[N8VEM: 17081] ECB 6x0x ATX/VME first test
John Coffman
2014-01-11 00:42:47 UTC
<head>

</head>
I've posted to the Wiki photos of the ATX/VME 6x0x board under test.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;One wiring update is needed.&nbsp; See my "Notes" posted to
the Wiki.&lt;&lt;&lt;<br>
The board will not run without the update for the /RESET signal.<br>
The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one (LS06) that I am
missing.&nbsp; There are also two temporary chip substitutions on the
board.<br>
My notes detail the extensive list of Jumper settings for the
successful MC6809 test at 1Mhz.&nbsp; It supersedes the abbreviated list
in the main folder for the board.&nbsp; All of the tools needed to make
the test program, including the assembler, are in the TOOLS
directory in the Zipfile.<br>
--John<br>
BTW:&nbsp; does anyone have better tools than Motorola's "AS9.EXE"
assembler?<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to n8vem+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org<br />
Borut
2014-01-11 20:17:14 UTC
Hi John,

Thank you, this information is priceless. I received the board this week
and have commenced building it today,
This will definitely save me some time with debugging
.
For 6809 assembly i use as9 only to assemble old sources (like assist09
monitor).
Normally i prefer Frank Kingswood's as09, especially since there is a linux
version and i don't have to use dosbox.
http://www.kingswood-consulting.co.uk/assemblers/
There is a bug in current version, the assembly is ok, but the hex codes in
list file sometimes are not right.
To work around that i use it in 6309 mode, which so far works great.
Since i started using 6309 chips as well, that is that.

Another nice tool (only for MS Windows) is Noice debugger.
http://www.noicedebugger.com/purchase.html
Noice is free for 6809/6309 if you send an email to John Hartman
describing what you do.

Best regards,

Bo/
Post by John Coffman
I've posted to the Wiki photos of the ATX/VME 6x0x board under test.
One wiring update is needed. See my "Notes" posted to the Wiki.<<<
The board will not run without the update for the /RESET signal.
The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one (LS06) that I am missing.
There are also two temporary chip substitutions on the board.
My notes detail the extensive list of Jumper settings for the successful
MC6809 test at 1Mhz. It supersedes the abbreviated list in the main folder
for the board. All of the tools needed to make the test program, including
the assembler, are in the TOOLS directory in the Zipfile.
--John
BTW: does anyone have better tools than Motorola's "AS9.EXE" assembler?
Borut
2014-01-12 22:52:37 UTC
My board started working today. I haven't done any extensive testing,
but monitor is working over serial port, Propeller is accessing the SD card
and putting out vga signal.
I uploaded an adapted version of Motorola's Assist09 monitor to the wiki
space.

Bo/
2014-01-13 08:30:44 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
I have the MMU working, and can do I/O in mapped mode when a page is
mapped into the I/O address space.<br>
One anomaly in the loading of the MMU map registers has been noted.&nbsp;
Specifically, when both TASK and TASK_SETUP registers are 0, map
register 14 gets overwritten with the value loaded into register
15.&nbsp; This does not happen when the TASK register is 1 or 31.&nbsp; This
is a very odd problem to nail down.<br>
--John<br>
On 01/12/2014 02:52 PM, Borut wrote:
cite="mid:a86c7093-60c4-4976-8f1f-48f08c2a062c-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
extensive testing,<br>
but monitor is working over serial port, Propeller is accessing
the SD card and putting out vga signal.<br>
I uploaded an adapted version of Motorola's Assist09 monitor to
the wiki space. <br>
Bo/<br>
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:17:14 PM UTC+1, Borut wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
Thank you, this information is priceless. I received the
board this week and have commenced building it today,<br>
This will definitely save me some time with debugging<br>
. <br>
For 6809 assembly i use as9 only to assemble old sources
(like assist09 monitor). <br>
Normally i prefer Frank Kingswood's as09, especially since
there is a linux <br>
version and i don't have to use dosbox. <br>
<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.kingswood-consulting.co.uk/assemblers/"
target="_blank"
onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingswood-consulting.co.uk%2Fassemblers%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHTnKoXGN7B3sKVALpxYdtzIin64A';return
true;"
onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingswood-consulting.co.uk%2Fassemblers%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHTnKoXGN7B3sKVALpxYdtzIin64A';return
There is a bug in current version, the assembly is ok, but
the hex codes in list file sometimes are not right. <br>
To work around that i use it in 6309 mode, which so far
works great. <br>
Since i started using 6309 chips as well, that is that.<br>
Another nice tool (only for MS Windows) is Noice debugger.<br>
<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.noicedebugger.com/purchase.html"
target="_blank"
onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noicedebugger.com%2Fpurchase.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNERaSX5Jvy_Xl2biV34xUlTtLP09g';return
true;"
onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noicedebugger.com%2Fpurchase.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNERaSX5Jvy_Xl2biV34xUlTtLP09g';return
Noice is free for 6809/6309 if you send&nbsp; an email to John
Hartman describing what you do.<br>
Best regards,<br>
Bo/<br>

John Coffman
2014-01-13 21:14:22 UTC
The MMU anomaly has been traced to a race condition between the /MMU_MAP_RW
signal and the internal address decoding within the CY7C199 memory chip.
Although there is a circuit fix for this problem, that probably will wait
until the next round of boards.

For the time being, there is a very simple s/w workaround when programming
the MMU page map registers. Just insure that the TASK and TASK_SETUP
registers contain different values when programming the memory map. For
example:

1. Save the contents of the TASK register.
2. Set the TASK register to the one's complement (XOR $FF) of the
TASK_SETUP register being programmed.
3. Program one or more MMU map registers (actually, just memory
locations within the CY7C199 fast SRAM).
4. Restore the TASK register, or reload it as appropriate.

Otherwise, the MMU passes all the tests I have thrown at it up to this
point.

Andrew: I think we need a LED on the board to show when the MMU is
enabled. I've got a spare gate, if you have the board real estate.

--John

--
Post by John Coffman
I have the MMU working, and can do I/O in mapped mode when a page is
mapped into the I/O address space.
One anomaly in the loading of the MMU map registers has been noted.
Specifically, when both TASK and TASK_SETUP registers are 0, map register
14 gets overwritten with the value loaded into register 15. This does not
happen when the TASK register is 1 or 31. This is a very odd problem to
nail down.
--John
Borut
2014-01-13 23:44:04 UTC
John, can you please post or send me your test code?
I am using a ISSI IS61C64AH chip and would like to test it for this race
conditions.

By the way, assist09 single stepping using PTM works, if you short JP12 and
K6 1-2.

Bo/

Post by John Coffman
I've posted to the Wiki photos of the ATX/VME 6x0x board under test.
One wiring update is needed. See my "Notes" posted to the Wiki.<<<
The board will not run without the update for the /RESET signal.
The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one (LS06) that I am missing.
There are also two temporary chip substitutions on the board.
My notes detail the extensive list of Jumper settings for the
successful MC6809 test at 1Mhz. It supersedes the abbreviated list in the
Andrew Lynch
2014-01-15 01:04:33 UTC
OK, I will add to the list of the 6x0x changes.

Everyone please remember this is an initial prototype board so shaking out
bugs is perfectly normal.

So far, so good! Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:30:44 AM UTC-8, John Coffman wrote:

[...]

The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one (LS06) that I am missing. There

2014-01-15 06:11:37 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
To All,<br>
The safest way to program the MMU map, without soldering a circuit
change (I haven't done the board surgery yet), for the moment, is to
make sure that MMU map register $EA0E is written last.&nbsp; It turns out
that this register is written on <u>every</u> map register write
when registers TASK == TASK_SETUP.&nbsp; It could happen at other times,
too.<br>
Watch the list here, I'll post a notice if there is a hardware
correction.&nbsp; I think it can be done with one wire.<br>
--John<br>
On 01/14/2014 05:04 PM, Andrew Lynch wrote:
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">OK, I will add to the list of the 6x0x changes.&nbsp;
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">Everyone please remember this is an initial
prototype board so shaking out bugs is perfectly normal.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">So far, so good!&nbsp; Thanks and have a nice day!<br>
Andrew Lynch<o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
border-style: none none none solid; border-color:
-moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color
blue; padding: 0in 0in 0in 4pt;">
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223) -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;">
font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size: 10pt; font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a> [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>]
<b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> [N8VEM: 17129] Re: ECB 6x0x ATX/VME
first test<o:p></o:p></span></p>
your test code? <br>
I am using a ISSI IS61C64AH chip and would like to test it
for this race conditions.<br>
By the way, assist09 single stepping using PTM works, if
you short JP12 and K6 1-2.<br>
Bo/<br>
Dne ponedeljek, 13. januar 2014 22:14:22 UTC+1 je oseba
John Coffman napisala:<o:p></o:p></p>
race condition between the /MMU_MAP_RW signal and the
internal address decoding within the CY7C199 memory
chip.&nbsp; Although there is a circuit fix for this problem,
that probably will wait until the next round of boards.<br>
For the time being, there is a very simple s/w
workaround when programming the MMU page map registers.&nbsp;
Just insure that the TASK and TASK_SETUP registers
contain different values when programming the memory
map.&nbsp; For example:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1.&nbsp; Save the contents of the TASK register.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2.&nbsp; Set the TASK register to the one's complement
(XOR $FF) of the TASK_SETUP register being programmed.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3.&nbsp; Program one or more MMU map registers
(actually, just memory locations within the CY7C199 fast
SRAM).<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4.&nbsp; Restore the TASK register, or reload it as
appropriate.<br>
Otherwise, the MMU passes all the tests I have thrown at
it up to this point.<br>
Andrew:&nbsp; I think we need a LED on the board to show when
the MMU is enabled.&nbsp; I've got a spare gate, if you have
the board real estate.<br>
--John<br>
--<br>
On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:30:44 AM UTC-8, John
Coffman wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
I/O in mapped mode when a page is mapped into the I/O
address space.<br>
One anomaly in the loading of the MMU map registers
has been noted.&nbsp; Specifically, when both TASK and
TASK_SETUP registers are 0, map register 14 gets
overwritten with the value loaded into register 15.&nbsp;
This does not happen when the TASK register is 1 or
31.&nbsp; This is a very odd problem to nail down.<br>
--John<br>
On 01/12/2014 02:52 PM, Borut wrote: <o:p></o:p></p>
haven't done any extensive testing,<br>
but monitor is working over serial port, Propeller
is accessing the SD card and putting out vga signal.<br>
I uploaded an adapted version of Motorola's Assist09
monitor to the wiki space. <br>
Bo/<br>
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:17:14 PM UTC+1,
Borut wrote: <o:p></o:p></p>
Thank you, this information is priceless. I
received the board this week and have commenced
building it today,<br>
This will definitely save me some time with
debugging<br>
. <br>
For 6809 assembly i use as9 only to assemble old
sources (like assist09 monitor). <br>
Normally i prefer Frank Kingswood's as09,
especially since there is a linux <br>
target="_blank">http://www.kingswood-consulting.co.uk/assemblers/</a><br>
There is a bug in current version, the assembly is
ok, but the hex codes in list file sometimes are
not right. <br>
To work around that i use it in 6309 mode, which
so far works great. <br>
target="_blank">http://www.noicedebugger.com/purchase.html</a><br>
Noice is free for 6809/6309 if you send&nbsp; an email
to John Hartman describing what you do.<br>
Best regards,<br>
Bo/<br>
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:42:47 AM UTC+1,
John Coffman wrote: <o:p></o:p></p>
posted to the Wiki photos of the ATX/VME 6x0x
board under test.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;One wiring update is needed.&nbsp; See my
"Notes" posted to the Wiki.&lt;&lt;&lt;<br>
The board will not run without the update for
the /RESET signal.<br>
The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one
(LS06) that I am missing.&nbsp; There are also two
temporary chip substitutions on the board.<br>
My notes detail the extensive list of Jumper
settings for the successful MC6809 test at
1Mhz.&nbsp; It supersedes the abbreviated list in the
main folder for the board.&nbsp; All of the tools
needed to make the test program, including the
assembler, are in the TOOLS directory in the
Zipfile.<br>
--John<br>
BTW:&nbsp; does anyone have better tools than
Motorola's "AS9.EXE" assembler?<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>
Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
from it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<o:p></o:p></p>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<br>

John Coffman
2014-01-15 07:29:26 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
The "Notes" in "Build &amp; Test" have been update with the fix.&nbsp;
Also, 3 photos<br>
of an easy way to install the fix.<br>

Borut
2014-01-17 22:00:50 UTC
Got the PS2 working. There is some board surgery required, but nothing
complicated.
It requires one cut and two connections. John, can you please add this to
your notes on wiki. I already uploaded the pictures to wiki and also added
a picture of my board.

Bo/
The "Notes" in "Build & Test" have been update with the fix. Also, 3
photos
of an easy way to install the fix.
--John
OK, I will add to the list of the 6x0x changes.
Everyone please remember this is an initial prototype board so shaking out
bugs is perfectly normal.
So far, so good! Thanks and have a nice day!
Andrew Lynch
*On Behalf Of *Borut
Dan Werner
2014-01-26 04:45:25 UTC
Has anyone started work debugging the Prop interface on the 6x0x? I am
having problems with the 6821 interface. It looks to me like the internal
pull up resistors on port A of the 6821 are strong enough that the prop
cannot pull them down to 0 through the 1K resistors (RR2 & RR3). If I
replace the resistors for port A (RR2 & part of RR3) with wires (not the
best idea for the 3.3V prop) it works ok.

So my question to the group is, is there a safe value for RR2 &RR3 that will
work, or should we replace the 6821 with a 6522 (very small hardware
change)?

Thanks!

Dan

Borut
2014-01-26 07:26:21 UTC
Dan,

I have Prop working without a hitch. I tried with 3 different PIAs, 2 by
Motorola and 1 by ST.
One (Motorola) is a 1Mhz part the other two are 2Mhz parts. My 6x0x is
currently running at 2Mhz.
All main prop functions (ps2, vga and sd card) are working.
I just put a preview release of flex9 for 6x0x on n8vem wiki.
There is also a small routine for testing keyboard and vga on prop.

lp,
Bo/
Borut

Dan Werner
2014-01-26 15:33:34 UTC
I have performed the PS/2 fix and it does work well. My problem is the 1k resistors, with them it does not work without them no problems at all. If it is working for you, I suspect I must have a power supply issue (I have some other reasons to believe that the power supply I am using has issues). I will proceed under the impression that the problem is on my end.

At this point I have DOS/65 running on the new board (with the PROP IO) and with any luck will be releasing software today.

Dne ponedeljek, 13. januar 2014 22:14:22 UTC+1 je oseba John Coffman napisala:

[...]

One anomaly in the loading of the MMU map registers has been noted. Specifically, when both TASK and TASK_SETUP registers are 0, map register 14 gets overwritten with the value loaded into register 15. This does not happen when the TASK register is 1 or 31. This is a very odd problem to nail down.

--John

[...]

The orange wire you see at U24 replaces one (LS06) that I am missing. There are also two temporary chip substitutions on the board.

My notes detail the extensive list of Jumper settings for the successful MC6809 test at 1Mhz. It supersedes the abbreviated list in the main folder for the board. All of the tools needed to make the test program, including the assembler, are in the TOOLS directory in the Zipfile.

Ian May
2014-01-31 14:16:10 UTC
I suggest we stop mucking about with "Mickey Mouse" solutions for 5V to
3.3V interfacing and use something made for the job like a SN74LVC244A
http://www.ti.com/product/sn74lvc244a or the SN74LVC245A
http://www.ti.com/product/sn74lvc245a. They run on 3.3V but can tolerate
5.5V on the inputs and both are available in DIP packages. Since the '245
can also be easily wired as a buffer and has a "nicer" pin out it would
probably be the best choice.
Cheers,
Ian.
Post by Dan Werner
I have performed the PS/2 fix and it does work well. My problem is the 1k
resistors, with them it does not work without them no problems at all.
If it is working for you, I suspect I must have a power supply issue (I
have some other reasons to believe that the power supply I am using has
issues). I will proceed under the impression that the problem is on my
end.
At this point I have DOS/65 running on the new board (with the PROP IO)
and with any luck will be releasing software today.
Dan
Of *Borut
Borut
2014-01-31 15:37:47 UTC
Ian,

This subject has been beaten to death and back several times on Parallax
Propeller forums.
Using resistors is the advised way from both Chris Savage and Chip Gracey
both employees by Parallax.
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/85474-How-to-safely-interface-a-5v-signal-to-the-propeller-See-Post-Reply-10
4
Though 1k is supposedly a little low, it should be 2.7K at least, if
incoming voltage is 5V.

Bo/
*Sent:* Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:47 AM
Dan,
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/73165547/ps2_surgery.jpeg
lp, Bo/
Has anyone started work debugging the Prop interface on the 6x0x? I am
having problems with the 6821 interface. It looks to me like the internal
pull up resistors on port A of the 6821 are strong enough that the prop
cannot pull them down to 0 through the 1K resistors (RR2 & RR3). If I
replace the resistors for port A (RR2 & part of RR3) with wires (not the
best idea for the 3.3V prop) it works ok.
So my question to the group is, is there a safe value for RR2 &RR3 that
will work, or should we replace the 6821 with a 6522 (very small hardware
change)?
Thanks!
Dan
Behalf Of *John Coffman
Ian May
2014-02-02 04:54:24 UTC
Hi Borut,
Thanks for the link to the Propeller forum thread. Having read all of it I
feel the need to re-word your statement - "Using resistors is the 'advised'
to 'simplest and cheapest' way". On the sixth page of the thread there is a
post by Chris Savage about application note AN010 that states that the
maximum input current is 500uA. AN010 says that for a 5V input the minimum
series resistor is 4.6k, which from what you have said will never work with
your setup. [The Western Design Center W65C21 data sheet shows equivalent
circuits for the I/O pins. For the W65C21N on the "A" ports a 4k resistor
is shown in series with the pull-up device so one of these could nearly be
connected directly to the Propeller. For the "B" port the resistor is only
400 Ohms so a series resistor will be needed to protect against
"accidents".] The Fairchild 74LCX245 is mentioned in a couple of posts but
it is not available in a DIP. The 74HC4050 is also mentioned but it only
has 6 buffers per package. No one replied to either of these suggestions
with "that won't work".

Initially I thought it would come down to "how valuable is your hobby time
(spent working out what is wrong) versus cost (for a solution that will
definitely work)", but when I checked on Mouser's web page the cheapest 16
pin 1k resistor pack is US$2.35 whilst the SN74LVC245AN costs US$0.60! The
PCB will need room for 4 more pins and power connections. I admit that
there isn't enough space left on the PCB in that area at the moment, so
some adjustment to the layout will be required, but you will end up with a
system that 'just works'.

Cheers,
Ian.
Post by Dan Werner
I have performed the PS/2 fix and it does work well. My problem is the
1k resistors, with them it does not work without them no problems at
all. If it is working for you, I suspect I must have a power supply
issue (I have some other reasons to believe that the power supply I am
using has issues). I will proceed under the impression that the problem
is on my end.
At this point I have DOS/65 running on the new board (with the PROP IO)
and with any luck will be releasing software today.
Dan
Behalf Of *Borut
Borut
2014-02-02 08:31:56 UTC
Ian,

You might be right, i have never used W65C21. I have a stash of 30 years
old 6821 PIAs from a military program and with them i never had a problem.
The resistors i used range between 1k and 2.2k.

Best regards,

Bo/
Dan Werner
2014-01-26 16:45:54 UTC
I just uploaded the DOS/65 quick start “DOS65-6x0x(Colossus)-QUICKSTART” zip file for the new 6x0x board as well as a new source code package for DOS/65 “DOS65-01262014”. I do not yet have the functionality coded for the Real Time Clock, the VIAs (DKSY support), or any ECB Cards but the Prop console, SD card and 6551 serial port are supported.

Dan Werner

Dan Werner
2014-02-02 04:24:54 UTC
I have both the RTC and the ECB bus are both working with the 6x0x board with the 6502. I will be releasing a new version of DOS/65 shortly that has RTC support and support for the V1 disk IO card. At this point I have tested all of the hardware on the board with the 6502 except the MMU (which John has working).

Has anyone tested 6802 support yet?

Dan

Borut
2014-02-02 08:17:37 UTC
Dan, that's great. I also have RTC working with 6809, but i can't test the
ECB bus, because i have no working ECB cards (yet).
I did another modification to the board. I connected PD1 (VIA1 - pin 11) to
connector P5 pin 16 and to pull up RR6 pin 9.
The idea is to be able to switch between using serial port and Prop VGA/PS2
for console with a jumper between
pins 15 and 16 on P5. The same idea as JP1 on a Zeta board.

Bo/
Borut
2014-03-02 22:39:58 UTC
I uploaded a new version of FLEX9 for 6x0x with RTC and Prop VGA&PS2
support to N8VEM site (6x0x_flex9_02032014.zip).
It also has integrated switching between serial and prop console via PD1
pin.

Bo/
Dan Werner
2014-04-14 16:17:22 UTC
I just uploaded a new version of DOS65 (in the ECB Processor boards/ECB 6x0x Host Processor/6502 host Processor folder) that supports the Disk IO V3 card (FDD and HDD) for the new 6x0x(Colossus) board. Note that when this support is in the DOS65 OS the floppy drive must be attached for the system to boot. Because of this I did NOT include this support into the DOS65 quickstart package.

This version should also work with the existing 6x0x host processor, but I have not tested this configuration.

Dan Werner
2014-05-26 00:58:28 UTC
I just uploaded a new version of DOS65 (in the ECB Processor boards/ECB 6x0x Host Processor/6502 host Processor folder). No changes to DOS/65, but the rom monitor has a few bug fixes and enhancements for the new 6x0x(Colossus) board. (not enough ROM space to assemble these features for the original board)

· The code has been changed to convert lower case input to upper case where appropriate

· A mini Disassembler has been added

· A mini Assembler has been added

Paul Birkel
Dan Werner
2014-05-29 14:01:26 UTC
From what I can tell the design is fully tested. With the two patches, I
have used my 6x0x for some time with everything working as designed.

I believe that we have the board layout updated with the patches. Does
anyone know of any reason why we are not ready for a production run?

Dan Werner
Andrew Bingham
2014-05-29 18:06:51 UTC
I am planning on handling this board run and I have a list of people with
quantities for the production run from the interest thread. It comes to >
50 boards.

Andrew L finished the routing, but just after that a question came up about
a ground patch under the SD card slot that was actually a keep-out zone and
needed to be modified. I think I have that dealt with but I need to get
the "ground zones" that cover the whole board created. John let me know
how to do that.

I'll send out emails to everyone on the interest list re-confirming their
interest since it has been a while and we can get the order placed next
week.

Andrew B
From what I can tell the design is fully tested. With the two patches, I
Fabio Battaglia
2014-05-29 19:20:51 UTC
Andrew, great to hear this!
I've been keeping a chassis ready for the 6x0x for months, can't wait to
fill it (In the meantime I'll start building the CVDUs, that board
deserves some graphics) :-)
Post by Andrew Bingham
I am planning on handling this board run and I have a list of people
with quantities for the production run from the interest thread. It
comes to > 50 boards.
Andrew L finished the routing, but just after that a question came up
about a ground patch under the SD card slot that was actually a
keep-out zone and needed to be modified. I think I have that dealt
with but I need to get the "ground zones" that cover the whole board
created. John let me know how to do that.
I'll send out emails to everyone on the interest list re-confirming
their interest since it has been a while and we can get the order
placed next week.
Andrew B
From what I can tell the design is fully tested. With the two
patches, I have used my 6x0x for some time with everything working
as designed.
I believe that we have the board layout updated with the
patches. Does anyone know of any reason why we are not ready for
a production run?
Dan Werner
Curious as to whether we're nearing a production-run? Can
someone please summarize the current state-of-affairs?
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Andrew Lynch
Dan Werner

Andrew Bingham

Dan Werner
2014-06-01 16:58:21 UTC
Cool, thanks!

Kip Koon
2014-01-19 01:43:59 UTC
Hi John,

Have you heard of LWTools for Linux? It's a cross development system
targeting the Motorola 6809 and the Hitachi 6309 MPUs. It has a relocatable
macro-assembler called lwasm, a linker called lwlink and an archiver called
lwar. I'm sure you will find it an interesting software package for
6809/6309 software development. Here's the link to it.

http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/

The Coco community use it to assemble all the NitrOS-9 source code into all
the modules needed to create bootable .dsk images.

They also use a Toolshed command "os9" to create all the NitrOS-9 .dsk
images for the current NitrOS-9 build distributable. Toolshed can be found
at the following link.

http://sourceforge.net/p/toolshed/wiki/Home/

The two packages together create a really impressive cross development
system and .dsk build distribution system. Check them out and see if you
think we can incorporate these packages into the software building efforts
for the new 6x0x PCB. I know it doesn't have any floppy drives or hard
drives yet, but maybe something can be done to build some type of image for
the SD card and eprom software needed to properly take advantage of all the
hardware features this board has to offer.

I'm sure many fundamental changes will be needed in NitrOS-9 to adapt it for
use with the new 6x0x PCB. I'm also tinkering with an idea to adapt the
6809 Extended Basic for the 6-Chip 6809 computer so that it will run on this
board. A link to the 6809 Extended Basic for the 6-Chip 6809 computer is
here.

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/6809/Simple6809.html

If we want to put this on the N8VEM web site, we may need to get permission
from Grant Searle, the creator of the 6-Chip 6809 Computer.

This should keep you busy for a while.

Thank you for posting the notes and the pictures of your test build of the
new 6x0x PCB. I had many questions concerning building this new board which
for the most part have been answered by reading those notes and viewing
those pictures, so now I am able to continue with my test build. I'll let
you all know when I get it finished. I noticed the ATX control section was
not built. The floppy power connector is a simpler way to power the board.
I like that. Lots to do so I will let you go for now. Take care my
friends.

Kip

Borut
2014-01-19 10:57:12 UTC
Hi Kip!

On a quick look LWTools seem to be a very powerful tool but also very
specialized for OS9 development.
What i miss with LWTools is S-record output, at least i didn't find it (but
i didn't spend much time looking).
Most of 6809 assemblers support S-record generated output as does Assist09
monitor and many eprom programmers.
Downloading the code to the board and running it beats burning roms any day
of the week :-).

On the other hand, dsk image files can be used directly with a Propeller.
The way i use them in my FLEX port is to mount them as virtual drives and
6809 doesn't know
that in reality it is reading and writing a file on SD card.
This method is especially suited for FLEX, because FLEX disks have a
description of disk geometry
in sector 2, track 0.
There are utilities for manipulating FLEX dsk images on Flex User Group web
site.
http://www.flexusergroup.com/flexusergroup/fug11.htm

There are a lot of disk images available on the net, some are part of FLEX
emulators
(SWTPCEmu and flexemu) and there is a lot more in fufu archives.

If OS9 images also contain description of disk geometry (the most important
is sectors per track) they could be used the same way.
If not, then geometry of disk image has to be programmed in Propeller code,
which makes it less flexible.

Bo/
George Harris
2014-06-03 02:28:31 UTC