[N8VEM: 19124] Alternate: the KISS board for 68030
John Coffman
2014-12-21 20:43:34 UTC
Dave,

When it was looking like I was not going to fit all of the components
onto the 68030 board which you currently have under review, I thought of
a total KISS approach to 68030 experimentation.

The idea is a 6U size board, fairly sparse, just a CPU, experimental
DRAM memory, and an N8VEM bus connector. The innovation is NOT to
require that someone have a backplane to experiment with this board, but
to put one or two female DIN 41612 connectors on the board; i.e., make
it its own backplane, or motherboard.

A sparse board stands a good chance to be able to be routed as a 2-layer
board, rather than as a 4-layer board, a necessity when the chip density
gets too high. For an unproven design, the 2-layer board has all
connections accessible, not to mention the far lower tooling costs.

Your thoughts?

--John
Alan Cox
2014-12-21 22:38:09 UTC
Only comment I would add is that if its intended as an experimentation
board it might be good to not just provide the N8VEM bus connector
(which is rather limited for a 68030 even for disk I/O) but also
something more "native" ?