[N8VEM: 18617] Is Propeller 1 dead?
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-09-02 05:06:42 UTC
Hi guys,

Just saw that Farnell doesn't offer anymore the P8X32A mcu. Do you know
anything about this? My gut feeling is that all good parts die first.
Let's hope I'm wrong this time.

Regards,
Nikolay
James Moxham
2014-09-02 06:13:53 UTC
Good news - the propeller chip is still around. I've bought them directly
from Parallax in the past. They also just made it open source
http://www.parallax.com/microcontrollers/propeller-1-open-source
and while it is a bit more expensive now, the costs of fpga chips will
come down. So because it is all open source, the propeller will never die
:)
I'm having a lot of fun with a Z80 emulation on a $15 FPGA, and there are
$50 FPGA chips that could potentially do both a propeller and a Z80 system
all on the same chip.

Cheers, James Moxham
Nikolay
Andrew Bingham
2014-09-02 07:26:18 UTC
Parallax has not made any announcement to this effect at all, so I think
it's just an issue with Farnell. Parallax has always said they intend to
support Propeller for 10+ years beyond "now"....

In fact since their first version of "Propeller 2" failed (too much power
draw when converted from FPGA to ASIC) they are working on a "new"
"Propeller 2" that is almost done that is based more closely on Propeller
1. That is nearly close to having the design done and ready for testing in
FPGA.

In addition the original Propeller 1 Verilog has been released Open Source
- allowing for more cogs, more IO pins, etc in FPGA form.

So I think it's safe to say Propeller is here to stay.

Andrew
Alan Cox