[N8VEM: 16662] PT68k / SK* DOS
Borut
2013-12-11 18:42:43 UTC
Hi!

I would like to port SK* DOS to a homemade
hardware based on 68340 processor. In the next step i will try porting
minix to the same
hardware, but SK* DOS would be a stepping stone, since it supports the
cc68k compiler.
SK* DOS sources, manuals and some utilities (but not all) are published at
Peter Stark's web site.
There are disk images with some software in pt68k archive, but again, no
system utilities like
DELETE are there.
I tried contacting Mr. Stark via email, but got no response.
Can anyone here help me with these, either with an image file of SK* DOS
system disk or with missing utilities?

Borut
Al Kossow
2013-12-14 18:22:31 UTC
Post by Borut
Hi!
Can anyone here help me with these, either with an image file of SK* DOS
system disk or with missing utilities?
Borut
I've put everything I have on my PT68K, which had SK* DOS with it, to

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/peripheralTechnology and
http://bitsavers.org/bits/PeripheralTechnology

the flex format 5" disks look like they have the binaries on them

it may take a few hours for the new directories to propagate out to the
mirrors.
Borut
2013-12-14 20:17:54 UTC
That's great Al! Thanks a lot!
Can you please post here a short description of disks?
I guess sk*.imd are skdos disks, but what about others?

Bo/
Post by Al Kossow
Hi!
Al Kossow
2013-12-17 01:53:18 UTC
I've added a zip of scans of all the floppy labels to the directory.
Borut
2013-12-18 09:02:20 UTC
Al,
Thanks a lot.

Bo/
Al Kossow
2014-01-23 18:17:24 UTC
Post by Al Kossow
I've added a zip of scans of all the floppy labels to the directory.
Someone is working on emulating the PT68K4 in MESS, and he discovered that
these
disks are actually for the Hawthorn Technologies HT68K board
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/ht68k.htm
Kip Koon
2013-12-15 09:31:01 UTC
Hi Al!

I have been interested in studying SK*DOS for a while, but until now I never
had anything to work with. I have been looking for this software for this
computer for a while. Are any boards still available? Now I can do a
little exploring in the 68K OS-9 platform SK*DOS style. :) Thanks a bunch.

Borut
2013-12-15 12:30:02 UTC
Hi Kip!

i think there are some bare boards still available from Peripheral
Technologies, but which exact type is a good question.
The board i have is not a PT board, but my own design from years past,
based on 68340 and upgraded last year
with Propeller I/O subsystem much like the one on new 6x0X board or Zeta
ParPortProp.
There was a prototype P1 with 68360 as a starter to N8VEM 68040 machine,
but that sort of didn't work out
if i understand Andrew and Dave correctly.
68360 is an interesting device, since it contains a lot of glue logic
(programmable chip selects, wait state generators, dynamic bus sizing,
serial ports...).
It contains CPU32 and can access whole 32 bit bus with a limitation that
the upper 8 address bits are shared with chip select logic.
It means there is 16 Mb address space if you utilize the all 8 cs lines..

My interest in PT68K and SK* DOS since Peter Stark published the source and
some utilities is that there existed a Minix
port for PT68k. This port was compiled utilizing CC68K (a public C
compiler) under SK* DOS.
The minix sources are in PT68k archive together with a lot of public
software for PT68k.
I still have Andrew Tanenbaum's book somewhere and i had a Minix licence
for PC.
AFAIK Linux supports reading and writing minix formatted disks.
So there is a good chance that it would be possible to port MINIX to
another 68k board.

Maybe if there were enough people interested, there could be a N8VEM 68360
board, similar to recent designs, with propeller i/o subsystem etc.
running SK* DOS and/or Minix.

Bo/
Kip Koon
2013-12-16 07:49:12 UTC
Hi Borut!

I must say that all sounds very interesting indeed. I will keep all this
information handy. I'd like to build a 68xxx SBC computer someday. I just
looked up the 68360 and it does look very interesting. So does it truly
have a 68060 cpu core in the 68360? I just scanned a document about the
68360 very briefly. Thanks a bunch my friend and take care.

Borut
2013-12-16 17:21:57 UTC
Kip,

The processor core in 68360 is not from 68060.
It is cpu32, which is somewhere in the range of 68010-68020. What makes it nice is all the additional stuff besides the core - peripherals and glue logic.
There is also a mode where the internal core is switched off and 68360 functions as a peripheral for 68040 but that is another story.

Bo/