[N8VEM: 16560] ECB backplane PCBs arrived!
Andrew Lynch
2013-11-23 19:09:51 UTC
HI

The reordered ECB backplane PCBs have arrived!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
2013-12-07 16:46:50 UTC
RE: 12-slot backplane

Andrew and I came up with a revised version of the 12-slot backplane
some months ago. However, it has never been sent to be manufactured.

In the meantime, a couple of us have latched onto Siemens/Simatic
505-6508 card racks off of eBay (< $20), and would like to install an
N8VEM 12-slot backplane in the case. I have proposed a narrower 12-slot
backplane which would fit this case, and which should be acceptable to
all users. The only difference is the thickness of the board. I think
most users would want the 1/8" thick (stiff) backplane; but the Siemens
case will only accept a 1/16" board. Since either board would use the
same drill file, there would be a manufacturing cost saving to go with
this design for both parties.

As of this morning, I have not heard back from Andrew about my proposal
for the narrowerEEBishop board for both uses.

--John

[proposed 1/8" / 1/16" backplane layout attached]
Richard Cini
2013-12-07 16:59:47 UTC
I just checked out the rack on eBay. They look pretty nice. Will the
backplane inside of it work as-is? How are people dealing with the
different card sizes? At least the cards are stable on one-side.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
2013-12-07 21:39:18 UTC
Rich,

The Siemans/Symatec 505-6508 cases use a different backplane. It is
neither VME nor N8VEM, so it has to go. The attraction of the case is
that it holds the Eurocard 6U format [233.35mm x 160mm]. N8VEM cards
are 3U format [100mm x 160mm], so they would have support on only one
side. This is better than my current usage, which uses a 6-slot
backplane and no card guide on either side.

The 6U format includes most VME cards. But remember, the VME backplane
is a third variant. N8VEM cards are not compatible. The N8VEM standard
is derived from the Kontron backplane for Z80 systems.

[So far I have mentioned four (4) different backplanes, three of which
are incompatible: Siemens, VME, N8VEM/Kontron.]

The "6x0x" board currently in the works is designed to fit either an
ATX case or a Eurocard 6U case. The latter is the reason there is
interest in the Siemens cases at this time. In my opinion, add-on
boards would be easier to put in a Eurocard 6U case than into an ATX case.

The Siemens/Simatic cases: 505-6504/6508/6512 are being sold as scrap
on eBay these days. Siemens used 4 slots for power supply/other stuff,
so each case holds at least 4 more cards than its Siemens capacity;
i.e., the 6508 "8-slots" has room for 12 boards, with a new, N8VEM
backplane.

--John
Richard Cini
2013-12-07 21:59:18 UTC
John ‹

Thanks for the description. I assume that the pitch of the card guides
matches that of the N8VEM backplane? It might be wide enough for two
backplanes and some sort of power supply to power both. That way you could
have two different systems running in that cage.

Rich

AG5AT
2013-12-08 02:05:00 UTC
It may depend on which backplane you have. I have a 6 slot at 28 mm spacing and it doesn't. I had to cut the guides up and glue the pieces to the side.

Aug
John Coffman
2013-12-08 04:15:55 UTC
Aug,

Cutting an gluing card guides sounds like a yucky task.

The first N8VEM backplane had 6 connectors on 1.1" centers (28mm).
Realizing that this was not industry standard, the second version of the
N8VEM backplane placed 8 connectors on 0.8" centers.

The Eurocard standard is 0.8"; VME uses 0.8"; and the IBM PC uses 0.8"
centers.

I have an old S-100 backplane from Vector Electronics which places cards
on 1.5" centers. This is wide enough for 3-layer wire-wrapped boards.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a Eurocard 3U case
which would take N8VEM (100mm x 160mm) boards.

--John
Aug
John Coffman
2013-12-08 03:44:41 UTC
Rich,

The pitch of the cards is 0.8", which is the N8VEM spacing on the 8-slot
backplane (and the proposed 12-slot backplane). I think this is also a
Eurocard standard, since VME used that spacing, too.

The 505-6508 case is set up for only one backplane on the P1 Eurocard
connector. A backplane with two rows of 96-pin connectors could be
designed, and if the P2 connector were identical to the N8VEM P1
connector, then two systems could be in the case at once.

Right now the limitation is the up-front engineering cost of each new PC
board, be it processor, peripheral, or backplane.

--John
Richard Cini
2013-12-08 13:59:35 UTC
John —

Ok on the card pitch. I looked at the picture of one of those racks and
it looked like there was a metal bar supporting one side of the backplane
*and* it looked like the bar was wide enough that one could use it to hold
the edges of two cards stacked on top of each other...but maybe not. I
didn’t intend on having a different backplane board made — just stacking
two standard N8VEM back planes so as to utilize the top row of card guides
for another system.

Rich

Andrew Lynch
2013-12-07 19:32:26 UTC
Hi

These are the basic 8 slot version ECB backplane. Thanks and have a nice

2013-12-07 16:56:25 UTC
RE: 12-slot backplane

Andrew and I came up with a revised version of the 12-slot backplane
some months ago. However, it has never been sent to be manufactured.

In the meantime, a couple of us have latched onto Siemens/Simatic
505-6508 card racks off of eBay (< $20), and would like to install an
N8VEM 12-slot backplane in the case. I have proposed a narrower 12-slot
backplane which would fit this case, and which should be acceptable to
all users. The only difference is the thickness of the board. I think
most users would want the 1/8" thick (stiff) backplane; but the Siemens
case will only accept a 1/16" board. Since either board would use the
same drill file, there would be a manufacturing cost saving to go with
this design for both parties.

As of this morning, I have not heard back from Andrew about my proposal
for the narrower board for both uses.