[N8VEM: 15802] Disk I/O V3 working with FDD Emulator
Andrew Lynch
2013-03-30 15:15:17 UTC
Oooo! That is cool! Very nice!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

From: n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org [mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of
George Harris
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:54 AM
To: n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org
Subject: [N8VEM: 15801] Disk I/O V3 working with FDD Emulator

Friends, I would like to share that tonight my Disk I/O V3 board worked
first time out with the floppy drive. I don't have a hard drive connected
yet as I don't have a power supply to run it. I am using all the default
jumper settings on the I/O board as per the page on the wiki, which is a
very well done reference page BTW. I ran it alone with the SBC V2 at 10
Mhz. I am using the ROMWBW version N8VEM_Disk3.ROM as provided in the WBW
zip file output directory.

Of possible interest is the fact that I used a HxC FDD emulator from
'Lotharek' (http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=13) in lieu of a physical
drive and it worked very nicely. After working through the software a bit
to set up the SD card, I created a blank 1.44 HD drive on a 4 gig SD card.
The SBC recognized the HxC as a floppy and gave me a C0> prompt. I was able
to format the drive using MULTIFMT.COM, SYSGEN it, copy files to it, and
boot from it. The HxC is a lot of fun, displaying sector and track
information on the LCD, and providing additional blinkenlights as well as
simulated disk-seek sounds from a piezo speaker! Speed was realistic to a
floppy. I had to readjust my expectations after working from the RAM
drives. My guess is that it is near the 500 KB/Sec for the HD floppies that
is mentioned in the documentation,

Overall, I'm really pleased with the outcome of the I/O board and the HxC
emulator. I could see the emulator fitting well into a front panel display.
I'll include a couple images:

-George