[N8VEM: 18919] FUZIX - very interesting Z80 OS development
oscarv
2014-11-05 23:23:10 UTC

I saw a post over at the vintage computer forum - well worth reading if you
have Unix ambitions on the Z80:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AlanCoxLinux/posts/a2jAP7Pz1gj

Regards,

Oscar.
G. Beat
2014-11-06 03:45:01 UTC
I saw that. Does mention N8VEM project (Z80) as potential target.
J. Alexander Jacocks
2014-11-06 13:33:58 UTC
Yeah, looks to be a very exciting project, especially with Alan Cox at the
helm.

- Alex
William R Sowerbutts
2014-11-07 11:43:41 UTC
I believe this project uses some (most?) of my code from UZI-socz80.

I recently started porting UZI-socz80 to the N8VEM Mark IV. However now that
Fuzix is available I will likely abandon that port and instead concentrate on
making a Mark IV platform for Fuzix.

I think the best we can do with the Mark IV memory mapping is to split the
address space up into one 60KB bank to hold userspace/kernel and a 4KB common
bank. The Common0 region is unusable as it can only point into ROM or memory
on the ECB bus. Haven't really had a chance to read the source for Fuzix and
figure out how the banking scheme works.

Will
Hi,
oscarv
2014-11-07 13:18:33 UTC
Will,
Post by William R Sowerbutts
I believe this project uses some (most?) of my code from UZI-socz80.
Clearly - I saw quite a few references on his site and in the code zip file.
Post by William R Sowerbutts
Haven't really had a chance to read the source for Fuzix and
figure out how the banking scheme works.
It seems quite (surprisingly) flexible. Would suit the venerable N8VEM SBC
mk 2 beautifully too :)

Regards,

Oscar.
Alan Cox
2014-11-07 15:41:22 UTC
No ifs or buts about it - thats why it says Copyright 2013 Will
Sowerbutts during the boot 8)

It's had somewhat of a refurb however
oscarv
2014-11-07 17:06:01 UTC
I'm going to try out the Amstrad NC100 version this weekend.
Thank you for using that humble but very nice machine as a testing ground!
A N8VEM version would add even more joy to the world of course :)

Regards,

Oscar.
Joel Heikkila
2014-11-07 23:32:35 UTC
Hi all,

Very exciting. CP/M has its retrocomputing charm, but a UNIX-like OS with
C language development will no doubt attract a new crowd of builders to the
N8VEM. What do you all think about how FUZIX would boot on the SBC v2?
Will it be a CP/M application, or a more traditional bootloader loaded by
ROM, bypassing CP/M?

A while back I looked into the format used by RomWBW (the most popular ROM
on SBC v2s, as I understand it). It can load arbitrary binaries into the
upper common memory, and the ROM offers drivers for the major disk
peripherals.

See: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/n8vem/7_i_wpP7hi8 (I never
did end up writing that code, unfortunately).

The bootloader could either use the FUZIX device drivers or HBIOS. The
loader's size is limited to in the 32/32 KB jumper setting to approximately
28 KB (0x9000 - 0xFF00), and presumably to about 12 KB in the 48/16 KB
setting. (Does RomWBW support the 48/16 KB mapping? If not, which ROMs
do?)

Just some thoughts,

Joel
G. Beat
2014-11-08 15:32:31 UTC
Alan -

Very interested in your progress on this effort.

In 1983, I worked with one of the first university labs (engineering/business) using
the Altos 586 (8086, 10 MHz w/hard drive) and "then new" 3Com Thin-Net (10-Base-2) network
connecting IBM PC and XT computers in the lab.
That shared disk server ran Microsoft XENIX (later SCO) released only 10 months earlier.