[N8VEM: 19164] FreeRouting Windows binary
'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM
2014-12-30 17:34:10 UTC
Hi

Has anyone tried the FreeRouting Windows binary available from here
https://github.com/freerouting/freerouting

It looks like Alfons posted FreeRouting as Open Source (at last!) a few
months ago but received some grief from Zuken legal department. It looks
like the frenzy has died down since the FSF stepped in since the FreeRouting
source has been available publicly for months with no serious push back
AFAIK.

It seems to me if there were a serious legal challenge to the GPL V3 license
then there would have been a DMCA takedown notice by now. I am guessing the
push back from Zuken was an ill-conceived bluff or possibly an attempt to
browbeat Alfons instead of a valid legal challenge. But I am not a lawyer
so I don't know. My personal observations don't mean anything though.

Prior to the FreeRouting Windows binary at Github, there was one posted I
used for a while but it seemed to have problems and would corrupt the PCB
after long optimization runs. It was very frustrating to try and finish a
board only to see the trace routing get mangled late in the run. Generally
they were repairable but required a lot of manual work "push and shove" to
clear up all the clearance violations.

Has anyone tried the Github and/or previous FreeRouting Windows binary and
did they work properly? Did either introduce PCB corruption?

Thanks

Andrew Lynch
2014-12-30 19:37:55 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Andrew,<br>
Thanks for the pointer to that binary.&nbsp; When I have Windows booted,
I'll give it a try.<br>
I HAVE successfully run the FreeRouting Java from source within the
NetBeans framework, both under Linux and under Windows.&nbsp; Someone in
the loop is compiling that source, because the Linux version now
runs as fast as the Windows version.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/30/2014 09:34 AM, 'Andrew Lynch' via N8VEM wrote:
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:#0563C1;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:#954F72;
text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
binary available from here&nbsp; <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://github.com/freerouting/freerouting">https://github.com/freerouting/freerouting</a><o:p></o:p></p>
Open Source (at last!) a few months ago but received some
grief from Zuken legal department.&nbsp; It looks like the frenzy
has died down since the FSF stepped in since the FreeRouting
source has been available publicly for months with no serious
push back AFAIK.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p>
legal challenge to the GPL V3 license then there would have
been a DMCA takedown notice by now.&nbsp; I am guessing the push
back from Zuken was an ill-conceived bluff or possibly an
attempt to browbeat Alfons instead of a valid legal
challenge.&nbsp; But I am not a lawyer so I don&#8217;t know.&nbsp; My
personal observations don&#8217;t mean anything though.<o:p></o:p></p>
Github, there was one posted I used for a while but it seemed
to have problems and would corrupt the PCB after long
optimization runs.&nbsp; It was very frustrating to try and finish
a board only to see the trace routing get mangled late in the
run.&nbsp; Generally they were repairable but required a lot of
manual work &#8220;push and shove&#8221; to clear up all the clearance
violations.<o:p></o:p></p>
FreeRouting Windows binary and did they work properly?&nbsp; Did
either introduce PCB corruption?<o:p></o:p></p>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />