[N8VEM: 16791] Zeta SBC and ParPortProp reorder
Sergey
2013-12-18 23:24:42 UTC

I run out of ParPortProp PCBs and I am getting low in Zeta SBC PCBs. Does
anyone have plans to order any of these any time soon?
Also I considering to order and offer preprogrammed flash ROMs and FDC9266
or FDC9268 FDC ICs.

Thanks,
Sergey
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-22 06:59:23 UTC
Post by Sergey
Hi,
I run out of ParPortProp PCBs and I am getting low in Zeta SBC PCBs. Does
anyone have plans to order any of these any time soon?
I do!
Just sent a private email with details.

Bye,
Fabio
Jim Strickland
2013-12-25 07:49:45 UTC
If you're considering a respin of the Zeta before ordering the new boards, may I suggest a thru-hole plcc socket for the 16x50 uart socket? It would make finding fast uarts with auto-flow control that works a lot easier.

That said, it's a fine little machine you've designed here. Having way too much fun with it. :)

-JRS
Max Scane
2013-12-25 22:38:08 UTC
And if you changed the 82C55 to PLCC also, you could fit a PPIDE interface on board also.

Cheers!

Max

Sent from my iPad
Sergey
2013-12-26 03:57:57 UTC
Jim: I am glad you're enjoying your Zeta. Using UART in PLCC packages is an
interesting idea. UARTs in PLCC-44 packages are much more available,
especially with advanced features (auto flow control, extended baud rates,
bigger FIFO).

Max: I think it is easier to get 8255 in regular DIP package. Intersil
currently makes CP82C55 chips, and additionaly there are tones of older
8255/PDIP chips available elsewhere (eBay, various electronic components
distributors). While Intersil also makes PLCC-44 PPIs (CS82C55), for some
reason they are more expensive than PDIP ones... PPIDE can be easily added
to Zeta using a separate PPIDE board.

I am still toying with the idea of making of Zeta+PPP board (less FDC). If
this gets implemented, I'll use PLCC-44 UART and a pair of MAX232 to make
both DSR/DTR and RTS/CTS signals available (I actually prefer a pair of
MAX232 instead of other RS-232 transceivers with more channels, as MAX232
and compatible ICs more available and cheaper).

Thanks,
Sergey
Post by Jim Strickland
That said, it's a fine little machine you've designed here. Having way
too much fun with it. :)
Post by Jim Strickland
-JRS
Jim Strickland
2013-12-26 06:52:08 UTC
In my travels searching for dip 16650s (I theoretically found some - waiting for the package to arrive) I stumbled across quite a number of plcc uarts that gave two or more 16550/650 compatible rs232 lines. If you want multiple ports on the main board, they might be the way to go. I'm looking at the 16c2550, for example. (Ye gods, it comes in a DIP package, even, but is also available in plcc.) http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7272.pdf.

I hesitate to give advice, as my Zeta is my first scratch-built computer, but I thought I should call your attention to these uarts, at any rate.

-JRS