndrewBingham2Borut1LeonByles1SteveShumaker1IanMay2Clive "littlebus"1Ken
Robbins1NikBrisevac1MalcomRamey2WayneWarthen2ToddGoodman3BoisyPitre2Alex
Jacocks1G.Beat1Total55

Andrew B
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-19 02:05:13 UTC
I've placed the order for 65 PCBs based on the list coming out to 55
preorders.
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-06-23 00:24:56 UTC
Andrew,

I uploaded a BoM, based on your parts list. It is primarily from Digikey
and Jameco, but, of course, the processors will have to come from a
different source.

The file is http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/82162741/ECB%206x0x-6U.xlsm,
which is a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet, Please take a look, and let me
know if I got anything wrong or forgot any parts. I had to make some
guesses, since the parts list wasn't very exact.

Thanks!
- Alex
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-23 06:22:05 UTC
I wasn't in on the prototype build so one of the guys that was will
hopefully take a look and give some feedback.

I'm going to start filling out the page for the board before they come in,
I'd like to have a nice detailed page with all the connectors/jumpers/etc
like the Zeta page for example.

Andrew B
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-06-24 13:29:23 UTC
Would someone who built a prototype comment on the BoM I posted? Since the
parts list is generic (I assume generated by KiCAD), I had to make some
assumptions, and would really like to get input.

Thanks!
- Alex
Vince Mulhollon
2014-06-24 13:43:33 UTC
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Would someone who built a prototype comment on the BoM I posted?
I don't have a prototype, but I can't open the file. Excel files usually
only compatible with one version, and even then depends on firewalls and
anti-virus, so I can't open the file. Only have access to Excel 2010 here,
unsure if thats the problem or the firewall or anti-virus or ... Text
might be easier. Or a google docs, those are compatible with everything.
Or the wiki itself rather than a download. I am greatly looking forward to
this board and a BoM sounds like a good idea. Just suggesting the
prototype builders might not be able to open the file...
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-06-24 14:13:33 UTC
The issue is that macros are present in the document. However, I thought
that Excel 2010 supported macros, and 2008 was the only version that
didn't. The doc should end with ".xlsm".

Anyway, I'll extract the data, and re-post it.

Thanks!
- Alex
J. Alexander Jacocks

Borut
2014-06-25 20:59:47 UTC
Hi!

Just a few comments on components:
Faster versions (2MHz) by Motorola are 68B09, 68B21, 68B40...
There were also CMOS versions made by Hitachi: HD63Bxx. Thay can still be
found on ebay.
Most interesting is HD63C09, which runs at least at 3MHz, some users are
running it at up to 5MHz in CoCos.

Stay away from WDC's W65C51. It is pin compatible with 65C51, but has a
nasty bug in transmitter.
There are versions of 65C51 that work at 4MHz available from Chinese
vendors on ebay.
There are also versions of 65C02 and 65C22 that run at 4MHz.
With 2MHz and faster versions of 65C51 it is possible to use 3.6864 MHz
oscillator and
the baud rate can go up to 38.400 baud. Since 6551 has no internal fifo
that requires using interrupt drivers
or setting the terminal program for a delay between characters.

W65C21 is tested (at 2 MHz) replacement for 6821, it should work at higher
speeds than 2MHz.

Best regards,

Bo/
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-06-25 21:37:53 UTC
OK, I remember the discussion about the modern 6551's bugs.

What would you change, on the BoM, then? I am using pulls for all the
vintage ICs, I believe. Could you change the .xls file, and mail it back?
I'll upload the changed version.

Thanks!
- Alex
Hi!
Vince Mulhollon
2014-07-20 18:59:50 UTC
As a disclaimer I haven't ordered or completed a build yet (although I did
solder in about 200 IC sockets over the past few days and uncountable 0.1
uF caps)

However I am researching. As usual only about 5 minutes ahead of my
soldering iron LOL

Is the prop expecting to talk to a speaker or a DC input buzzer?

My best guess is a digikey 668-1098-nd which is a 48-ish ohm speaker, 12 mm
dia, 6.5 mm aka 1/4 inch pins

The BOM has a digikey 433-1029-ND which is mechanically about the same plus
its got driver ckt so 5 VDC in makes a beep around 2500 Hz

I could reasonably see something designed either way

I am no SPIN propeller expert but the code has lines like

spk.speakerFrequency(1000, SPK_BASE)

presumably implying a cog is toggling at 1000 Hz so speaker not buzzer. Or
does that mean its doing a DC pulse of 1000 ms in length. Hmmm.
AG5AT
2014-07-20 23:03:00 UTC
Vince,

Yes, it is a speaker. I didn't order any, because I had 4 or so left over
from 5 years ago when I was doing Pics and Propeller things.

Aug