[N8VEM: 18075] open source P112-like clone?
'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
2014-05-17 21:12:52 UTC
Hi

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder
<http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=P112%20clone>
&param=P112%20clone

I put the EDA files for the abandoned P112-like clone board project.

This idea still has merit but I know I won't be pursuing it.

Possibly raise the idea in other hobby computer/classic/vintage places to
see if anyone else is interested.

Good luck. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Nikolay Dimitrov

Sergey
2014-05-18 05:48:28 UTC
I don't remember all the details (you can check P112 page if you're interested), but it was something like this:
- P112 is much more integrated. It uses a super I/O controller IC with floppy disk controller, two serial and one parallel ports.
- It uses an Z80 based microcontroller (Z80182?!). It is faster than the original Z80, and has additional functionality (MMU, serial ports, DMA, interrupt controller, and so that on)
- It has an extension connector, but it is unbuffered, and generally intended to connect to a single extension card (e.g. IDE adapter). While N8VEM has an ECB bus.
- Super I/O and processor are SMD components. Normally P112 kits were sold with these components soldered on the PCB. (I think the super I/O chip was also difficult to obtain, at least in small quantities)
Andrew Bingham
2014-05-18 08:56:57 UTC
I think the Zeta is a good option for people looking for something like the P112, and it is all through hole :)

Andrew
'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
2014-05-18 12:32:55 UTC
Hi

The P112-like clone is different from the original in that it is all through-hole (PTH) *except* for the super IO chip.

It is also two layer and might be worth respinning it as a 4 layer PCB. It has not been tried and the project died.

The super IO chips are still available (UTsource.net) and the board supports multiple variations of the chip.

FDC37C651
FDC37C652
FDC37C665
FDC37C666

If nothing else, were this design built and tested it would serve as a good source of ideas to improve other boards.

I think adding ECB bus would not be too difficult. It is a shame to see it waste away. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch