[N8VEM: 19036] New to the mini-68k question
Richard Cini
2014-12-07 19:49:39 UTC
All ‹

I just finished building the mini-68k board and I love when things work
right off the bat. It¹s a very nice 2-board setup.

Anyway, I prepared a 32mb CF card for the PPIDE attached to it, using a
partition tool to change it to type 0x52 (CP/M); it works fine. CP/M and
INIT wouldn¹t recognize a freshly formatted card unless I changed the
partition type. I forget what the original type was, maybe 0x0D.

Now that the card isn¹t readable by Windows, how are people getting
programs, etc., into the CP/M environment? I don¹t see an xmodem program on
the ROM drive. PIP (such as "pip file.ext=CON:²) to transfer HEX files?

Thanks!

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
2014-12-07 20:40:06 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Rich,<br>
Have you noted that the BIOS can load and execute stand-alone
programs from a FAT16 filesystem on a CF card.&nbsp; A CF card with
Partition 1 = FAT16 (0x06) and Partition 2 = CP/M (0x52) is a useful
tool.&nbsp; It is easy to make under Linux.&nbsp; I'm not sure how to go about
it with DOS or Windows.<br>
The main thing to find is a good repository of CP/M-68 utility
programs to put into the ROM image.&nbsp; I found very few utilities in
my web searches.&nbsp; Xmodem was not found.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/07/2014 11:49 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
just finished building the mini-68k board and I love when
things work right off the bat. It&#8217;s a very nice 2-board
setup.</div>
I prepared a 32mb CF card for the PPIDE attached to it,
using a partition tool to change it to type 0x52 (CP/M); it
works fine. CP/M and INIT wouldn&#8217;t recognize a freshly
formatted card unless I changed the partition type. I forget
what the original type was, maybe 0x0D.</div>
that the card isn&#8217;t readable by Windows, how are people
getting programs, etc., into the CP/M environment? I don&#8217;t
see an xmodem program on the ROM drive. PIP (such as "pip
file.ext=CON:&#8221;) to transfer HEX files?</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Richard Cini
2014-12-07 20:48:25 UTC
I think the original Partition ID might have been the problem. I have a 128mb card floating around so let me re-partition it into 2x64mb partitions and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
Have you noted that the BIOS can load and execute stand-alone programs from a FAT16 filesystem on a CF card. A CF card with Partition 1 = FAT16 (0x06) and Partition 2 = CP/M (0x52) is a useful tool. It is easy to make under Linux. I'm not sure how to go about it with DOS or Windows.
The main thing to find is a good repository of CP/M-68 utility programs to put into the ROM image. I found very few utilities in my web searches. Xmodem was not found.
--John
All —
I just finished building the mini-68k board and I love when things work right off the bat. It’s a very nice 2-board setup.
Anyway, I prepared a 32mb CF card for the PPIDE attached to it, using a partition tool to change it to type 0x52 (CP/M); it works fine. CP/M and INIT wouldn’t recognize a freshly formatted card unless I changed the partition type. I forget what the original type was, maybe 0x0D.
Now that the card isn’t readable by Windows, how are people getting programs, etc., into the CP/M environment? I don’t see an xmodem program on the ROM drive. PIP (such as "pip file.ext=CON:”) to transfer HEX files?
Thanks!
Rich
Richard Cini
2014-12-07 21:37:53 UTC
John ‹

Ok, I just took a 128mb CF card and using a partitioning tool (MiniTool
Partition Wizard), I created two partitions of roughly 62mb each. Partition
1 is FAT16, type 0x06, primary, active. Partition 2 is unformatted, type
0x52, logical. The POST correctly identifies the CF card.

CP/M doesn¹t seem to like this setup ‹ I get ³Select Error² errors when
trying to INIT either C, D, or E. Should I stay to a specific partition size
limit?

Rich

Max Scane
2014-12-07 22:00:30 UTC
I would suggest that you create the CP/M partition as a "Primary" partition.

Also remember that Windows needs to have its own partition as the first one.

Cheers!

Max
John —
Ok, I just took a 128mb CF card and using a partitioning tool (MiniTool
Partition Wizard), I created two partitions of roughly 62mb each. Partition
1 is FAT16, type 0x06, primary, active. Partition 2 is unformatted, type
0x52, logical. The POST correctly identifies the CF card.
CP/M doesn’t seem to like this setup — I get “Select Error” errors when
Richard Cini
2014-12-07 23:21:24 UTC
Thanks Max. Still no go unfortunately.

I changed the layout slightly so that the CP/M partitions are smaller than
32mb. So, in partition order, I have a 64mb MSDOS partition (FAT16, primary,
active, ID 0x06), a 32mb partition (unformatted, primary, active, ID 0x52)
and 32mb partition (unformatted, primary, ID 0x52).

When I try to INIT the unformatted partitions, or change to the FAT16
partition, I get a ³Select Error².

It¹s been a very long while, but I seem to remember that someone on-list
wrote a Windows partitioning program specifically for doing this kind of
thing. I could be wrong, though.

Rich

2014-12-08 00:55:47 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Rich,<br>
What you are doing, as long as the partitions are primary, is
exactly what I did to get CP/M-68 to talk to partitions up to
512Mb.&nbsp; The large size doesn't do you too much good, because the
allocation size gets so big as to waste a lot of space.<br>
Windows and all consumers of CF &amp; SD cards require that the
first partition be FAT16/32, depending upon the size of the card.&nbsp;
They never look at partitions other than the first.&nbsp; It is assumed
that the card is a single partition.&nbsp; It does not matter where that
first partition is located; that is why the RomWBW partitioning
scheme works, where there are no indications that there are
partitions, but they are at absolute locations.<br>
At the time I did the Mini-68K BIOS, I knew little about Wayne's
partitioning scheme; hence, it never made it into the CP/M-68 port.<br>
With Big/Little Endian to support, somebody has to do byte/word
swapping.&nbsp; In order for a 68000 to read a DOS filesystem, byte
swapping is required to read filesystem int16's &amp; int32's.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/07/2014 03:21 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
are smaller than 32mb. So, in partition order, I have a 64mb
MSDOS partition (FAT16, primary, active, ID 0x06), a 32mb
partition (unformatted, primary, active, ID 0x52) and 32mb
partition (unformatted, primary, ID 0x52).&nbsp;</div>
to the FAT16 partition, I get a &#8220;Select Error&#8221;.&nbsp;</div>
someone on-list wrote a Windows partitioning program
specifically for doing this kind of thing. I could be wrong,
though.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> Max
Scane &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
December 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
19042] New to the mini-68k question<br>
partition as a "Primary" partition.
partition as the first one.</div>
Richard Cini <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@verizon.net" target="_blank">***@verizon.net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif;">
I just took a 128mb CF card and using a partitioning
tool (MiniTool Partition Wizard), I created two
partitions of roughly 62mb each. Partition 1 is
FAT16, type 0x06, primary, active. Partition 2 is
unformatted, type 0x52, logical. The POST correctly
identifies the CF card.</div>
doesn&#8217;t seem to like this setup &#8212; I get &#8220;Select
Error&#8221; errors when trying to INIT either C, D, or E.
Should I stay to a specific partition size limit?</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
text-align: left; color: black; border-width: 1pt
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223) -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;"><span
style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> John
Coffman &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Re: [N8VEM: 19037] New to the mini-68k question<br>
Have you noted that the BIOS can load and
execute stand-alone programs from a FAT16
filesystem on a CF card.&nbsp; A CF card with
Partition 1 = FAT16 (0x06) and Partition 2 =
CP/M (0x52) is a useful tool.&nbsp; It is easy to
make under Linux.&nbsp; I'm not sure how to go
about it with DOS or Windows.<br>
The main thing to find is a good repository of
CP/M-68 utility programs to put into the ROM
image.&nbsp; I found very few utilities in my web
searches.&nbsp; Xmodem was not found.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/07/2014 11:49 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
pre-wrap;"> </span>I just finished
building the mini-68k board and I love
when things work right off the bat.
It&#8217;s a very nice 2-board setup.</div>
pre-wrap;"> </span>Anyway, I
prepared a 32mb CF card for the PPIDE
attached to it, using a partition tool
to change it to type 0x52 (CP/M); it
works fine. CP/M and INIT wouldn&#8217;t
recognize a freshly formatted card
unless I changed the partition type. I
forget what the original type was,
maybe 0x0D.</div>
pre-wrap;"> </span>Now that the
card isn&#8217;t readable by Windows, how
are people getting programs, etc.,
into the CP/M environment? I don&#8217;t see
an xmodem program on the ROM drive.
PIP (such as "pip file.ext=CON:&#8221;) to
transfer HEX files?</div>
Altair32 Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM"
target="_blank">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com" target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem"
target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout"
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
-- <br>
Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"

Richard Cini
2014-12-08 01:31:44 UTC
John,

Ok, I guess I¹m on the right track. Maybe I¹ll start from scratch on that
same card and see if I can get it to work.

Which partition corresponds to the CP/M C drive ‹ the Windows partition or
the first CP/M partition?

Rich

From: John Coffman <***@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19045] New to the mini-68k question

Rich,

What you are doing, as long as the partitions are primary, is exactly what
I did to get CP/M-68 to talk to partitions up to 512Mb. The large size
doesn't do you too much good, because the allocation size gets so big as to
waste a lot of space.

Windows and all consumers of CF & SD cards require that the first partition
be FAT16/32, depending upon the size of the card. They never look at
partitions other than the first. It is assumed that the card is a single
partition. It does not matter where that first partition is located; that
is why the RomWBW partitioning scheme works, where there are no indications
that there are partitions, but they are at absolute locations.

At the time I did the Mini-68K BIOS, I knew little about Wayne's
partitioning scheme; hence, it never made it into the CP/M-68 port.

With Big/Little Endian to support, somebody has to do byte/word swapping.
In order for a 68000 to read a DOS filesystem, byte swapping is required to
read filesystem int16's & int32's.

--John
2014-12-08 07:18:56 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
On 12/07/2014 05:31 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
I guess I&#8217;m on the right track. Maybe I&#8217;ll start from
scratch on that same card and see if I can get it to work.</div>
partition corresponds to the CP/M C drive &#8212; the Windows
partition or the first CP/M partition?</div>
CP/M-68 only looks at primary partitions of type 0x52, any or all of
partitions 1..4.&nbsp; Units are assigned in the order it finds the 0x52
partition type.&nbsp; Any DOS/Win partition is completely ignored.<br>
What may be confusing, is that the BIOS looks for DOS/Win
partitions, will list the directories (8.3 format), and will allow
you to boot a program in Supervisor or User Mode.&nbsp; This was the
method used in debugging new compiles of CP/M when it was under
rapid development.&nbsp; Swapping CF cards is a lot faster than erasing
and reprogramming ROMs.<br>
--John<br>
type="cite">
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> John
Coffman &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
December 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
19045] New to the mini-68k question<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>

Richard Cini
2014-12-08 11:23:59 UTC
Thanks John. I tried several combinations of sizes and cards and I'm not having much success getting a card with mixed partitions to work. Maybe I have to zero the card totally and start from scratch or try partitioning it on my Mac instead.

I'm not sure why I can't get this working but it's not the worst thing. As Borut mentioned in another message, maybe I have to get familiar with cpmtools and use that for file transfer.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone
John,
Ok, I guess I’m on the right track. Maybe I’ll start from scratch on that same card and see if I can get it to work.
Which partition corresponds to the CP/M C drive — the Windows partition or the first CP/M partition?
CP/M-68 only looks at primary partitions of type 0x52, any or all of partitions 1..4. Units are assigned in the order it finds the 0x52 partition type. Any DOS/Win partition is completely ignored.
What may be confusing, is that the BIOS looks for DOS/Win partitions, will list the directories (8.3 format), and will allow you to boot a program in Supervisor or User Mode. This was the method used in debugging new compiles of CP/M when it was under rapid development. Swapping CF cards is a lot faster than erasing and reprogramming ROMs.
--John
Date: Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Rich,
What you are doing, as long as the partitions are primary, is exactly what I did to get CP/M-68 to talk to partitions up to 512Mb. The large size doesn't do you too much good, because the allocation size gets so big as to waste a lot of space.
Windows and all consumers of CF & SD cards require that the first partition be FAT16/32, depending upon the size of the card. They never look at partitions other than the first. It is assumed that the card is a single partition. It does not matter where that first partition is located; that is why the RomWBW partitioning scheme works, where there are no indications that there are partitions, but they are at absolute locations.
At the time I did the Mini-68K BIOS, I knew little about Wayne's partitioning scheme; hence, it never made it into the CP/M-68 port.
With Big/Little Endian to support, somebody has to do byte/word swapping. In order for a 68000 to read a DOS filesystem, byte swapping is required to read filesystem int16's & int32's.
--John
2014-12-08 15:04:36 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
Can you read the card at all?&nbsp; I'm using BIOS version 0.9 of
22-Jan-2012.<br>
64Mb CF card on the PPIDE port of the MF/PIC board.&nbsp; Jumpers (L to
R, board vertical): on,on,off,on (0x40, top to bottom, card on its
side).<br>
In the BIOS setup, the base device of the PPIDE port is (44).&nbsp; Boot
devices, first and second, are C, A.<br>
The CF card has a DOS partition 1, and a CP/M-68 partition 0x52 as
the second.&nbsp; There are 3 other 0x52 partitions in the DOS extended
partition, but extended partitions are not looked at.&nbsp; The CP/M
partition is 16Mb.<br>
The BIOS comes up with a directory listing of the DOS partition.&nbsp;
Hitting "C" boots CP/M-68 from ROM.&nbsp; Typing the entire filename
(8.3) will execute any of the 68000 programs in the DOS partition,
in either User or Supervisor mode (your choice).<br>
Booting CP/M-68 from ROM, I have 149 files on the CF card.&nbsp; No
Xmodem, but there is an XFER86.68K binary.&nbsp; I don't know what it
does.&nbsp; Using 'stat' I have the following:<br>
B: RW, FREE SPACE:&nbsp; 1,010K<br>
C: RW, FREE SPACE:&nbsp; 5,556K<br>
F: RW, FREE SPACE:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 44K<br>
B is RAMdisk, C is CF primary partition, F is ROMdisk.<br>
I know the CF card was partitioned under Linux; 'fdisk' can set
partition types.&nbsp; The DOS partition was formatted with Windoze 2K,
and the 0x52 partition was probably Init'ed with F:INIT.68K, and
then cpmtools' parameters were adjusted so that the directory could
be filled with utilities, more likely from DOS 5.0.&nbsp; [The old
Windoze machine can dual boot.]<br>
With all the programs on the CF card, I'd sure like a user manual to
know what they do.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/08/2014 03:23 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:A5446489-9891-48D7-9718-***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
and I'm not having much success getting a card with mixed
partitions to work. Maybe I have to zero the card totally and
start from scratch or try partitioning it on my Mac instead.&nbsp;</div>
worst thing. As Borut mentioned in another message, maybe I have
to get familiar with cpmtools and use that for file transfer.&nbsp;</div>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 8, 2014, at 2:18 AM, John Coffman &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
On 12/07/2014 05:31 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
pre;"> </span>Ok, I guess I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;m on the right track.
Maybe I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ll start from scratch on that same card and
see if I can get it to work.</div>
pre;"> </span>Which partition corresponds to the
CP/M C drive &acirc;&#8364;&#8221; the Windows partition or the first
[...]
text-align: left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium
medium; border-style: solid none none; border-color:
rgb(181, 196, 223) -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;"><span
style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> John Coffman
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
December 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
[N8VEM: 19045] New to the mini-68k question<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
[...]
cite="mid:D0AA496E.E337%***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
from it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"

Richard Cini
2014-12-08 15:47:35 UTC
John --

Sorry, I should have been more precise. The PIC board with the PPIDE card works fine and I can access the CF card subject to the below. The BIOS identifies the card as:

C: CF CARD

The only way CP/M can access the card, however, is if the first partition is of type 0x52 and set to primary. No combination of multiple Windows (type 0x06) and CP/M partitions seems to work. Right now I have a 32mb CP/M-only card and was trying to partition a 128mb card into a 64mb windows partition and two 32mb CP/M partitions.

Again I'm using a windows based partitioning tool. I may try to wipe the card and start over.

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
Can you read the card at all? I'm using BIOS version 0.9 of 22-Jan-2012.
64Mb CF card on the PPIDE port of the MF/PIC board. Jumpers (L to R, board vertical): on,on,off,on (0x40, top to bottom, card on its side).
In the BIOS setup, the base device of the PPIDE port is (44). Boot devices, first and second, are C, A.
The CF card has a DOS partition 1, and a CP/M-68 partition 0x52 as the second. There are 3 other 0x52 partitions in the DOS extended partition, but extended partitions are not looked at. The CP/M partition is 16Mb.
The BIOS comes up with a directory listing of the DOS partition. Hitting "C" boots CP/M-68 from ROM. Typing the entire filename (8.3) will execute any of the 68000 programs in the DOS partition, in either User or Supervisor mode (your choice).
B: RW, FREE SPACE: 1,010K
C: RW, FREE SPACE: 5,556K
F: RW, FREE SPACE: 44K
B is RAMdisk, C is CF primary partition, F is ROMdisk.
I know the CF card was partitioned under Linux; 'fdisk' can set partition types. The DOS partition was formatted with Windoze 2K, and the 0x52 partition was probably Init'ed with F:INIT.68K, and Rich,
[...]
I know the CF card was partitioned under Linux; 'fdisk' can set partition types. The DOS partition was formatted with Windoze 2K, and the 0x52 partition was probably Init'ed with F:INIT.68K, and then cpmtools' parameters were adjusted so that the directory could be filled with utilities, more likely from DOS 5.0. [The old Windoze machine can dual boot.]
2014-12-08 16:17:03 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Rich,<br>
Here is the format of the 64Mb SanDisk card:<br>
LILO version 22.7.3, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger<br>
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman<br>
Released 11-Aug-2006 and compiled at 20:26:28 on Aug 11 2006.<br>
&nbsp;vol-ID: 71698E5A<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Type&nbsp; Boot&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Start&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; End&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sector&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #sectors<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; FAT16_lba&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 128:0:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 244:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65536&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 59904<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; WIN extended&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 32:0:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 127:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
16384&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 49152<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0x52&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0:1:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 31:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 16352<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ** empty **<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0x52&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 32:1:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 63:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 16352<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0x52&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 64:1:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 95:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 16352<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0x52&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 96:1:1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 127:15:32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 16352<br>
Note that the FAT partition is first in the PT, but actually located
high on the card.<br>
The CP/M partition is #3 in the PT, and is located at the start of
the card, making the parameters for 'cpmtools' a little easier to
figure out.&nbsp; 'cpmtools' works in absolute sector addresses.<br>
I hope this helps.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/08/2014 07:47 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:6416E6A4-67AC-49ED-8E1F-***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
the PPIDE card works fine and I can access the CF card subject
to the below. The BIOS identifies the card as:</div>
first partition is of type 0x52 and set to primary. No
combination of multiple Windows (type 0x06) and CP/M partitions
seems to work. Right now I have a 32mb CP/M-only card and was
trying to partition a 128mb card into a 64mb windows partition
and two 32mb CP/M partitions.&nbsp;</div>
to wipe the card and start over.&nbsp;</div>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 8, 2014, at 10:04 AM, John Coffman &lt;<a
[...]
my Mac instead.&nbsp;</div>
the worst thing. As Borut mentioned in another message,
maybe I have to get familiar with cpmtools and use that
for file transfer.&nbsp;</div>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 8, 2014, at 2:18 AM, John Coffman &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;

wrote:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
On 12/07/2014 05:31 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:D0AA6932.E370%***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
style="white-space: pre;"> </span>Ok, I guess
I&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&acirc;&#8222;&cent;m on the right track. Maybe I&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&acirc;&#8222;&cent;ll
start from scratch on that same card and see if
I can get it to work.</div>
style="white-space: pre;"> </span>Which
partition corresponds to the CP/M C drive
&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&acirc;&#8364;&#157; the Windows partition or the first CP/M
[...]
Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Re: [N8VEM: 19045] New to the mini-68k question<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>

John Coffman
2014-12-08 16:37:20 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Rich,<br>
If you are using the Mini-68K rev. 2.0-007 board, the memory
protection mechanism may be getting in your way.&nbsp; I have my 2.0-007
card set for backward compatibility with the 1.0 card; viz.,<br>
New, protection mechanism <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J10 OFF&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; no /BERR generated<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J7&nbsp; ON&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; protect 1k<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J8&nbsp; ON&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; protect 1k<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J9&nbsp; OFF&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; version 1 compatible; disable low memory
protection<br>
New, but not part of protection mechanism:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J5&nbsp; 1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; N8VEM legacy Reset<br>
Old V1 jumpers:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J1&nbsp; 1-2 &amp; 3-4&nbsp;&nbsp; Flash ROM<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; j3&nbsp; 1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fast memory<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; j2&nbsp; 1-3 &amp; 2-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fast I/O<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; J4&nbsp; OFF&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1mB EXTERNAL MEMORY (but none installed)<br>

Richard Cini
2014-12-08 16:51:39 UTC
John-- without looking at the board I can tell you I don't have the jumpers exactly the same, especially the protect 1k and the wait states.

Let me look later and try it again.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
If you are using the Mini-68K rev. 2.0-007 board, the memory protection mechanism may be getting in your way. I have my 2.0-007 card set for backward compatibility with the 1.0 card; viz.,
New, protection mechanism
J10 OFF no /BERR generated
J7 ON protect 1k
J8 ON protect 1k
J9 OFF version 1 compatible; disable low memory protection
J5 1-2 N8VEM legacy Reset
J1 1-2 & 3-4 Flash ROM
j3 1-2 fast memory
j2 1-3 & 2-4 fast I/O
J4 OFF 1mB EXTERNAL MEMORY (but none installed)
--John
Rich,
If you are using the Mini-68K rev. 2.0-007 board, the memory protection mechanism may be getting in your way. I have my 2.0-007 card set for backward compatibility with the 1.0 card; viz.,
New, protection mechanism
J10 OFF no /BERR generated
J7 ON protect 1k
J8 ON protect 1k
J9 OFF version 1 compatible; disable low memory protection
J5 1-2 N8VEM legacy Reset
J1 1-2 & 3-4 Flash ROM
j3 1-2 fast memory
j2 1-3 & 2-4 fast I/O
J4 OFF 1mB EXTERNAL MEMORY (but none installed)
--John
John --
Richard Cini
2014-12-09 02:37:38 UTC
John ‹

Ok, I definitely had the memory protect and WS jumpers wrong, so I changed
those. I took the 128mb Viking card and repartitioned it into 4x32mb
partitions, the first being a Windows (0x06) partition. The second is a
FAT16 partition that I changed the type to 0x52. The other two were
³unformatted² partitions of type 0x52. The BIOS POST identifies the card as
³C: SCF128MMA² but I get the same ³Select Error² message when I try to init
any partition.

I¹m going to get a 64mb SanDisk card from eBay and see if that makes a
difference. Right now at least I have a single 32mb card that works, so I
can play with that for a while. More to come. Thanks guys!

Rich

Edward Snider
2014-12-10 03:55:37 UTC
Rich,

If you find a way to transfer files to and from the mini-68k easily, post
here or email me. I ran into the same issue, partition type 52
working just fine with cp/m from the rom (formatting, copying files, etc.).
However I could not find an xmodem type program, to build into
the rom image and then use serial transfers from there, or a way to
transfer directly with a pc to the CF card.

I'd like to write some software for it, but with no easy transfer method, I
set it aside for a while.

Nice computer, wish there was a serial transfer program in the ROM. That
would make things so easy.

- Ed
John —
Ok, I definitely had the memory protect and WS jumpers wrong, so I changed
those. I took the 128mb Viking card and repartitioned it into 4x32mb
partitions, the first being a Windows (0x06) partition. The second is a
FAT16 partition that I changed the type to 0x52. The other two were
“unformatted” partitions of type 0x52. The BIOS POST identifies the card as
“C: SCF128MMA” but I get the same “Select Error” message when I try to
init any partition.
I’m going to get a 64mb SanDisk card from eBay and see if that makes a
Richard Cini
2014-12-10 11:18:53 UTC
Will do, Ed. The Z80 sbc (the original) comes with an xmodem program which I found very handy. Kermit in-rom might be an option but I need to look into that. I also have a "Hawthorne 68k" machine at home -- I need to look at what programs it had.

The best thing about that board was that it used the DOS FAT format for its floppy disks so it was easy to transfer files.

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
If you find a way to transfer files to and from the mini-68k easily, post here or email me. I ran into the same issue, partition type 52
working just fine with cp/m from the rom (formatting, copying files, etc.). However I could not find an xmodem type program, to build into
the rom image and then use serial transfers from there, or a way to transfer directly with a pc to the CF card.
I'd like to write some software for it, but with no easy transfer method, I set it aside for a while.
Nice computer, wish there was a serial transfer program in the ROM. That would make things so easy.
- Ed
John —
Ok, I definitely had the memory protect and WS jumpers wrong, so I changed those. I took the 128mb Viking card and repartitioned it into 4x32mb partitions, the first being a Windows (0x06) partition. The second is a FAT16 partition that I changed the type to 0x52. The other two were “unformatted” partitions of type 0x52. The BIOS POST identifies the card as “C: SCF128MMA” but I get the same “Select Error” message when I try to init any partition.
I’m going to get a 64mb SanDisk card from eBay and see if that makes a difference. Right now at least I have a single 32mb card that works, so I can play with that for a while. More to come. Thanks guys!
Rich
2014-12-10 17:02:46 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Rich,<br>
Ed,<br>
RE:&nbsp; file transfer<br>
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M filesystem that CP/M-68
can read.&nbsp; I think I have run into the same problem trying to port
Minix to the Mini-68K; the Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible
with the IBM PC Minix filesystem.<br>
The problem is swapped bytes; i.e., big endian vs. little endian.&nbsp;
In Minix, inode numbers are byte swapped, as well as disk sector
numbers.&nbsp; I'm betting that CP/M (little endian: Z80, Intel) and
CP/M-68 (big-endian) have the same issue.<br>
When Will and I were working on the UNA bios (he on CP/M), he
suggested that BIOS support for the DOS FAT filesystem would be a
good idea.&nbsp; It looks like his assessment is right on the mark.<br>
The "read-only" FAT12/16 codes are in the Mini-68K bios setup
(pre-CP/M booting) and also the UNA-bios, again (pre-CP/M booting).&nbsp;
However, the utility, as currently implemented, cannot write to a
CP/M filesystem.<br>
===========================================================<br>
FAT12/16/32 is well understood, and I also know that writing to the
fs correctly is a lot more complicated than reading it.&nbsp; The good
thing about FAT is that it has a "superblock," which has all the fs
parameters needed.&nbsp; CP/M is a devil of a fs, since there is no
superblock ANYWHERE.&nbsp; Correctly attaching to a CP/M fs for reading
or writing is often a matter of hit and miss.&nbsp; Anyone who has had to
configure the 'cpmtools' configuration file knows the problem.<br>
===========================================================<br>
--John<br>
On 12/10/2014 03:18 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
cite="mid:4B2E7848-42ED-432F-8C91-***@verizon.net"
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
program which I found very handy. &nbsp;Kermit in-rom might be an
option but I need to look into that. I also have a "Hawthorne
68k" machine at home -- I need to look at what programs it had.&nbsp;</div>
format for its floppy disks so it was easy to transfer files.&nbsp;<br>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 9, 2014, at 10:55 PM, Edward Snider &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
mini-68k easily, post here or email me. &nbsp;I ran into the
same issue, partition type 52</div>
copying files, etc.). &nbsp;However I could not find an xmodem
type program, to build into</div>
or a way to transfer directly with a pc to the CF card.</div>
easy transfer method, I set it aside for a while.</div>
in the ROM. &nbsp;That would make things so easy.</div>
AltairManRich wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif;">
I definitely had the memory protect and WS
jumpers wrong, so I changed those. I took the
128mb Viking card and repartitioned it into
4x32mb partitions, the first being a Windows
(0x06) partition. The second is a FAT16
partition that I changed the type to 0x52. The
other two were &acirc;&#8364;&#339;unformatted&acirc;&#8364;&#157; partitions of
type 0x52. The BIOS POST identifies the card as
&acirc;&#8364;&#339;C: &nbsp;SCF128MMA&acirc;&#8364;&#157; but I get the same &acirc;&#8364;&#339;Select
Error&acirc;&#8364;&#157; message when I try to init any
partition.</div>
going to get a 64mb SanDisk card from eBay and
see if that makes a difference. Right now at
least I have a single 32mb card that works, so I
can play with that for a while. More to come.
Thanks guys!</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank"
onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classiccmp.org%2Fcini\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGXtDL7y4ngZp244dZIb83fCeWgaA';return
true;"
onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classiccmp.org%2Fcini\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGXtDL7y4ngZp244dZIb83fCeWgaA';return
true;">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank"
onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classiccmp.org%2Faltair32\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFyJ47xzYF1nIfjKzBFHbgN7JGzBw';return
true;"
onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classiccmp.org%2Faltair32\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFyJ47xzYF1nIfjKzBFHbgN7JGzBw';return
text-align: left; color: black; border-width: 1pt
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223)
-moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding:
3pt 0in 0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From:
href="javascript:" target="_blank"
gdf-obfuscated-mailto="T8Q10fWy5UIJ"
onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return
true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return
true;">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="javascript:" target="_blank"
gdf-obfuscated-mailto="T8Q10fWy5UIJ"
onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return
true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return
true;">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="javascript:" target="_blank"
gdf-obfuscated-mailto="T8Q10fWy5UIJ"
onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return
true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return
true;">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Re: [N8VEM: 19054] New to the mini-68k question<br>

Michael Haardt
2014-12-10 17:10:47 UTC
Post by John Coffman
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M filesystem that CP/M-68
can read.&nbsp; I think I have run into the same problem trying to port
Minix to the Mini-68K; the Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible
with the IBM PC Minix filesystem.<br>
The problem is swapped bytes; i.e., big endian vs. little endian.&nbsp;
In Minix, inode numbers are byte swapped, as well as disk sector
numbers.&nbsp; I'm betting that CP/M (little endian: Z80, Intel) and
CP/M-68 (big-endian) have the same issue.<br>
Having just followed the thread superficially, I understood that CP/M
68K uses a partition table. Is that correct? If so, cpmtools needs to
be told about skipping that with "offset".

Other than that, I never saw a CP/M 68k disk image. If you can create
an image with a few files, preferably text files, I can look at it.
Knowing output from "stat drive:" would help a lot.

The Minix FS, like old Unix FSs, is a bad example of not caring about
external data representation. Modern filesystems do that better. I
don't know about CP/M really, but if that's all, a small patch should
solve that.

Michael
Max Scane
2014-12-10 21:25:11 UTC
Writing a CP/M utility to read a FAT file system is fairly straight
forward. The issue you have under CP/M is that you need to bypass the BIOS
and talk to nativity to the underlying disk system.

Rather than implementing drivers into each utility, you need an API to
access the disk drivers at the block level.

Unfortunately we don't have a standard for that so any utility will be
fairly bespoke.

I have a read only implementation that works quite well on the Multicomp
which only has a single disk. Funny enough I have not really had the need
to export files from CP/M to FAT since I mainly create my code on a PC.

I think the "Holy Grail" for us would be to have a version of CP/M that
uses FAT as its native file system. However, I can't decide which is
better, writing a FAT BDOS replacement or writing a new OS that is CP/M
compatible. Probably the latter might be easier as the CP/M components
would be a sub-set of the overall capabilities.

When you look at it in that light, UZI or something similar might be a good
choice. Does Minix have any CP/M emulation?

Getting back to CP/M 68K, I thought I read that it supported the standard
IBM SSSD 8 inch disk format. and that you could read its files on any CP/M
system supporting that format. However, once you get into binary data you
would still need to take care of data formatting I guess.

I haven't played with CP/M 68K as yet (I'm one chip away) but I would think
as long as your disk definitions were the same (CP/M was supposed to be
disk format independent) you should be able to interchange disks.

Partition tables etc post date CP/M to some extent so they are really
implementation specific.

Cheers!

Max
Rich,
Ed,
RE: file transfer
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M filesystem that CP/M-68 can
read. I think I have run into the same problem trying to port Minix to the
Mini-68K; the Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible with the IBM PC Minix
filesystem.
The problem is swapped bytes; i.e., big endian vs. little endian. In
Minix, inode numbers are byte swapped, as well as disk sector numbers. I'm
betting that CP/M (little endian: Z80, Intel) and CP/M-68 (big-endian) have
the same issue.
When Will and I were working on the UNA bios (he on CP/M), he suggested
that BIOS support for the DOS FAT filesystem would be a good idea. It
looks like his assessment is right on the mark.
The "read-only" FAT12/16 codes are in the Mini-68K bios setup (pre-CP/M
booting) and also the UNA-bios, again (pre-CP/M booting). However, the
utility, as currently implemented, cannot write to a CP/M filesystem.
FAT12/16/32 is well understood, and I also know that writing to the fs
correctly is a lot more complicated than reading it. The good thing about
FAT is that it has a "superblock," which has all the fs parameters needed.
CP/M is a devil of a fs, since there is no superblock ANYWHERE. Correctly
attaching to a CP/M fs for reading or writing is often a matter of hit and
miss. Anyone who has had to configure the 'cpmtools' configuration file
knows the problem.
--John
Richard Cini
2014-12-10 21:47:46 UTC
Isn't a CP/M that has a FAT file system MS-DOS 1.0?? {ducking}

Sent from my iPhone
[...]
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M filesystem that CP/M-68 can read. I think I have run into the same problem trying to port Minix to the Mini-68K; the Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible with the IBM PC Minix filesystem.
The problem is swapped bytes; i.e., big endian vs. little endian. In Minix, inode numbers are byte swapped, as well as disk sector numbers. I'm betting that CP/M (little endian: Z80, Intel) and CP/M-68 (big-endian) have the same issue.
When Will and I were working on the UNA bios (he on CP/M), he suggested that BIOS support for the DOS FAT filesystem would be a good idea. It looks like his assessment is right on the mark.
The "read-only" FAT12/16 codes are in the Mini-68K bios setup (pre-CP/M booting) and also the UNA-bios, again (pre-CP/M booting). However, the utility, as currently implemented, cannot write to a CP/M filesystem.
FAT12/16/32 is well understood, and I also know that writing to the fs correctly is a lot more complicated than reading it. The good thing about FAT is that it has a "superblock," which has all the fs parameters needed. CP/M is a devil of a fs, since there is no superblock ANYWHERE. Correctly attaching to a CP/M fs for reading or writing is often a matter of hit and miss. Anyone who has had to configure the 'cpmtools' configuration file knows the problem.
--John
Max Scane
2014-12-10 22:22:51 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Good observation:&nbsp; With byte-length allocation vectors for small
disks (floppies), there is no byte swapping issue at all.<br>
CP/M trumps DOS, Windoze, Minix, and Linux!!!<br>
--John<br>
On 12/10/2014 02:14 PM, Max Scane wrote:
cite="mid:CADv-vyajwcQBfBPcyTXKiz4vzRyNP9X-ZoRkLxYqPz+***@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite">
Apart from the MSX I have a vague recollection that there was.
Richard Cini <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@verizon.net" target="_blank">***@verizon.net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
{ducking}<br>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 10, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Max Scane &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
FAT file system is fairly straight forward.&Acirc;&nbsp;
The issue you have under CP/M is that you need
to bypass the BIOS and talk to nativity to the
underlying disk system.
utility, you need an API to access the disk
drivers at the block level.</div>
that so any utility will be fairly bespoke.</div>
works quite well on the Multicomp which only
has a single disk.&Acirc;&nbsp; Funny enough I have not
really had the need to export files from CP/M
to FAT since I mainly create my code on a PC.</div>
have a version of CP/M that uses FAT as its
native file system.&Acirc;&nbsp; However, I can't decide
which is better, writing a FAT BDOS
replacement or writing a new OS that is CP/M
compatible.&Acirc;&nbsp; Probably the latter might be
easier as the CP/M components would be a
sub-set of the overall capabilities.</div>
something similar might be a good choice.&Acirc;&nbsp;
Does Minix have any CP/M emulation?</div>
that it supported the standard IBM SSSD 8 inch
disk format. and that you could read its files
on any CP/M system supporting that format.&Acirc;&nbsp;
However, once you get into binary data you
would still need to take care of data
formatting I guess.</div>
one chip away) but I would think as long as
your disk definitions were the same (CP/M was
supposed to be disk format independent) you
should be able to interchange disks.<br>
extent so they are really implementation
specific.</div>
4:02 AM, John Coffman <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com"
target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid
rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
Ed,<br>
RE:&Acirc;&nbsp; file transfer<br>
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M
filesystem that CP/M-68 can read.&Acirc;&nbsp; I
think I have run into the same problem
trying to port Minix to the Mini-68K; the
Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible
with the IBM PC Minix filesystem.<br>
The problem is swapped bytes; i.e., big
endian vs. little endian.&Acirc;&nbsp; In Minix,
inode numbers are byte swapped, as well as
disk sector numbers.&Acirc;&nbsp; I'm betting that
CP/M (little endian: Z80, Intel) and
CP/M-68 (big-endian) have the same issue.<br>
When Will and I were working on the UNA
bios (he on CP/M), he suggested that BIOS
support for the DOS FAT filesystem would
be a good idea.&Acirc;&nbsp; It looks like his
assessment is right on the mark.<br>
The "read-only" FAT12/16 codes are in the
Mini-68K bios setup (pre-CP/M booting) and
also the UNA-bios, again (pre-CP/M
booting).&Acirc;&nbsp; However, the utility, as
currently implemented, cannot write to a
CP/M filesystem.<br>
===========================================================<br>
FAT12/16/32 is well understood, and I also
know that writing to the fs correctly is a
lot more complicated than reading it.&Acirc;&nbsp;
The good thing about FAT is that it has a
"superblock," which has all the fs
parameters needed.&Acirc;&nbsp; CP/M is a devil of a
fs, since there is no superblock
ANYWHERE.&Acirc;&nbsp; Correctly attaching to a CP/M
fs for reading or writing is often a
matter of hit and miss.&Acirc;&nbsp; Anyone who has
had to configure the 'cpmtools'
configuration file knows the problem.<br>
===========================================================<br>
--John<span><br>
On 12/10/2014 03:18 AM, Richard Cini
wrote: </span>
original) comes with an xmodem
program which I found very handy.&Acirc;&nbsp;
Kermit in-rom might be an option but
I need to look into that. I also
have a "Hawthorne 68k" machine at
home -- I need to look at what
programs it had.&Acirc;&nbsp;</div>
was that it used the DOS FAT format
for its floppy disks so it was easy
to transfer files.&Acirc;&nbsp;<br>
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Dec 9, 2014, at 10:55 PM, Edward
Snider &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;

wrote:<br>
transfer files to and from the
mini-68k easily, post here or
email me.&Acirc;&nbsp; I ran into the
same issue, partition type 52</div>
from the rom (formatting,
copying files, etc.).&Acirc;&nbsp;
However I could not find an
xmodem type program, to build
into</div>
serial transfers from there,
or a way to transfer directly
with a pc to the CF card.</div>
software for it, but with no
easy transfer method, I set it
aside for a while.</div>
was a serial transfer program
in the ROM.&Acirc;&nbsp; That would make
things so easy.</div>
2014 8:37:47 PM UTC-6,
AltairManRich wrote: </span>
style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid
rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
break-word; color: rgb(0, 0,
0); font-size: 14px;
font-family:
Calibri,sans-serif;">
style="white-space:
pre-wrap;"> </span>Ok,

I definitely had the
memory protect and WS
jumpers wrong, so I
changed those. I took
the 128mb Viking card
and repartitioned it
into 4x32mb
partitions, the first
being a Windows (0x06)
partition. The second
is a FAT16 partition
that I changed the
type to 0x52. The
other two were
&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&Aring;&#8220;unformatted&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;
partitions of type
0x52. The BIOS POST
identifies the card as
&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&Aring;&#8220;C:
&Acirc;&nbsp;SCF128MMA&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not; but I
get the same
&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&Aring;&#8220;Select
Error&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not; message
when I try to init any
partition.</div>
style="white-space:
pre-wrap;"> </span>I&Atilde;&cent;&acirc;&#8218;&not;&acirc;&#8222;&cent;m

going to get a 64mb
SanDisk card from eBay
and see if that makes
a difference. Right
now at least I have a
single 32mb card that
works, so I can play
with that for a while.
More to come. Thanks
guys!</div>
Classic
Computers</div>
and lead
engineer,
Altair32
Emulator</div>
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini" target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32" target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
style="font-family:
Calibri; font-size:
11pt; text-align:
left; color: black;
border-width: 1pt
medium medium;
border-style: solid
none none;
border-color:
rgb(181, 196, 223)
-moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color;
padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span
style="font-weight:
bold;">From: </span>
John Coffman &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
style="font-weight:
bold;">Reply-To: </span>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
style="font-weight:
bold;">Date: </span>
Monday, December 8,
2014 at 11:37 AM<br>
style="font-weight:
bold;">To: </span>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
style="font-weight:
bold;">Subject: </span>
Re: [N8VEM: 19054]
New to the mini-68k
question<br>
bgcolor="#ffffff"
text="#000000">
Rich,<br>
If you are using
the Mini-68K rev.
2.0-007 board, the
memory protection
mechanism may be
getting in your
way.&Acirc;&nbsp; I have my
2.0-007 card set
for backward
compatibility with
the 1.0 card;
viz.,<br>
New, protection
mechanism <br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J10
OFF&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; &Acirc;&nbsp; no
/BERR generated<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J7&Acirc;&nbsp;
ON&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;
protect 1k<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J8&Acirc;&nbsp;
ON&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;
protect 1k<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J9&Acirc;&nbsp;
OFF&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;
version 1
compatible;
disable low memory
protection<br>
New, but not part
of protection
mechanism:<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J5&Acirc;&nbsp;
1-2&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; N8VEM
legacy Reset<br>
Old V1 jumpers:<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J1&Acirc;&nbsp; 1-2
&amp; 3-4&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;
Flash ROM<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; j3&Acirc;&nbsp;
1-2&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; fast
memory<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; j2&Acirc;&nbsp; 1-3
&amp; 2-4&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;
fast I/O<br>
&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; J4&Acirc;&nbsp;
OFF&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; 1mB
EXTERNAL MEMORY
(but none
installed)<br>
--John<br>
[...]
"N8VEM" group.<br>

Richard Cini
2014-12-10 22:44:16 UTC
The code for DOS is on CHM I believe. X86 of course, but it's out there.

Sent from my iPhone
Good observation: With byte-length allocation vectors for small disks (floppies), there is no byte swapping issue at all.
Post by Richard Cini
[...]
RE:Â file transfer
[...]
Will do, Ed. The Z80 sbc (the original) comes with an xmodem program which I found very handy. Kermit in-rom might be an option but I need to look into that. I also have a "Hawthorne 68k" machine at home -- I need to look at what programs it had.Â
The best thing about that board was that it used the DOS FAT format for its floppy disks so it was easy to transfer files.Â
Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
If you find a way to transfer files to and from the mini-68k easily, post here or email me. I ran into the same issue, partition type 52
working just fine with cp/m from the rom (formatting, copying files, etc.). However I could not find an xmodem type program, to build into
the rom image and then use serial transfers from there, or a way to transfer directly with a pc to the CF card.
I'd like to write some software for it, but with no easy transfer method, I set it aside for a while.
Nice computer, wish there was a serial transfer program in the ROM. That would make things so easy.
- Ed
John â€â€
Alan Cox
2014-12-11 13:49:19 UTC
Good question. Was there ever an 8 bit MS-DOS? Apart from the MSX I have
a vague recollection that there was.
MSXDOS 1 and 2 are the only ones I know of so I'm intrigued by that
recollection.

There are lots of third party OS's that can work with FAT format disks
on Z80 and 68000. In fact just about everyone except CP/M went that
way after MSDOS became a big thing.
Post by Max Scane
Writing a CP/M utility to read a FAT file system is fairly straight
forward. The issue you have under CP/M is that you need to bypass the BIOS
and talk to nativity to the underlying disk system.
Not always. If your BIOS is using 512 byte blocks then often it just
works (eg SD cards tend to move rather well). If it is floppy then you
tend to end up in a world of pain because raw floppy driver code is
incredibly system specific and often quite foul stuff to write.
Post by Max Scane
I think the "Holy Grail" for us would be to have a version of CP/M that
uses FAT as its native file system. However, I can't decide which is
In the 68K world it was called GEMDOS, and is what Digital Research
released to replace CP/M 68K. CP/M 68K was basically dead at birth.
MSDOS 1 buried CP/M on 8086 by being cheap, MSDOS 2 had directories,
file handles and other features so CP/M had to catch up very fast on
both 8086 and 68000.

GEMDOS is not CP/M however although the heritage is very clear just as
with MSDOS.
Post by Max Scane
better, writing a FAT BDOS replacement or writing a new OS that is CP/M
compatible. Probably the latter might be easier as the CP/M components
would be a sub-set of the overall capabilities.
GEMDOS source was made available at the same time as CP/M was freed.
Various groups cleaned it up and produced things like EmuTOS which is
a fairly retargettable implementation of GEMDOS for 68K platforms.

GEMDOS has a lot of software unlike CP/M 68K, in part because while
GEMDOS was not a huge success as of itself either it was used for the
older Atari ST computers as 'TOS' which was an Atari BIOS + GEMDOS
with GEM desktop running on top of it. Later Atari boxes shipped an
open source multi-tasking clone called MiNT (rebranded by Atari as
MultiTOS).

From a user viewpoint the GEMDOS command line on M68K is just like the
MSDOS one. MiNT feels similar but multi-tasks. With low memory that's
probably not that useful a feature however.
Post by Max Scane
When you look at it in that light, UZI or something similar might be a
good choice. Does Minix have any CP/M emulation?
You can run a CP/M emulator for Z80 code on Minix 68K fairly easily
given enough memory. Several of the Unix ones will fit and work. I
don't know of any CP/M 68K emulators, after all what would you run on
it ;-)

There was a minimal hack port of UZI to the 68000 processors but afaik
it never went anywhere. Apart from the lack of modern Unix APIs and
features (like networking) Minix runs rather nicely on 68000.
Post by Max Scane
I haven't played with CP/M 68K as yet (I'm one chip away) but I would
think as long as your disk definitions were the same (CP/M was supposed to
be disk format independent) you should be able to interchange disks.
It depends on the encoding your drive controller used and the block
size on the physical media and a few other things. For anything
vaguely modern it shouldn't be a problem.
Post by Max Scane
Partition tables etc post date CP/M to some extent so they are really
implementation specific.
GEMDOS tends to use the DOS ones.
Post by Max Scane
I take it 'cpmtools' will not write a CP/M filesystem that CP/M-68 can
read. I think I have run into the same problem trying to port Minix to the
Mini-68K; the Amiga Minix filesystem is incompatible with the IBM PC Minix
filesystem.
There are three different versions of the Minix file system in two
different endianisms. In addition to that some of the Amiga hard disk
controllers byteswap the data so moving the disk between devices gets
confusing too.

If you need to read an arbitrary minix filesystem you can do it on Linux 8)
Post by Max Scane
FAT12/16/32 is well understood, and I also know that writing to the fs
correctly is a lot more complicated than reading it
Writing it is easy, cleaning up the mess on a disk error or power
interrupt is just evil 8)

There are quite a few open source FAT12/FAT16 libraries.

Alan
2014-12-11 22:34:28 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
On 12/11/2014 05:49 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
cite="mid:CAK9X0+vyyQ=SOywFyTCQRsf4LE20xYs+***@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">If you need to read an arbitrary minix filesystem you can do it on Linux 8)
</pre>
Alan, if you can help me to do this, I will be very grateful.<br>
I can read Minix volumes produced on Intel machines; but not those
produced on the Amiga.&nbsp; At least I have not found a switch to get it
to swap the bytes in 'short' variable.&nbsp; Amiga Minix, at least,
identifies its big endian filesystem with a different magic number
than the Minix 1 and Minix 2 filesystems from Intel machines.<br>
I'm using several flavors of Linux, and all can r/w Minix
filesystems, but only the little endian versions.<br>
====================================================================<br>
BTW:&nbsp; Thank you for your other information.&nbsp; I never used CP/M,
GEMDOS, &amp;c. way back in the day ... &nbsp; I cut my PC teeth on
MSDOS.<br>

Alan Cox
2014-12-12 15:40:36 UTC
There's an old tool for it.

Took some fishing to find it, then discovered it was broken on 64bit
so I've cleaned it up while I was at it.

As it's a filesystem convertor and been fiddled with I'd treat it with care.

It does however still pass

minixflip disk09 disk09.native
fsck.minix disk09.native
minixflip disk09.native disk09.test
cmp disk09 disk09.test

(ie it flips one way, passes a file system check, flips back and
agrees with the original)

Other gotcha while I remember. If you are playing with the minix 68k
boot disks, then the first couple are in a funny format.
Borut
2014-12-10 22:14:47 UTC
Guys,

cpmtools can read and write CP/M-68 format without any problem.
I have an old MVME110 board running CP/M68k from a SD card
and i use cpmtools to move files to and from the SD card
You just have to write correct entry into diskdefs file for the format you
are using.
This is how it looks in my case for disks A: and B:

diskdef MVME110A
seclen 512
tracks 512
sectrk 32
blocksize 4096
maxdir 512
boottrk 1
os 2.2
end

diskdef MVME110B
seclen 512
tracks 1024
sectrk 32
blocksize 4096
maxdir 512
boottrk 512
os 2.2
end

lp, Bo/
Richard Cini
2014-12-12 01:43:05 UTC
Guys —

I was going to give cpmtools a try on Windows but I wondered if they could
access the partition at all since it’s not a readable by Windows. Do I need
to make it into a disk image and then manipulate that?

I downloaded a copy of Kermit-68k, but I need a C-compiler. I’ve seen
references to the Alcyon C-Compiler but I haven’t been able to find it as a
stand-alone. It seems to be part of the CP/M-68k distribution (in a modified
form) on cpm.z80.de.

When working with this board, do you compile natively or cross-compile then
move it to the disk image? What’s the definition for the disk (I tried
examining the BIOS09 files but I couldn’t immediately locate it).

Thanks!

Rich

Borut
2014-12-08 09:45:25 UTC
Rich, there is a gkermit for CP/M68k.
Usually i prefer cpmtools under linux to transfer files to and from CP/M.
I think it should also work under cygwin, but i have no concrete experience
with it.
Unfortunately, there is very little software on the net for CP/M 68k,
besides what is in the distribution.

Best regards,
Bo/