[N8VEM: 17510] Bus Monitor - SIP Switches/LEDs?
Andrew Bingham
2014-03-05 18:46:05 UTC
All,

I am still thinking in my head about the best way to update the ECB Bus
Monitor board for 24-bit addresses and 16-bit data. I did a schematic
update to add the extra lines while keeping everything else the same.
Several additional 7400 series ICs need to be fit on the board to do this
"simple" update.

I had a lot of fancy ideas for character displays and TFT LCDs such, but
upon reflection the update speed of all of those things is pretty limited
which I think might decrease the usefulness of the bus monitor. So I'm
kind of setting that aside for now, in favor of the simpler update. Also
this is the first board revision I've tried to do on my own.

What are peoples thoughts about going to SIP switches and SIP LED bars on a
revision of the Bus Monitor? This would free up space for the additional
ICs needed to handle the extra channels.

Something like:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SSA-LXH1025ID/67-1205-ND/144753
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SPA08B/CKN9444-ND/1920060

I'd still like to have some update ready to use in my ECB build.

Andrew B
Andrew Lynch
2014-03-10 00:18:40 UTC
Hi

You can add useful PCB space by using the “sandwich board” approach like the ECB uPD7220 GDC board.

Two layers of ECB sized boards with about 1 cm standoffs.

It works fairly well. Alternatively use the new ATX-6U format of the 6x0x.

You won’t be able to get active displays that are as fast real time as the LED bars.

Its physics my friend. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Kip Koon
2014-03-10 09:58:21 UTC
Hi Andrew!

I’d like to see a 6U sized Bus Monitor so there is plenty of space to put some type of Hexidecimal readouts as well as LEDs or LED bars in addition to whatever else you are planning. So, put me down for one. :) I’d like to use it as a front panel. Maybe it could have some setup of toggle switches similar to the Altair front panel except appropriately designed for the ECB bus and its future capabilities. If the front panel switches are too much, that’s ok, I’ll just design my own front panel. In any event, have fun with the design! If you need to brainstorm, let me know. Take care my friend.

Kip