[N8VEM: 16508] future of N8
Frank Vanderydt
2013-11-17 08:18:59 UTC
I'm trying to build the N8-2312, but i'm starting to wonder if i ever will
get my parts together.

TMS9918 in backorder in china.
Soundchip even harder to find, but ordered through ebay.
Memory chips solved, found alternatives.
27C080 doesn't exist anymore in regular circuit, but order them on ebay.
WD37C65 (found in china) alibaba.com
DS1302 is getting a problem, seems to be replaced by a i2C serial piece and
3-wire is harder to get. So which one do i need in this project ?

We need a newer part for calender/clock and a solution for the eprom.
Text graphic mode through parallel mode with propeller as standard VGA
onboard would be cool.

I would suggest to use ITX specs at least, then the board would fit inside
a mini itx case. All PSU's in those cases have a molex PSU. (like Morex)
Just use ECB connectors instead of PCI connectors on the backplane. In fact
it will fit in any pc case.

That would be my design if i ever find time do get my schematic together ;)

2013-11-17 12:16:43 UTC
Frank,

You don't say what part of the world you live in, but:

AS6C4008 (512Kx8) SRAM is available from both Jameco and Digikey
AT27C080 EPROM is available from both Jameco and Digikey
DS1302 likewise, is available from both Jameco and Digikey

Hard to find old chips, no longer manufactured:
AY-3-8910 is available from Unicorn Electronics

WD37C65B (must be "B") is hard to find. Quest had them, but only in
quantities. I bought about 40 of them from "Area51" and passed them to
Andrew; but he is now out of them.
TMS9918 -- I forget where I got mine.

When it gets to the odd chips in single quantities, minimum order $$$ is a
problem.
To search for old chips, try Octopart or FindChips. One or the other will
often locate a supplier.

Internationally, Mouser is a good source to try.

--John
(USA)

Frank Vanderydt
2013-11-17 15:45:04 UTC
2013-11-17 18:11:42 UTC
Frank,

I'm not too surprised to hear that one supplier will not ship
internationally. One which will is Futurlec. They seem to be worldwide.
I ordered parts from Asia (Thailand or Singapore), and they shipped from
Europe. Figure that!?

I hope others from Europe will answer this thread with where they reliably
find old parts.

--John

Tom Lafleur
2013-11-17 18:37:47 UTC
You might check http://www.utsource.net/ for the parts. They have been
a very reliable vendor for older parts and they ship world wide...

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM, John Coffman <johninsd-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I'm not too surprised to hear that one supplier will not ship
> internationally. One which will is Futurlec. They seem to be worldwide.
> I ordered parts from Asia (Thailand or Singapore), and they shipped from
> Europe. Figure that!?
>
> I hope others from Europe will answer this thread with where they reliably
> find old parts.
>
> --John
>

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Frank Vanderydt <phreakske-***@public.gmane.org>wrote:
>
>> Digikey doesn't work with endusers at my country (belgium), i've tried
>> that.
>>

>> --
>>

> --

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
(858) 759-9692

Wolfgang Kabatzke
2013-11-17 17:25:24 UTC
Frank,<br/>
I&acute;m going with John. I&acute;m from Germany. The 512kByte SRAM (DIP32) I can actually by from Reichelt (German distributor). The EPROM I bought from Mouser (is also avalable in Germany), the DS1302 i found on EBay ... also the TMS9918).<br/>
And the ECB-Connector is up to now STANDARD in automation- and computer industry. It makes no sinn to use PCI-connector and PCI-bus for Retro-Computers. The Propeller-Solution is absolute ok, but not too much &quot;modern world&quot;. This is not the basic idea of the N8VEM-group which works in the &quot;Retro-Area&quot;, for my understanding.<br/>
Best regards<br/>
Wolfgang (Germany)<br>

<b>Betreff:</b>&nbsp;Re: [N8VEM: 16508] future of N8

-- <br/>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br/>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="n8vem%2Bunsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org" target="_parent">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br/>

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to n8vem+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org<br/>

Borut
2013-11-17 22:46:56 UTC
Frank,

I buy some parts locally here in Slovenia, some from Farnell and the rest
from China via Ebay.

Farnell is not the cheapest, but they will send the stuff from UK (with
DHL) overnight for 5Eur per package.
They have rams*, *1302, and even z80 in 10mhz version.

For the obsolete parts, ebay seems to work ok.
Instead of uv erasable eprom i (and probably the majority of builders)
prefer flash memory chips like 29f040.
The only real difference is that the rom disk you normally use to boot from
is smaller, but if you have ppide
or similar storage it is not an issue.

Regards,
Borut

Frank Vanderydt
2013-11-20 19:32:31 UTC
Thanks for info guys,

It's not that i can't find the parts, i almost order every part 2 times...
i have found the difficult chips in china on ebay, but they will take a
while to get here.
I like hunting .. :) for parts i mean.. Still when N8 is finished it will
be my basic setup and study project to learn more about cpm and bios.

I want to be able to make an own design with a Z80-based chip..

I like all the projects here, zeta is cool too... a lot of creative minds
here.

For future generations a possible solution for the 27c080 would be, to make
a custom nvram, based on the alliance part AS6C8008 (1024Kx8) but it only
exists in TSOPII 44.
If VPP would be raised i could use a transistor to invert /WE and limit the
VPP/OE to 5V with a suppressor diode...
I've got an eprommer, so this looks like a do-able project to me. Battery
backup with a type of battery like the LIR2032. (rechargeable) or supercap.

i'm gonna do a test... have ordered the part. then i can fire up my board.
:)

Normal nv-rams cost too much money...

Douglas Goodall
2013-11-21 02:06:05 UTC
Frank,

It is very much worth the time and trouble to collect the parts for the N8.

I found the feeling of accomplishment to be very high when my N8 was
fully functional.

With it’s rich collection of built-in features, sound, graphics, SD…, the
N8 makes a great platform for developing a game of some kind. The
TMS9918 graphics adapter is extremely capable, both in its text and
graphics modes.

Of all the N8VEM boards and systems I have built, my N8 is special to me
and represents the CP/M system I dreamed of for years. I don’t find it
necessary to struggle any more about getting an S-100 system running as
the 18MHz Z80 is in my mind a “workstation class” CP/M machine.

Now built, debugged, and in it’s lovely case, it is a living trophy for the time
and effort I put into my N8VEM project experience.

It’s true, by the end of the experience, I had spent $500 on part’s and case,
but as I travel through the onslaught of evolving technology, having to buy
new machines regularly, this one cost less than a moderate notebook, but
gives me so much more pleasure. This one doesn’t become obsolete just
because Microsoft has a new operAting system that needs better hardware.

While the user base for the N8 is not that large, I am sure we would all
be thrilled to see an N8 based game, created by one of us for this machine.

I wish you the best experience with your N8. To learn, and to learn from
our shared experience, meeting friendly N8VEM community members who
enjoy sharing and helping others realize their vintage computing dream.

Regards,
Douglas Goodall
On Nov 20, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Frank Vanderydt <phreakske-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Thanks for info guys,
>
> It's not that i can't find the parts, i almost order every part 2 times... i have found the difficult chips in china on ebay, but they will take a while to get here.
> I like hunting .. :) for parts i mean.. Still when N8 is finished it will be my basic setup and study project to learn more about cpm and bios.
>
> I want to be able to make an own design with a Z80-based chip..
>
> I like all the projects here, zeta is cool too... a lot of creative minds here.
>
> For future generations a possible solution for the 27c080 would be, to make a custom nvram, based on the alliance part AS6C8008 (1024Kx8) but it only exists in TSOPII 44.
> If VPP would be raised i could use a transistor to invert /WE and limit the VPP/OE to 5V with a suppressor diode...
> I've got an eprommer, so this looks like a do-able project to me. Battery backup with a type of battery like the LIR2032. (rechargeable) or supercap.
>
> i'm gonna do a test... have ordered the part. then i can fire up my board. :)
>
> Normal nv-rams cost too much money...
>

> --

---
Douglas Goodall
doug-***@public.gmane.org
http://goodall.us.com
WQRLl515

Frank Vanderydt
2013-11-21 17:37:20 UTC
Indeed Douglas,

I spend almost the same money on it but i think it's worth it... i was
tired of the boring windows pc's at the moment..
Only thing you can do with it without expensive software is internet en
social networking...i think social is in the wrong context, because people
talk less with each other...

I missed the days of the zx spectrum and the ZX81, those were
home-computers were you could program something useful in basic... it was a
lot of fun drawing a sine on the screen WAW !
You had immediate result... with a small program, at school i did learn
some assembly but not much, enough to get me interested in processors..
I think this N8 can give me back some of the fun i've missed.

Having a computer in the 80's was a challenge because you needed knowledge
of electronics. Now you need no brains to install windows...

Is it possible to run the N8 in text mode ? through rs232 ? because i
haven't got a monitor with composite video yet..

Thanks for the support and i look forward to the next project...

Regards,

Frank

Frank Vanderydt
2013-11-21 17:38:21 UTC
And by miracle TMS9918A and the soundchip just arrived woohoo.. now i need
Dan Werner
2013-11-21 18:26:16 UTC
Make sure to try the MSX rom for the N8, there are a ton of MSX game roms
that will run with that bios. Full graphics & sound '80s arcade
goodness!!!

Dan Werner

Wayne Warthen
2013-11-21 23:04:34 UTC
Hi Dan,

I have a vague recollection that the MSX ROM was not compatible with the
newer variant of the N8 (2312) due to the change in the SD card circuit.
Can you clarify that?

Thanks,

Wayne

Dan Werner
2013-11-21 23:30:42 UTC
There is an issue with the SD card that I have not resolved yet, but the
floppy works fine. Just needs a fat formatted floppy disk with the n8
loader and ROM images.

Dan

Wayne Warthen
2013-11-22 04:22:20 UTC